Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAM upgrade causes system lock up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rocky65

Rocky65

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 06 July 2016 - 03:28 PM

I recently upgraded my ram from 4 meg to 16 meg.  I run Advanced System Care for tuneups.  My ram usage after several days of being on can go up to 80% even though nothing is running except whatever startups are loaded.

Also when I right click in 'windows exploring" and attempt to create a "new folder", exploring just pauses...then closes.  None of this used to happen before the upgraded ram was installed.  I tried installing in different slots but no change.

I have used ASC for years without problems.

thanks

Rocky

Edited by Queen-Evie, 06 July 2016 - 04:01 PM.
deleted email address to protect against spambots.

Why are mice when they spin?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Liquid8or

Liquid8or

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 06 July 2016 - 04:16 PM

Iobit Advanced System Care tends to be a memory hog in general.  I did experience the same symptoms as you have at this time. I'd recommend that you remove it entirely. In my opinion, it has provided no real benefit to me except its disk defragmenter. As for your strange symptoms with your desktop after you have installed your new GB memory, If you are using the old DIMMs  at the same time as the new ones in your system,  Try removing the old memory, or reverse it and not use the new DIMMs

Install a real anti-malware suite listed in the recommended categories in this site.  If you are concerned about ads that pop up on your system, there is a add-on called ublock origin.  It will provide some protection from regular ads and some drive-by attacks.

Edited by Liquid8or, 06 July 2016 - 04:26 PM.

#3 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 06 July 2016 - 04:34 PM

In general system tune-up software is not beneficial and most, if not all, is snake oil.  You can do defrags without the use of 3rd party software.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,719 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:47 PM

Using ASC for years may have worked for you but Win10 is new.

Consider Win10 Automatic Maintenance that runs on a daily basis.

Are you sure you have the correct RAM sticks for your computer?

Maybe the older 4GB & newer 12GB aren’t compatible

--- If the older 4GB is still in there, remove it and ensure the new 12GB RAM is properly banked.

--- I know you tried different slots but banking is very important

--- You can add the older 4GB later on once the problems are corrected to see if they will still be ok in your system

At this point it appears to me that everything in startup that isn’t necessary should be disabled including ASC

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,719 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 12:17 PM

Any luck?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users