Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What happens when I use more vram then I have?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 xPRDGY

xPRDGY

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2016 - 08:14 AM

Hi, I was running Batman Arkham Knight at a stable fps with little to no stutter and such. I went to play around with the settings and I saw that I was using a lot more vram then what I had. What does this mean? Is it okay to continue? If so any long term damage?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 06 July 2016 - 10:22 AM

It should mean that your virtual memory is working.  The virtul memory is taken from hard drives and used to augment physical RAM installed.

Worth A Read

Louis

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,481 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 06 July 2016 - 10:22 AM

No long term damage, just game runs slower.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:53 AM

The virtual memory comes into play when the physical memory (RAM) use is high.  It basically compensates for a lack of RAM.

Please post the make and model of this computer.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,481 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:20 AM

vram = video card memory in this case IMO.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:34 AM

Wiki Says:  "Through the 1990s, many graphic subsystems used VRAM, with the number of megabits touted as a selling point. In the late 1990s, synchronous DRAM technologies gradually became affordable, dense, and fast enough to displace VRAM, even though it is only single-ported and more overhead is required. Nevertheless, many of the VRAM concepts of internal, on-chip buffering and organization have been used and improved in modern graphics adapters."

If the OP supplies the data requested by dc3...we can better understand just what the question intended to convey.

Louis

#7 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,481 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:21 AM

Wiki Says:  "Through the 1990s, many graphic subsystems used VRAM, with the number of megabits touted as a selling point. In the late 1990s, synchronous DRAM technologies gradually became affordable, dense, and fast enough to displace VRAM, even though it is only single-ported and more overhead is required. Nevertheless, many of the VRAM concepts of internal, on-chip buffering and organization have been used and improved in modern graphics adapters."

If the OP supplies the data requested by dc3...we can better understand just what the question intended to convey.

Louis

From first post, he was playing around Arkham Knight settings that also show vram usage like that:

BatmanAK-newPC-graphicsoption.jpg

Not dangerous as already stated. And if game runs OK, no problems. That game was even withdrawn from sale because it was too buggy so no wonder VRAM usage tends to be very high.

#8 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:42 PM

Louis

VRAM (Video RAM) is different from that VRAM hamluis. Most of the GPUs use a special type of RAMs like GDDR4, GDDR5, GDDR5X, or HBM1

@xPRDGY you shouldn't need to worry. If you have less VRAM, it starts swapping to the system RAM. If your game is running fine and has 60 FPS, then you don't need to worry. Otherwise dial down on resolution to reduce the size of textures, or lower the quality

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users