Sorry for the ridiculous title but this a difficult one.Usually on forums like this i can post reports or feed info live to someone who's helping but this time around i'm trying to help my lady fix her laptop while she lives in another country.
So i hope someone can just answer a few questions that may help point me in right direction.
Basically her Laptop has been running windows 8.1 (slowly) from when it was purchased from PC world around 2 years ago.
Its always been slow but on taking the free upgrade option to windows 10 (actually the laptop made that decision for her) its become almost unusable.
She did not have the use for a windows key on upgrade as i assume that's not required when taking the free upgrade from windows 8 to 10, she has no sticker on laptop with key and cant find paperwork she got with laptop (doh).
These are the issues
1. There is a constant 'active windows go to settings' notification on her screen. When she goes to settings there is something saying cannot active try again later and an error code,
Error code: 0xC004F210
But she didn't enter a product key. So this is confusing.
2. Since this upgrade. Updates will not stick, constant failed updates.
3. Randomly while computer running up pops 'we could not complete the updates, undoing changes and computer closes down'
4. Generally the computer is beyond slow at this point in every task and things constantly crash or go to white screen
QUESTIONS (as i can't run anything on it i just hope a few answer may help)
1. Is this activation issue likely to be the cause of the update issues too?
4. If i get her to rest windows will it rest to her original windows 8 or windows 10 and if 10 would this perhaps activate properly on second attempt?
Any hints or answer be appreciated.
Apologies again for the long winded explanations.