Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Unable to Boot to Hard Drive - Shows in BIOS

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Alestrya

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 02:01 AM

I have a laptop that can currently see the two hard drives in the BIOS under Advanced -> Sata configuration but I am unable to boot to them as they do not show in the boot options.

Computer: ASUS ROG G751JM
HDD0: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 on Master
HDD1: HGST 1TB Hard Drive on Slave
BIOS version: 206 (Latest)
Operating system: Windows 10 on SSD

A little background on this issue:
Originally about 8 months ago, HDD1 had Windows 8 but failed to re-install properly(and I wanted a faster drive) so SSD was installed. When trying to run the latest Windows update, it tried failed and tried to boot off the hard drive(Win8) instead of the SSD(Win10). To resolve the issue, I tried to delete the partitions from HDD1 but was unable to. So I decided to just dban the old hard drive since it was acting up. I removed the SSD and tried to boot from flash drive to wipe the old hard drive. This is when the issue started happening.

The BIOS did not recognize the flash drive. So I decided that I would put back the SSD and just take out the HDD. Now, the computer stopped booting to windows and stopped showing the SSD as an option in the BIOS. I tried all combinations of just SSD, just HDD, and both in combinations of master and slave. It shows the hard drives under the sata configuration but not as a boot option.

When this did not work, I tried disabling secure boot and enable CSM and PXE. I verified the SATA configuration was set to AHCI. Also tried taking out the battery and letting the computer sit for an hour.

Any ideas would be appreciated as I have been working on this for 12 hours. Thank you!

(Forum mods, if I put this in the wrong place, please move it. I did not see a forum location for BIOS issues)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,135 posts
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 11:41 PM

SATA drivers don't use master and slave settings Sata driver connects to single SATA host port on motherboard. Have you reset the BIOS settings to factory default. Is there a chance you can post a screenshot of the Boot configuration within BIOS setup utility. You can follow my instructions at my thread to create bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive you can also use RUFUS software to create bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive.

Create Bootable Windows 8, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 USB Flash Drive

Edited by FreeBooter, 07 July 2016 - 11:41 PM.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#3 usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,084 posts
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 08 July 2016 - 01:43 PM

Just FYI - if you have a Windows system with boot files on it, any new copy of Windows will use those boot files.
So, what was happening was the system was booting off the W8 drive, then switching to the W10 drive to launch the OS.

The easiest thing is to:

- delete the contents of the W8 drive in DISKPART using the "clean all" command.

- install W10 fresh on the SSD from bootable media.  You can download this from:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users