Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 ADSL plus internet from my phone, chose a primary connection?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SPIDERMANFAFA

SPIDERMANFAFA

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 06 July 2016 - 08:26 AM

I want to stream to Twitch which require minimum 2 mbit/s upload speed which I do get from 3G on my phone, so I connect my phone to my PC through USB to share internet from phone to PC.

The problem is that this changes my fast (24/1 mbit/s 5 ms) ADSL connection to be used as a secondary connection and the phone is used as the primary connection, so this slows down my internet and my ping when playing games becomes bleepty since 3G has high latency compared to ADSL.

I have successfully used two internet connections where the ADSL connection was the primary connection when I used a 3G stick instead of my phone.

I don't know why the phone is "overwriting" my main (ADSL) internet connection, but it does. So how do I make the ADSL my primary internet connection?

This looks like exaclty what I need, so I tried it but it did NOT work...

Also the network and sharing center is slow as * when I have my phone connected to my PC.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 06 July 2016 - 08:45 AM

I don't think windows can do what you want it to do. What your explaining is some sophisticated load balancing on shared WAN. You are better off trying on your router. What model router do you have?

#3 SPIDERMANFAFA

SPIDERMANFAFA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2016 - 08:47 AM

I don't think windows can do what you want it to do. What your explaining is some sophisticated load balancing on shared WAN. You are better off trying on your router. What model router do you have?

This exact setup did work when I used a 3G stick instead of my phone so I don't see why this wouldn't work. My phone is now acting as a 3G stick and I don't understand how it's not working properly as it is working perfectly fine when I use an actual 3G stick instead of my phone.

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2016 - 08:58 AM

Different driver and a problem with automatic metric? Have you tried setting it manually?

And to be clear, are you trying to prioritize which connection is active, or determine which traffic goes to each connection? AKA do you need both connections being used at same time?

#5 SPIDERMANFAFA

SPIDERMANFAFA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2016 - 09:03 AM

Different driver and a problem with automatic metric? Have you tried setting it manually?

And to be clear, are you trying to prioritize which connection is active, or determine which traffic goes to each connection? AKA do you need both connections being used at same time?

I'm just trying to prioritize which connection is active. I have a program that is taking care of directing the upload traffic to the 3G connection.

#6 SPIDERMANFAFA

SPIDERMANFAFA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 08:58 AM

So could anyone help me with this?

#7 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:39 AM

As mentioned above, have you tried changing the metric?

#8 SPIDERMANFAFA

SPIDERMANFAFA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 10:33 AM

As mentioned above, have you tried changing the metric?

Working, thank you so bleep muich!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users