Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brand new R7 360: Thread stuck in device

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Iaiew

Iaiew

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 06 July 2016 - 08:50 PM

My old R7 260x died and i bought this card. So, i installed the card and with some minutes of stability test on AIDA64 i get the blue screen. The PC restarted and when booting, it crashed again. I had to remove the card to make the PC function normally, so i cleaned the AMD driver with DDU and plugged the card again. Didn't get any crash until i tried to install the latest driver, it gets half way done and crash. I tried to repeat this process 3 times and i always get the same problem.

Saw in some places that updating the BIOS will solve the problem, but i looked in the ASUS website, and i already have the latest BIOS. But some variations of my motherboard have most recent upgrades.

I'm currently using the PC with the onboard video.

Setup:

Windows 10 x64, formated today

FX 6300

XFX R7 360

M5A78L-M LX/BR

Corsair CX430

PS: Sorry for my english, if you don't understand something, just ask me.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 08 July 2016 - 01:21 PM

Perfmon shows a "Not OK" status for the video card.

As it's new, please take it back and exchange it for a new one - that's the easiest "fix" at this point.

Your UEFI/BIOS (version 1101) dates from 2013.  As you've already checked (and not found an update) - I'd suggest either:

- keep checking to see if they do come out with one.

- get a newer motherboard

- hold off on these choices until we've tried all the other possibilities.

Only 5 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most build 10586 (TH2/1511) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.
The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

D: drive only has about 3% free space.  Windows likes 15% free space in order to perform stuff "behind the scenes" without adversely affecting the system's performance.  Please free up 15% on ALL hard drives (you can get away with 10% on larger drives and won't notice a large performance penalty).  Low free space can cause BSOD's - but the actual amount depends on the files being used by the system.

Both of the memory dumps point to video.  I would strongly suggest trying another video card.

Analysis:

The following is for information purposes only. The following information contains the relevant information from the blue screen analysis:

**************************Wed Jul  6 20:48:07.312 2016 (UTC - 4:00)**************************
Loading Dump File [C:\Users\john\SysnativeBSODApps\070616-23046-01.dmp]
Windows 10 Kernel Version 10586 MP (6 procs) Free x64
Built by: 10586.103.amd64fre.th2_release.160126-1819
System Uptime:0 days 0:04:23.007
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmdag.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmdag.sys
Probably caused by :dxgkrnl.sys ( dxgkrnl!TraceDxgkDevice+dbc )
BugCheck 100000EA, {ffffe0000c089080, 0, 0, 0}
BugCheck Info: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER_M (100000ea)
Arguments:
Arg1: ffffe0000c089080, Pointer to a stuck thread object.  Do .thread then kb on it to find
    the hung location.
Arg2: 0000000000000000, Pointer to a DEFERRED_WATCHDOG object.
Arg3: 0000000000000000, Pointer to offending driver name.
Arg4: 0000000000000000, Number of times "intercepted" bugcheck 0xEA was hit (see notes).
BUGCHECK_STR:  0xEA
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  GRAPHICS_DRIVER_FAULT
PROCESS_NAME:  csrss.exe
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0xEA_IMAGE_dxgkrnl.sys
  BIOS Version                  1101   
  BIOS Release Date             04/19/2013
  Manufacturer                  System manufacturer
  Baseboard Manufacturer        ASUSTeK Computer INC.
  Product Name                  System Product Name
  Baseboard Product             M5A78L-M LX/BR
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``
**************************Wed Jul  6 20:43:13.055 2016 (UTC - 4:00)**************************
Loading Dump File [C:\Users\john\SysnativeBSODApps\070616-35468-01.dmp]
Windows 10 Kernel Version 10586 MP (6 procs) Free x64
Built by: 10586.103.amd64fre.th2_release.160126-1819
System Uptime:0 days 0:08:19.750
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmdag.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmdag.sys
Probably caused by :dxgkrnl.sys ( dxgkrnl!TraceDxgkDevice+dbc )
BugCheck 100000EA, {ffffe001051fe080, 0, 0, 0}
BugCheck Info: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER_M (100000ea)
Arguments:
Arg1: ffffe001051fe080, Pointer to a stuck thread object.  Do .thread then kb on it to find
    the hung location.
Arg2: 0000000000000000, Pointer to a DEFERRED_WATCHDOG object.
Arg3: 0000000000000000, Pointer to offending driver name.
Arg4: 0000000000000000, Number of times "intercepted" bugcheck 0xEA was hit (see notes).
BUGCHECK_STR:  0xEA
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  GRAPHICS_DRIVER_FAULT
PROCESS_NAME:  csrss.exe
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0xEA_IMAGE_dxgkrnl.sys
  BIOS Version                  1101   
  BIOS Release Date             04/19/2013
  Manufacturer                  System manufacturer
  Baseboard Manufacturer        ASUSTeK Computer INC.
  Product Name                  System Product Name
  Baseboard Product             M5A78L-M LX/BR
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``

3rd Party Drivers:

The following is for information purposes only. My recommendations were given above. The drivers that follow belong to software or devices that were not developed by Microsoft.  You can find links to the driver information and where to update the drivers in the section after the code box:

**************************Wed Jul  6 20:48:07.312 2016 (UTC - 4:00)**************************
ASACPI.sys                  Thu Nov  1 21:54:34 2012 (509327DA)
RTKVHD64.sys                Fri Sep 13 06:46:51 2013 (5232ED1B)
rt640x64.sys                Wed Oct  7 11:03:55 2015 (5615345B)
atikmpag.sys                Sun Nov 29 22:35:05 2015 (565BC3E9)
atikmdag.sys                Sun Nov 29 23:09:55 2015 (565BCC13)
AtihdWT6.sys                Wed Apr 20 21:30:52 2016 (57182D4C)

http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=ASACPI.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=RTKVHD64.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=rt640x64.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=atikmpag.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=atikmdag.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=AtihdWT6.sys

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Iaiew

Iaiew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:04 PM

I installed W10 again in a clean partition, updated all the drivers and fixed what you said, but the problem persists. The funny thing is that i ALWAYS get this BSOD when installing the AMD driver, specifically when the software is installing the display driver.

Do you think is worth roll back to W7 and see if the problem continues or even install Linux to make sure that the problem is not with the hardware ? I had a similar problem with my R7 260x, perhaps this means that the problem is on the MB ? Please note that without the graphic card, the PC works normally.

#4 Iaiew

Iaiew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 11:11 AM

Update: I found a tutorial where you replace the atikmdag.sys and atikmpag.sys on the system32/drivers with the same files found on the AMD folder. So, i did this and when installing the display driver, BSOD again. However, analysing the dump, i saw that atikmdag.sys was not the file who crashed, unlike all other times, where dxgkrnl.sys and atikmdag.sys were the problem. This time, the dump pointed to umbus.sys and dxgkrnl.sys.

Edit: Right now i'm using the PC with the card plugged without any problem, but i disabled the display driver in device manager. I tried to update the driver via device manager, choosing the extracted files from the .exe driver setup, but after one minute of instalation i got a BSOD.

Edited by Iaiew, 11 July 2016 - 01:25 PM.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 06:21 PM

You can roll back to W7, but I don't think that this would be a compatibility issue (so rolling back wouldn't serve any purpose.

You may want to try earlier versions of the drivers (but I'm not a video card expert, so I'm just guessing). You might get more expert advice from the experts in the Internal Hardware forums:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

Beyond that, I still suggest trying another video card.  If you can't find one, you may be able to purchase one from a shop that will let you return it (for your money back) if you don't need it.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users