Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot detect external HDD

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mstrmnd

mstrmnd

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 06 July 2016 - 03:58 PM

Hi,

I've read a couple of threads from the board but nothing seems to work for my situation, hope u guys can help me out.

I'm running  windows 7 ultimate on my PC
My external hard drive is a WD Passport Ultra

I was trying to copy some files from my friends laptop, it was working fine then. The second time I inserted the HDD (because i needed to retrieve some files) it cannot be detected. I was thinking maybe it was the laptop that was the problem. But when I inserted my drive to my PC still it cannot be detected.

It can't be detected in windows explorer but it seems that it can be detected in "device and printers" from the control panel and also can be detected in "disc manager".. I was thinking it was a virus or malware or i might be wrong.

-run ESET NOD32 on my PC no virus detected, can't run custom scan on external HDD since it cant be detected.
-run malwarebytes,, had 24 detected, fixed it, restarted my pc, tried running the HDD still cant detect,

-run panda USB vaccine . vaccined my PC but since it cant detect USB i was not able to vaccine the HDD

-i wanted to run a BIOS i read it from the forum, but not sure on running it. i don't want my files to be erased, as much as possible. :(

Thanks guys!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 06 July 2016 - 04:08 PM

Hi :welcome: to BleepingComputer

Can you post a screenshot of the disk manager showing the external drive please.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 mstrmnd

mstrmnd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2016 - 04:28 PM

how do i do that?? sorry my first time to post an image in a forum.. :) do i need to send it as a URL? ow, and by the way it is device manager.. my bad  :)

#4 mstrmnd

mstrmnd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2016 - 04:36 PM

finally found it! :) here.. thanks!

Attached Files

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 06 July 2016 - 04:39 PM

That is device manager. SleepyDude would like a screenshot of Disk Management. Right click Computer > Manage > Disk Management.

#6 mstrmnd

mstrmnd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2016 - 04:40 PM

And this is how it shows on the "device and printers" control panel page. 
I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the hardware of the device but still no fix :(

Attached Files

#7 mstrmnd

mstrmnd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2016 - 04:45 PM

ow i see.. thanks, here's the screenshot of disk manager

Attached Files

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 06 July 2016 - 04:49 PM

The system is detecting the HDD like if wasn't ever initialized!

Make sure you click Cancel on the prompt about MBR or GPT.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#9 mstrmnd

mstrmnd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2016 - 04:51 PM

Actually I clicked "OK" .. and it says "..request cannot be performed.. I/O error."

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2016 - 05:17 PM

This could be a bad cable, USB port on the drive or USB bridge card. Unfortunately, most of the passports have the micro USB port soldered to the USB bridge card which is integrated with the drive's PCB preventing you from removing the drive from the case and placing it in an enclosure. Do not format the disk. If the data on the drive is important you can use a professional data recovery service but it is expensive. Drivesavers is one of the better services.

I would first try a new cable.

This is a common WD issue.

https://community.wd.com/t/my-passport-ultra-1tb-not-initializing/11680/14

#11 mstrmnd

mstrmnd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2016 - 05:30 PM

This could be a bad cable, USB port on the drive or USB bridge card. Unfortunately, most of the passports have the micro USB port soldered to the USB bridge card which is integrated with the drive's PCB preventing you from removing the drive from the case and placing it in an enclosure. Do not format the disk. If the data on the drive is important you can use a professional data recovery service but it is expensive. Drivesavers is one of the better services.

I would first try a new cable.

This is a common WD issue.

https://community.wd.com/t/my-passport-ultra-1tb-not-initializing/11680/14

I'll try that one for sure, thanks John_C i'll get back after I try a couple of cables.

Edited by mstrmnd, 06 July 2016 - 05:31 PM.

#12 mstrmnd

mstrmnd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:00 AM

Still no luck,, tried a couple of cables.. I was thinking if the cable is the problem, the PC should not be able to detect it in device manager right?

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 07:31 AM

Sorry for missing your post. If changing cables another option is to boot to a live linux disk and see if the drive can be mounted. You can use Parted Magic which is available on the menu of UBCD. Burn the iso to disk and boot UBCD selecting Parted Magic at the menu screen. See this guide on mounting the drives. If you can mount the WD drive you may be able to copy over your files.

Sometimes an I/O error can be caused by a bad cable. Has the drive been dropped while running. It does not take a large drop.

Can you try the drive on a computer other than the ones you have so far?

If you could not mount the drive in linux then I think your next step is to consult a professional data recovery service depending on how important the data is. This service is not cheap. One of the better services is DriveSavers

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/198492/My+passport+fails+initializing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users