Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do you use the built-in automatic backup feature File History on Win 8.1 and 10?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 05:12 AM

Hi all!

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17128/windows-8-file-history

File History regularly backs up versions of your files in the Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, and Desktop folders and the OneDrive files available offline on your PC. Over time, you'll have a complete history of your files. If the originals are lost, damaged, or deleted, you can restore them. You can also browse and restore different versions of your files. For example, if you want to restore an older version of a file (even if it wasn't deleted or lost), you can browse through a timeline, select the version you want, and restore it.

Do you use the built-in automatic backup feature File History on Win 8.1 and 10?

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 08 July 2016 - 04:33 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 michelmau5

michelmau5

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 05:45 AM

If you have enough disk space I would definitely use it.

#3 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 05:57 AM

Hi, michelmau5!

Thank you very much for the prompt and insightful reply! :)

Yes, I am using it and have a SAMSUNG 850 PRO 1TB SSD and an external BUFFALO DriveStation DDR 3TB USB3.0 :thumbup2:.

Thank you very much for the help! :)

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 08 July 2016 - 04:35 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#4 neuronic

neuronic

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:42 AM

Hi all!

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17128/windows-8-file-history

File History regularly backs up versions of your files in the Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, and Desktop folders and the OneDrive files available offline on your PC. Over time, you'll have a complete history of your files. If the originals are lost, damaged, or deleted, you can restore them. You can also browse and restore different versions of your files. For example, if you want to restore an older version of a file (even if it wasn't deleted or lost), you can browse through a timeline, select the version you want, and restore it.

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,

midimusicman79

I don't personally and I also don't recommend it to my clients. It doesn't really offer any security and is just a copy of the files you use. There are better managed solutions out there that are paid but that don't break the bank. 

#5 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:15 AM

Hi, neuronic!

Thank you for the prompt and informative reply! :)

...There are better managed solutions out there that are paid but that don't break the bank.

Yes, I already know that, and therefore I have Acronis True Image 2016 for full system backup as well as full disk imaging, in addition to File History. :thumbup2:

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 19 July 2016 - 06:47 AM.

#6 neuronic

neuronic

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:36 AM

Hi, neuronic!

Thank you for the prompt and informative reply! :)

...There are better managed solutions out there that are paid but that don't break the bank.

Yes, I already know that, and therefore I have Acronis True Image 2016 for full system backup as well as full disk imaging, in addition to File History. :thumbup2:

Regards,

midimusicman79

Yeah I hear you, I'm a certified Acronis Engineer. But that isn't exactly what I mean. With that tool you have to manually verify that your backups recover. 

With a managed solution usually someone (a security or backup engineer) validates your backup for you on a daily basis, and then starts your backup as a vm to ensure it will boot when you need it to. Usually it is automated as is the case with what I use. 

They boot it to the login screen and then shut it down after that. 

So basically you get a backup engineer to back you up and resolve issues with the backups if they aren't working properly. 

#7 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:10 AM

Hi again, neuronic!

Yeah, I remember from my other topic, that you use; and I quote:

Synapse Managed Cloud Backup | Onsite/Offsite backup-recovery via local speedvault & offsite cloud, standby image (vhdx), plus Bare metal recovery.

As it happens, I am comfortable with ATI 2016 and the way it works. :thumbsup:

Regards,

midimusicman79

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users