Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Small Office Networking - Wireless to Wired

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 zagazable

zagazable

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 06 July 2016 - 10:51 AM

Hello! I have a small office that I'm working on right now that I would appreciate recommendations on.

Set up:

A Cisco RV215W router connected to the modem, with a Ubiquiti Unifi access point in the far corner office to allow good wireless connection there. The Unifi is wired to the router, of course. There are 5 offices total, and at this time all printers and computers are connected to the network wirelessly.

The problem:

A new software system is being implemented right now that requires all office computers (total of 5) to have REALLY good and RELIABLE connection at all times. We're not getting this with wireless connections. 

I want to transition all computer and printer connections to wired connections. Should I purchase a switch to do this? Managed or unmanaged? Any recommendations? I am doing some research today, but thought I would reach out this way since this is an issue that needs resolved promptly. 

Thank you very much for any assistance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2016 - 11:09 AM

A 8 port unmanaged switch should work under normal conditions. The router will be doing all the work still, the switch just creates the physical connection. The hard part is running ethernet outlets to each PC. 

#3 zagazable

zagazable
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2016 - 01:40 PM

Thanks for the reply. Do you think we should upgrade routers? The RV215W is 10/100 mbps. We're seeing a lot of lag in the new system, maybe a gigabit router would help?

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2016 - 01:51 PM

Does the router create a VPN for the office? If so, if your having lag issues, I would start there. If not, can you describe the "lag"? Are you seeing actual latency in a test? Or do you mean internet sites won't come up right away?

Faster is usually better, but you may want to consider the downtime required and the money/effort to configure the new router for your network. If it's just PC's and inbound only, thats one thing, but when you start adding POS's, PBX's, databases and printers, things get more complex. If you do want to upgrade, I think the gigabit version of what you have is the Cisco RV130W. Please research before purchasing though since I don't know your network requirements and that particular model is not well reviewed. Your best best is to contact the software company and see if they have any suggested routers. Even if it's just the model they are most familiar with, I think it would help the transition over all.

Edited by Trikein, 06 July 2016 - 01:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users