Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop with Newly Installed Windows 8.1 with Flash Screen of Death

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 chessplayerjames

chessplayerjames

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 06 July 2016 - 06:57 PM

Good evening everybody,

Before I start, I'd just like to let everybody know that I posted this in the BSOD category, but I was referred here as they think it may be a hardware problem.  Also, I'd like to clarify that the computer used to work fine and it only  had a software problem that prevented it from booting; if you read on, you'll see the slew of new problems I've come across...

I have this laptop that actually belongs to somebody else.  One day, it wouldn't load correctly, and to make a long story short, I decided I'd try to install Windows 7 on it (it originally had Windows 8 or 8.1...not sure but I think 8).  After changing UEFI boot to CSM boot, the main monitor of the laptop refused to turn on, and I thought it was a hardware problem.  Months later, I tried connecting to an external monitor and it worked fine (unfortunately it was without operating system).  Consequently, I installed Windows 7, but it was impossible to show anything on the main monitor (even looking in Screen Resolution and detect monitor and all of that, it didn't even recognize that it was there...).  However, if I revert to UEFI boot, the main monitor works, but won't boot into Windows 7 due to the different hard drive structure.  I tried many times, supposedly making Windows 7 boot images able to boot in UEFI boot, but to no avail.

Then I decided to try with Windows 8.1 (not sure how to legally get Windows 8...).  I installed it and everything with UEFI boot, GPT and all of that, and it installed fine, loaded fine and everything.  However, while I was in the process of downloading graphics drivers, the whole screen went black, and now it flashes on and off, occasionally showing just the cursor, and it doesn't show anything else.  Ctrl+ALT+Delete doesn't work, Escape doesn't work, the Windows key doesn't work...nothing does anything, and as I said, it just keeps flashing on and off.  I reformatted it AGAIN and tried installing the driver first thing, but before it could finish, all of this started again, and I don't know if it finished or not.  I waited 20 minutes or so and restarted it, hoping the driver was installed...and it continues flashing...

Now I have no idea what to do...looks like Windows 7 is impossible for me to install...and 8.1 doesn't want to work either...and there's no way I can install any programs for dumps or any drivers or anything like that.

Please help me.

Computer info:

Spoiler

Thanks for any and all help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 788 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 10:09 AM

I think you may have a hardware problem, after all; but.....

I would create a Windows 10 install DVD using the Media Creation Tool and try that in the hopes that !0 might have newer hardware drivers and do a better job.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

It will activate using the embedded key and is UEFI bootable.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 chessplayerjames

chessplayerjames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:57 AM

Thank you very much for your reply!  I shall give it a try; I will post my results later.  Thank you :D

#4 chessplayerjames

chessplayerjames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 04:05 PM

Okay, so now I have Windows 10 installed...it worked and all, but it was apparent that it needed a graphics driver because the screen would kind of "flash" if I did certain movements with the mouse in menus that had special graphics...so I proceeded to download a graphics driver, and when it installed, I got the same problem again...the screen flashing on and off...so is this a hardware issue?  I need this computer to have good graphics (it can't be flashing the screen when the mouse is moved over certain menus...).  Please let me know what I can do.

Thanks for any and all help,

James

#5 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 788 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 05:27 PM

What is the make and model of the laptop?

And, have you checked the temperatures? http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

#6 chessplayerjames

chessplayerjames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:21 AM

It would seem that it's a driver issue...I've installed Windows 8, 8.1, and 10, and it seems that it will work on 8 and 10 (just not 8.1).  However, there are still flickering graphics when I hover the mouse in certain menus.  Unfortunately, if I try to install the latest drivers, then the screen goes black and the PC crashes; it restarts and goes into a continual restart loop.   Also, the graphics card is AMD and the processor is Intel Core i3.  Other system specs are below... 

System specs:

Spoiler

#7 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 788 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:55 AM

1) Did you check the temps using hwmonitor? The ATI card may be fried; but, it might not be....
2) That PC probably has a "hybrid" video where it uses the ATI when it thinks it needs more than the Intel is capable of. With hybrids, you have to be VERY careful about what drivers are used!
What is the rest of the model number? (i.e. C855-S5405) (Its printed on the bottom)

#8 chessplayerjames

chessplayerjames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:17 PM

C855-283...I'll try the hwmonitor right now...thank you very much for your quick response.

EDIT: Attached are the tests from hwmonitor.

Spoiler

In short, the most important are the HWMonitor1 and HWMonitor2 tests.

FINAL EDIT:  The error I get in Windows 8 with the new graphics drivers says "video_tdr_failure atikmpag.sys".

Attached Files

Edited by chessplayerjames, 13 July 2016 - 01:04 PM.

#9 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 788 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 03:41 PM

Dang; Toshiba doesn't want to acknowledge that model exists!

Here are its specs from Israel: http://www.toshiba.co.il/en/discontinued-products/satellite-c855-283/

What country did you buy it in?

BTW, lots of people are b*tching about the same problems!

#10 chessplayerjames

chessplayerjames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 04:17 PM

My friend (I suppose) bought it in Ecuador.

If it helps any, the display adapter in device manager says "AMD Radeon HD 7500/7600 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.20).

On the Toshiba page where I download the supposedly new drivers for the graphics card, it causes more problems than it solves...

So basically, the way it is right now, it works and all, but the problem is that there are certain menus that make it all flashy...for example, if I open the Windows side bar (I think it's called that in Windows 8...), and I click on Configuration/Settings, a bunch of flashy lines show up and disappear after a couple of seconds.  Or if I go to the network connections list, it does the same thing.

FINAL UPDATE: After installing a bunch of other drivers, including some Intel ones, I decided to try to install the AMD graphics driver again...unfortunately, same problem, and I had to boot into safe mode and reinstall the old driver, leaving me with the flashy glitchy effects.  If there's any solution, please let me know.

Thanks.

Edited by chessplayerjames, 13 July 2016 - 09:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users