Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavilion Elite HPE needs help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mel1960

mel1960

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 02:10 PM

Hello Bleeping Computer, 

Before I begin, I would like to Thank the Moderators for moving this topic to the appropriate category if it is not already.  Also, Thank You in advance to those who respond to my post and help me figure out what's going on with my computer. 

I have a HP Pavilion Elite HPE running Windows 7 Home Premium. I had purchased this computer new in September 2010 and upgraded the PSU to a Corsair RM650 and the graphics card to a AMD Radeon R7 240 series about two years ago. I would prefer to keep this computer running for a couple more years if possible. Now I say a couple years but if anyone should think after seeing my computer specs and the age of my computer that I should just start fresh and buy or build a new computer please don't hesitate to say so.

I run a couple of games such as Trainz 2012 Train Simulator and Run8 Train Simulator as well as use e-mail, watch videos and a couple of programs. 

The recommended requirements for Trainz is:

• Processor: Core 2 Duo (or equivalent),
  • Memory: 2 GB RAM,
  • Graphics: nVidia GeForce 8800 (or equiv)
  • Hard Drive: Approx. 16GB hard drive space,
  • Sound: DirectX 9.0c or compatible Sound Card,
  • DirectX 9.0c
  • Mouse and keyboard

Computer does an OK job of running this program but will lag behind quite a bit even with the upgraded graphics card. 

The recommended requirements for Run8 Train Simulator are:

Run 8 Train Simulator runs on MAC with VM Ware/Windows Vista/XP/Win7 32/64 bit/ Windows 8 and Windows 10 operating systems. And 800 MB of hard drive space is needed.

These are the minimum computer specs that we recommend:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5600+ 2.80 GHz
RAM: 3 Gb RAM (run8 will only use around 2 max due to DotNet memory management stuff.)

Video Card: GeForce GT440 1Gb VRAM 

Runs a lot better than Trainz maybe because it does not install itself into the Windows registry? 

The issues I am experiencing are as follows:

1.) I have lost the ability to play DVD's and CD's with this computer. Autoplay seems to have been deleted or disabled and not sure how to revive it.

2.) Computer tends to be very slow and will hang up at times while on the internet reading google news or watching youtube videos which tend to be very jerky and will stop playing even after I have turned off the computer. 

3.) When I attempt to install Internet Explorer because some programs just seem to run better using IE, the install  tells me I already have a more recent version of IE installed on my computer. Not sure where this would be but I can't seem to find it. 

A question I have is after entering the system information and seeing the age of my BIOS, should this be updated and if so, how would I go about doing this.

My system information is below.

OS Name - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Version - 6.1.7601

System Manufacture - HP Pavilion

System Model - BK170AA - ABA HPE - 210y

System Type - x64 Based PC

Processor - AMD Phenom™ X4 945 Processor, 3000 Mhz, 1 Core(s),  1 Processor(s)

BIOS  Version/Date  American Megatrends Inc. 5.09, 1/22/2010

SMBIOS Version 2.6

Windows Directory  C:\Windows

System Directory   C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device  \Device\HarddiskVolume 1

Locale - United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer - Version = "6.1.7601.17514"

Time Zone - Pacific Daylight Time

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB

Total Physical Memory - 16.0 GB

Available Physical Memory - 10.3 GB

Total Virtual Memory - 23.8 GB

Available Virtual Memory - 18.7 GB

Page File Space - 7.81 GB

Page File - C:\pagefile.sys

Thanks Again Everyone for your time and assistance.

Mel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 08 July 2016 - 02:59 PM

Have you tried reinstalling W7?

This will wipe out all your stuff, so be sure to backup your data before doing this.

To reinstall W7, tap F11 as the system starts - that'll take you to the recovery partition.

Beyond that, you can try these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html.

Unfortunately, there's not a bunch of things to repair W7 with (and I haven't worked with W7 much since W8 and W10 came out).

Here's a list of repair options:

here's some repair/recovery/restore options (in this order):

- System Restore to a point before this started happening.

- DISM/SFC repair (DISM doesn't work with W7, although SFC does)

Then please run the following DISM commands to see if there's any problems with the system (from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt).  Press Enter after each one:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

FYI - I have repaired systems using the last command even though problems weren't found with the first 2 - so I suggest running them all.

From this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

You can also run sfc.exe /scannow from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt to check for further corruption.

- RESET using the "Keep My Files" option (W8 calls this a REFRESH; W7 and earlier doesn't have this function)

- Repair install of the OS (Thanks to FreeBooter!):

"How To Perform a Repair Installation For Windows 8, 8.1 and 10"
    https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-8-and-8-1.html

"How to Do a Repair Install to Fix Windows 7"
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

"How To Perform a Repair Installation For Vista"
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html

"Non-destructive reinstall of Windows XP"
    https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-xp.html

- RESET using the "Remove Everything" option (W8 calls this a RESET; W7 and earlier doesn't have this function)

If using W7 or earlier, this can be accomplished by resetting the system by use of the recovery partition/recovery disks/recovery drive.
If you don't have them, you can usually order them from the OEM manufacturer of your system ( US points of contact here:  http://www.carrona.org/recdisc.html )

- Wipe and reinstall from the Recovery Partition (if so equipped)

- Wipe and reinstall from Recovery Media - to include deleting all partitions.
If you don't have them, you can usually order them from the OEM manufacturer of your system ( US points of contact here:  http://www.carrona.org/recdisc.html )

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 09 July 2016 - 07:40 PM

Hello mel1960

Let's get some information about your computer

Collecting Information using Speccy
Download and open Speccy (This is a portable version because the installer bundles unwanted programs)
You will see a spinning circle at the bottom. Wait for it to finish and disappear
Go to File > Publish Snapshot
A warning will appear of publishing the snapshot, click Yes
Now, a window will come, and click on Copy to Clipboard and paste it into your next reply

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users