Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it safe to continue with this build?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KArthur92

KArthur92

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:28 AM

Hello,

I am in the process of building my first computer, but I am having some difficulties, particularly in screwing the motherboard to the case. My build is exactly like the one in this video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn_Lw8e7yFk I am trying to install a mini-itx gigabyte motherboard in a Corsair 200r ATX. This motherboard has 4 mounting holes. The issue is that one of the mounting holes in the motherboard seems to be attached to something protruding out of the case(a standoff?), which disallows me from removing the motherboard. Keep in mind, I haven't even put in any of the screws yet. Is this normal? Also, everything is not perfectly aligned. The back panel connectors seem to be nicely aligned with the I/O shield; however, the top mounting holes on the motherboard don't seem well aligned with the screw holes in the case. I've tried removing the motherboard, but it's not coming out, unless I need to put more force into it, but that doesn't seem very safe. So is it safe for me to proceed with this build? I will provide some pictures, so you can see what I am talking about:

Protruding_through_bottom_right_mounting

As you can see, something from the case is protruding through the bottom right mounting hole in the motherboard. Is this a normal occurrence when building mini-itxes on bigger cases? Is thing that is protruding is what is considered a case post?

Top_Mounting_Hole_not_perfectly_aligned.

This is the top left mounting hole in the motherboard. As you can see, it's not perfectly aligned with the screw hole in the case.

Motherboard_Overview.jpg

This is an overview of how the motherboard is orientated in the case.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

Edited by KArthur92, 07 July 2016 - 09:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 03:45 AM

Your photographs are too small to show much useful, but your case claims to support mini ITX motherboards so your board should fit.

Personally I can't see the point in paying a premium for a (tiny) mini ITX board & then fitting it to an ATX (large) size case - you would get much better bang for your buck - & more flexibility - using a micro ATX board.

Edited by rqt, 07 July 2016 - 03:46 AM.

#3 KArthur92

KArthur92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:46 AM

Your photographs are too small to show much useful, but your case claims to support mini ITX motherboards so your board should fit.

Personally I can't see the point in paying a premium for a (tiny) mini ITX board & then fitting it to an ATX (large) size case - you would get much better bang for your buck - & more flexibility - using a micro ATX board.

I modified the post with bigger pictures if that helps at all and Carey explains the reasoning for going with a mini-ITX in a ATX case in the video I posted. Why is it that I am trouble safely removing the motherboard as it is now(I don't want to put much force)? It seems that the metal part that is protruding from the case is preventing me from doing so. Is it safe to continue the build like this and is this a normal procedure when building disproportionately smaller mother boards in bigger cases?

Edited by KArthur92, 07 July 2016 - 09:47 AM.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 09 July 2016 - 10:22 AM

If you haven't put any of the securing screws into the board it should come out easily.  You just need to lift it upwards while at the same time moving it away from the direction of the IO shield and expansion slots.  No force required.

Protruding_through_bottom_right_mounting

As you can see, something from the case is protruding through the bottom right mounting hole in the motherboard. Is this a normal occurrence when building mini-itxes on bigger cases? Is thing that is protruding is what is considered a case post?

The thing protruding is present on a lot of newer cases (including Corsair's) and replaces one of the screws.  The idea is they help center the motherboard in the correct location without needing to add a screw.  I've found them helpful on ATX and MATX builds.  Probably less so on Mini ITX.  So yes it's normal for that particular case.

Top_Mounting_Hole_not_perfectly_aligned.

This is the top left mounting hole in the motherboard. As you can see, it's not perfectly aligned with the screw hole in the case.

That is normal.  You just have to gently push the motherboard back against the IO shield until it lines up, then screw it in place.  All the other holes should then line up.

Motherboard_Overview.jpg

This is an overview of how the motherboard is orientated in the case.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

Edited by jonuk76, 09 July 2016 - 10:23 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users