Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to connect to internet

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:46 AM

I just finished getting assistance in the infected/virus forum.  After all the various scans and tests, it appears that my computer is not infected with a virus after all. Evidently we have discovered that my hard drive has many problems and issues that will require a new hard drive.  However, before I purchase a new hard drive, there is still some data that I would like to save to a portable hard drive and some other data that I would like to save to my isp storage. The problem is is that I am unable to connect to the internet.  The Forum Tech from the Virus Forum directed me to this forum for further assistance.  I will paste the link from the virus forum that has the notes and scan logs for your review. 

I appreciate any help you can provide, Thank you!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/618509/wispthisexe-bad-image-error-possible-knctr-virus/

hYlAnDeR~TFC~
[OF/FA] Orion Faction-Retired
Game Squad Fleet Admiral~Retired

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 10:23 AM

You can do this with a live linux disk such as Parted Magic you can download here. Burn the iso file to disk or use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive. Once at the desktop mount your drives (partitions) according to this guide. Once the drives are mounted connect to internet by clicking on the network icon in the lower right. It will search for available wifi networks. Click on the connect button and provide your wifi password. You can then use firefox to upload your files using the File Manager.

Your partitions in Parted Magic will be labeled sda1...sda2.. depending on the number of partitions. On a Windows 7 computer your windows partition is probably sda2. 

This will depend on if Parted Magic has the available driver for you wifi chipset. If not then you may need to download a different linux iso.

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 July 2016 - 10:32 AM.

#3 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 12:27 PM

The reason your not getting online is your missing your NIC driver.

Name: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Description: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Class Guid: {4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Manufacturer: Realtek
Service: RTL8167
Device ID: PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_E0001458&REV_06\4&6AE81F7&0&00E2
Problem: : This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)
Resolution: Update the driver

#4 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 02:01 PM

When I get home from work tonight, I will d/l the missing NIC driver to my flash drive and then install / update it.  Hopefully this will do the trick.  My current hard drive has very many read errors on it and the prior forum tech advised me that my hard drive may be heading toward failure.  When I ran the windows repair program, from tweaking.com, on every occasion it notified me after only about 10 to 20 percent of the drive scan that I have errors on the drive and recommended that I backup my data.  So, although the various scans, logs and repairs I have completed per my other issue on the other forum have been completed, my system is somewhat stable now. 

Do I just simply Google search for the Realtek NIC driver for Windows 7 home edition, download it onto my flash drive on my good computer and then install it onto my bad computer and reboot?

hYlAnDeR~TFC~

#5 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 02:27 PM

What model computer or motherboard do you have? Should also come on any Driver and Utility CD that came with the PC.

#6 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 03:07 PM

I think it is an ASUS Mobo.  I will check when I get home.  The computer is just over 4 yrs old.  I will also look for the CD in the box of items it came in.  The system is a custom built from Fry's Electronics.  I basically picked what pieces of hardware I wanted and had them build it for me and install the OS. 

hYlAnDeR~TFC~

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,618 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 03:15 PM

Personally, I wouldn't try installing anything on a failing hard drive. 

#8 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 04:15 PM

So, do you think reinstalling the missing NIC driver is a waste of time? I just need an internet connection so I can send up some of my data to my ISP storage and forward some email that I need to keep.  Otherwise, I am picking up a portable hard drive this weekend to back up some of my other data that I have not backed up in the last 3 months. 

hYlAnDeR~TFC~

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,618 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 05:49 PM

I wouldn't say it was a waste of time. I gave my opinion on using a linux disk created on another computer. From your thread it looks like you have serious hard drive issues. If you want to try installing your driver, go ahead but my thought is you want to avoid stressing the drive any further by writing to it. 

#10 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 11:24 AM

Well, my Mobo is actually a Gigatyte. I found my Utility disk and tried to install the Ethernet drivers. However, I got an error message and it would not install.

The error window message states:

Atheros AR81Famly Driver Installer

"installer can't find Atheros AR81 Family Ethernet controller on your system."

Any idea of what to do next? 

Thanks.

hYlAnDeR~TFC~

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,618 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 11:35 AM

Well, my Mobo is actually a Gigatyte. I found my Utility disk and tried to install the Ethernet drivers. However, I got an error message and it would not install.

The error window message states:

Atheros AR81Famly Driver Installer

"installer can't find Atheros AR81 Family Ethernet controller on your system."

Any idea of what to do next? 

Thanks.

According to your logs you have a Realtek Ethernet Controller not a Atheros. If you want to install the Realtek driver you can download it here and copy it to a Flash drive then install.

Win7 and Server 2008 R2 Auto Installation Program (SID:1852220)
7.100 2016/6/27 10417k Global

Is there a yellow exclamation mark next to your Network Adapter in Device Manager?

#12 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 12:06 PM

Yes, there is a yellow exclamation mark.

Sorry for misunderstanding about my mobo.  I was just answering a previous post about what momo I had and I thought I had a asus, but was mistaken.

I understand now about the Realtek Ethernet Controller. 

I will go ahead and d/l it onto a flash drive and then try to install it and see what happens.

Thanks for your patience and help.

hYlAnDeR~TFC~

#13 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 12:27 PM

ok , I reinstalled the correct Ethernet drivers, rebooted, but still not able to connect to internet.  I attempted to ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew, but message stated that the operation failed as no  adapter is in the state permissible for this operation.

I attempted to run the trouble shooting in windows networking, it just says no connections are available and/or not currently connected to any networks.

I checked all my connections and reset them all, still no connection.

hYlAnDeR~TFC~

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,618 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 12:52 PM

Does it still show a yellow exclamation mark next to Network Adapters? If it does I would do as I posted and try booting Parted Magic (post #2) and see if you can connect.

#15 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 06:40 PM

Yes, it still has the yellow exclamation point on the Network driver in device manager.

The Parted Magic steps may be a bit too much for me to follow.  I guess I will attempt it later tonight or tomorrow.  Are there any other easier alternatives?

Thanks.

hYlAnDeR~TFC~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users