Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

G-sense error rate problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 signofzeta

signofzeta

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 06 July 2016 - 04:29 PM

I created a similar thread 2 years ago, and at that time, the power on hours was 743, the g-sense error rate normalized value was at 39, and g-sense error rate raw value was at 61, or 3D in hexadecimal form.

I have been logging the G-sense error rate values, and after close to 1 year and 11 months, the power on hours is at 7826, the g-sense error rate normalized value is at 6, and the g-sense error rate raw value is at 94, or 5E in hexadecimal form.  This is all logged while the laptop is not moving, and I tried very hard to not create any sense of shock to my laptop.

I always log the values before I hibernate, shutdown, restart my laptop, turn on from hibernation, turn on from off, and after the laptop has restarted.  I also log the values when I notice a change in the G-sense error rate values, and I note down what I was doing at the time.

The hard drive is located at the right side, at the front.  Here are the things I have been doing when I notice the G-sense error rate raw value increase:

• Plugging or unplugging the headphones.  The headphone jack is located on the right side, close to the front.
  • Rapidly pressing right click on built in laptop touchpad.
  • Burn a CD
  • Dropping a book on the desk beside my laptop when my laptop is sitting on the same desk

These seem to make sense.  The vibration from the CD-drive and maybe the super sensitive nature of the G-sense error rate on my hard drive can cause a trigger when something like a headphone being plugged in, can cause a tiny vibration that triggers the G-sense error rate to increase.

Here are some that I don't understand why the G-sense error rate raw value would increase

• Hard Drive is doing something, such as while Windows maintenance is happening, or installing a program.
  • Turning on laptop from hibernation

These ones bothers me.  As I said before, I always log the g-sense error rate values before hibernation, and after hibernation.  Before hibernation, it was at 93, or 5D in hexadecimal form, and after hibernation, it was at 94, or 5E in hexadecimal form.  At that time, right after I turned it on, the HDD light was flashing, so I know the hard drive was doing something, but here's the part I don't get.  The G-sense error rate is sometimes triggered while the hard drive is doing its routine thing, like reading or writing, and sometimes it doesn't.  This g-sense error rate increases  by 1 every 2 to 3 months while my hard drive is doing its normal routine, and no external shock is induced.

Usually I wouldn't see an increase by 1 every 2 or 3 months as a problem, but these increases come from a hard drive doing what a hard drive is supposed to do.  I know this because on the recent increase, all I did was press the power button and typed in my password to log in.  That was it, as well as opening CrystalDiskInfo to look at the SMART attributes to my hard drive.  Right when I turned on the laptop from hibernation, the HDD light was blinking, and the previous time that the G-sense error rate raw value increased, Windows Maintenance was happening.  Here's the thing though. I hibernate and turn on my laptop every day, and Windows Maintenance happens every 2 or 3 days, but this increase happens every 2 to 3 months.  It's like the G-sense error rate raw value increases while I keep my laptop on, let it sit on my desk while no person ever touches the laptop.

Is this seriously a problem?  Everything else is fine except the slowly increasing G-sense error rate, and I have been checking the SMART attribute every time I start a game, every time I run a program, every time I do something to the point of paranoia.

I also want to know, can a normalized value ever be 0, or will it always stay at 1 as a minimum?  Is the G-sense error rate something that can be ignored?

Edited by signofzeta, 06 July 2016 - 04:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 787 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 11:13 AM

I recently had a dentist destroy three hard disk drives in less than 6 months and it turned out that her very old desk wasn't really sturdy anymore. We decided it happened when she was closing (I think slamming) the drawers. How sturdy is your table/desk?
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 signofzeta

signofzeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:25 AM

I recently had a dentist destroy three hard disk drives in less than 6 months and it turned out that her very old desk wasn't really sturdy anymore. We decided it happened when she was closing (I think slamming) the drawers. How sturdy is your table/desk?

The sturdyness of the desk has nothing to do with it considering how I've been monitoring who has been hitting the desk, in which case, is no one, and I have been treating my laptop with care, but the G-sense error rate still triggers.  The only vibration is from me typing, or the internal components doing what it's doing, and usually that doesn't increase the G-sense error rate.  If I had a feeling that there was some form of external shock to my laptop, I wouldn't have made this thread, but in this recent change in G-sense error rate, there was no external shock, considering I just pressed the power button and typed in password to log on.

I've been recording what I was doing for every time the G-sense error rate raw value goes up, and in the most recent case, I logged it before I hibernated my laptop, in which case, it was at 93, and then I logged it after I turned it on and logged on, in which case it was at 94.  So how can the G-sense error rate go up when I turn on my laptop, and trust me, I've turned on this thing many times and it never triggered the G-sense error rate, except for that one time I just mentioned.

Here are the things I did in between when I recorded the G-sense error rate at 93, and when I recorded it again when it became 94.  This is between when I close CrystalDiskInfo before hibernation and when I open CrystalDiskInfo after hibernation, and trust me, I have compared it with Speccy and Western Digital's DataLifeGuard, and the values are the same.

1. With CrystalDiskInfo and notepad already running, log the G-sense error rate values in notepad.

2.  Close CrystalDiskInfo and Notepad

3.  Close laptop lid gently to hibernate laptop.

4.  Open laptop lid, presumably while the hard drive is off

5.  Press power button

6.  Type password

7.  Run CrystalDiskInfo and Notepad

I have done this many times, and it has never triggered the G-sense error rate.  I want to know why the G-sense error rate would trigger this time around.  Is this an issue of the instrumentation being faulty?

Ok, let's take this imaginary scenario.  You place a laptop on a desk, and you keep the laptop on that desk.  The G-sense error rate increases every, 500 to 1000 power on hours.  Nobody is touching the laptop, and nobody is near that laptop.  What factors may cause the G-sense error rate to go up?

Edited by signofzeta, 08 July 2016 - 11:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users