Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using windows 7 laptop to reinstall 8.1 on another HDD

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 blake87

blake87

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 02:23 PM

Hello 16x16_smiley-happy.gif

I posted this a few months back so you can get some idea of my problem - http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/System-Recovery-and-Recovery/Satellite-C50-B-14D-not-booting/td-p/67952...

So, I have since purchased a sata caddy, recovered all the files I wanted to keep to my windows 7 laptop.

The 500gb hard drive from the Toshiba is now FULLY wiped and formatted and back in the laptop.

I have a 32gb SD card in a USB adapter (making it a flash drive(?))

I have downloaded an ISO of windows 8.1 (approx 3.9gb - preactivated apparently) which in the folder also contains rufus 2.9 and KMSpico activator. I have no idea what my windows key was from when I purchased my laptop with it preinstalled although I have the laptop box and everything that came with it. I also have the USD flash drive from when I first set up the laptop to save some sort of restoration point as suggested by the advisor in the shop.

So I have a windows 7 laptop, the Toshiba with a fully wiped hard drive, a 16gb usb and a sata caddy if required.

Have tried to use various ISO mounting softwares but they mention bootsect... of which I have downloaded and put in the same folder as the ISO and the software for mounting to be sure.

I have tried the cmd with the disk part, clean, active, format fs=32... (I'm sure you know what I mean?) but wouldn't format and had an error code, something about it being too large a size(?).

I would really appreciate a more understandable method of either getting windows back on my formatted hard drive or at least make the USB bootable with the ISO on so that I can use that instead of a CD/DVD as I do not have a CD/DVD drive on either laptop.

Do I need to create partitions, format in a different way, can't an iso just be copied on to the USB? 

Thanks in advance! 

Blake

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 02:54 PM

ISO's Cant just be "copied" to flashdrives they have to be written., and rufus is mainly for creating LINUX boot disks since it uses EXT(2,3,4) and not NTFS

First off, the "Pre-Activated" windows might not be safe ESPECIALLY if it was torrented (Which i do NOT recommend at all).

I do Not Condone Software Pirating.

Open Diskpart. CMD>Diskpart.

type in, List Disk

Select Disk 0   (replacing 0 with whatever diskpart sees your flashdrive as)

Clean

Create Partition Primary

Exit

That said. download PowerISO (free to use) http://www.poweriso.com/download.php

once done,run PowerISO as ADMIN.

Once PowerISO is open, go to: Tools>Crreate Bootable USB Drive.

Select your ISO image.

Select Your flashdrive

Start.

Plug your Extra HDD in (if you want to install windows on it)

Boot to USB. and when asked where to install windows,select the drive you wish.

Hope that helps you out in anyway and again

I DO NOT CONDONE SOFTWARE PIRATING.

-ViperSec.

Edited by Viper_Security, 07 July 2016 - 02:58 PM.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#3 blake87

blake87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 03:02 PM

Thanks, I shall give it a try.

I had no other option other than to do this. I had a version with my laptop when purchased it brand new but I think that the laptop should have come with the version installed on a CD as I paid for the laptop to come with the OS on it. It is almost like they do it on purpose so if a laptop has to be wiped, we have to purchased windows again.

Will let you know if this works!

P.s. If I plug my sata caddy in with the hard drive from the other laptop, would I be able to install it on there and it boot up from HDD and autorun the installation?

#4 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 03:06 PM

Thanks, I shall give it a try.

I had no other option other than to do this. I had a version with my laptop when purchased it brand new but I think that the laptop should have come with the version installed on a CD as I paid for the laptop to come with the OS on it. It is almost like they do it on purpose so if a laptop has to be wiped, we have to purchased windows again.

Will let you know if this works!

P.s. If I plug my sata caddy in with the hard drive from the other laptop, would I be able to install it on there and it boot up from HDD and autorun the installation?

If your PC came with windows 8 or 8.1 the number is in the bios and it should read it automatically.

yes, you CAN install it on the OTHER hard drive (not the one inside your laptop currently) but to boot it you'd have to install the hdd so it sees it all the time like the internal hdd.

So, you'd start the install like normal but instead of selecting your internal hdd you would select the other one, but like i said if you want to boot to it, it'd have to inside your PC, always connected.

Edited by Viper_Security, 07 July 2016 - 03:07 PM.

hQBT2G3.png

#5 blake87

blake87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 04:30 PM

What i mean is, rather than mounting the ISO the the USB flash... can i mount it to the external HDD (the one in the caddy from my newer laptop)?.

Whilst I was typing my first post on here, I was using rufus and selected different options such as fat32 not ntfs when formatting, i have managed to get to the set up screen. I cant do an upgrade as i have no version installed so i have to do custom, but it says "windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, windows can only be installed to GPT disks."

#6 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 04:33 PM

What i mean is, rather than mounting the ISO the the USB flash... can i mount it to the external HDD (the one in the caddy from my newer laptop)?.

Whilst I was typing my first post on here, I was using rufus and selected different options such as fat32 not ntfs when formatting, i have managed to get to the set up screen. I cant do an upgrade as i have no version installed so i have to do custom, but it says "windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, windows can only be installed to GPT disks."

you could but it wouldn't do anything since you'd have to format it anyways to install windows.

and the GPT/MBR thing, you have to go into your bios and turn legacy boot on/secure boot off.

hQBT2G3.png

#7 blake87

blake87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 04:40 PM

I managed to find a tutorial... F10 then disk part, clean, convert GPT... then restarted. Copied windows files now at 4% getting files ready for installation... seems to be doing the trick! Any problems from now I shall let you know. I dont have a working cursor so having to tab and use keyboard. Hopefully it will appear once installed. Thanks :)

#8 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 04:48 PM

I managed to find a tutorial... F10 then disk part, clean, convert GPT... then restarted. Copied windows files now at 4% getting files ready for installation... seems to be doing the trick! Any problems from now I shall let you know. I dont have a working cursor so having to tab and use keyboard. Hopefully it will appear once installed. Thanks :)

OHHHHH I Understand now, no worries, gl hf!

hQBT2G3.png

#9 blake87

blake87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 07:36 PM

Once installed, it didn't have a wireless adapter installed. I put in the USB which I had originally used as a back up/factory reset when I first purchased the laptop and it is doing recovery to default software. Hoping this works! Surely I'd be using my original windows then as it had to delete the partition I installed earlier..?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users