Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

avast! buys AVG in a $1.3b deal.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 11:24 AM

Avast has announced plans to acquire AVG in a $1.3 billion deal which will combine the antivirus products of both companies.

On Thursday, the Prague, Czech Republic-based company said an agreement has been reached which will see AVG bought out for $1.3 billion in an all-cash deal, made possible through cash on hand and debt financing.

Avast will offer $25 per share to AVG investors, a premium of over 30 percent on current trading prices.

Source: http://www.zdnet.com/article/avast-snaps-up-rival-antivirus-firm-avg-in-1-3-billion-deal/

Credits to Porthos on the Malwarebytes forums for reporting it there.

Press release from avast!:
https://press.avast.com/avast-announces-agreement-to-acquire-avg-for-13b

Other article(s):
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-07/avast-to-buy-avg-for-1-3-billion-adding-security-software
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-avg-tech-m-a-avast-idUSKCN0ZN0IA
https://techcrunch.com/2016/07/07/avast-acquires-antivirus-maker-avg-for-1-3bn-to-gain-scale-and-dive-into-iot-security/

If they want to get back in the game, all they have to do is ditch PC TuneUp, Web TuneUp, SecureSearch, etc. (as well as avast!'s counterparts), and implement AVG's technology in their product. Also, shift the focus to current threats: EK, Ransomware, etc.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,864 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 11:36 AM

Not surprising as avast is majority owned by two private equity firms,  CVC capital and Summit Partners. Personally, I think avast went downhill after it became owned by private equity. Hopefully these private equity firms are not intending to simply flip their investment. 

#3 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 11:37 AM

Antivirus firm Avast to Buy its rival AVG for $1.3 Billion

Antivirus company Avast Software is planning to acquire Dutch rival AVG Technologies for $1.3 Billion in cash.

Avast announced today that it would buy Amsterdam-based AVG Technologies for $25 per share in an all-cash transaction valued at $1.3 Billion in an aim to expand its presence in the emerging markets.

Greets!

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,098 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 03:26 PM

I wouldn't use AVG if they paid me to use it and I have lost a lot of respect for avast which IMO has been going downhill in the past couple years.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 02:44 PM

We use AVG cloudcare for antivirus and their RemoteIT which is built in for free forever. I always thought AVG was way bigger than Avast and this is kind of a shock to me. Can anyone tell me if this is a good or bad thing? AVG support was seriously lacking and still has many problems with their Cloudcare but it's the only one with built in remoteit which we have to have for support.

Edited by hamluis, 11 July 2016 - 03:23 PM.
Merged topics - Hamluis.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,864 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 03:27 PM

We use AVG cloudcare for antivirus and their RemoteIT which is built in for free forever. I always thought AVG was way bigger than Avast and this is kind of a shock to me. Can anyone tell me if this is a good or bad thing? AVG support was seriously lacking and still has many problems with their Cloudcare but it's the only one with built in remoteit which we have to have for support.

I wouldn't hold my breath on AVG being around after the merger is complete. Expect some job losses too. And by the way, avast just removed Remote Assistance from all their products.

#7 ATY

ATY

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 03:36 PM

Avast is a good free antivirus for people that are looking to replace Windows Defender. Although it is good in general, but I still find ads, re-register every year, and DeepScreen doesn't work right. 

#8 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 03:41 PM

I wouldn't hold my breath on AVG being around after the merger is complete. Expect some job losses too. And by the way, avast just removed Remote Assistance from all their products.

Ofcourse our account manager said not to worry about a thing. This is going to be a disaster considering we have this on over 500 computers and there isn't an antivirus product that works like Cloudcare with Remote support.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,098 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 04:57 PM

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 05:43 PM

It says in the press release that Avast plans to use both brands. Once the sale closes in a couple of months, I'm sure we'll find out exactly what that means.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,864 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 06:58 PM

It says in the press release that Avast plans to use both brands. Once the sale closes in a couple of months, I'm sure we'll find out exactly what that means.

Correct. Only time will tell but avast or the equity firms that own avast, CVC and Summit, took on an additional 1.7billion in debt financing for the acquisition. It seems like there will need to be some consolidation including R&D, finance, and other departments. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users