Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fixing a windows 10 upgrade mess from 300 Miles

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dicky84

dicky84

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 06 July 2016 - 07:26 AM

Sorry for the ridiculous title but this a difficult one.Usually on forums like this i can post reports or feed info live to someone who's helping  but this time around i'm trying to help my lady fix her laptop while she lives in another country. 

So i hope someone can just answer a few questions that may help point me in right direction.

Basically her Laptop has been running windows 8.1 (slowly) from when it was purchased from PC world around 2 years ago.

Its always been slow but on taking the free upgrade option to windows 10 (actually the laptop made that decision for her) its become almost unusable.

She did not have the use for a windows key on upgrade as i assume that's not required when taking the free upgrade from windows 8 to 10, she has no sticker on laptop with key and cant find paperwork she got with laptop (doh).

These are the issues

1. There is a constant 'active windows go to settings' notification on her screen. When she goes to settings there is something saying cannot active try again later and an error code, 

Error code: 0xC004F210
You might see this error if you entered a product key for a different edition of Windows than the edition installed on your device. You might also see this error if you previously upgraded toWindows 10, but the current edition of Windows installed on your device doesn't match the edition of your digital entitlement.

You can either enter a valid product key that matches the edition of Windows installed on your device or re-install the edition ofWindows 10 that matches your digital entitlement.

But she didn't enter a product key. So this is confusing.

2. Since this upgrade. Updates will not stick, constant failed updates. 

3. Randomly while computer running up pops 'we could not complete the updates, undoing changes and computer closes down'

4. Generally the computer is beyond slow at this point in every task and things constantly crash or go to white screen

QUESTIONS (as i can't run anything on it i just hope a few answer may  help)

1. Is this activation issue likely to be the cause of the update issues too?

2. Would running chkdsk or scannnow do anything (not necessarily to help the activation issue but to generally tidy up windows)?

3. Would it be better to just reset?

4. If i get her to rest windows will it rest to her original windows 8 or windows 10 and if 10 would this perhaps activate properly on second attempt?

Any hints or answer be appreciated. 

Apologies again for the long winded explanations.

Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 06 July 2016 - 10:40 AM

Your biggest problem is working across borders.  Whatever you do in your country may not be workable in her country.

1 - Activation and updates are separate - although some common components could be to blame.

2 - See below for suggested repair/recovery/restore steps.

3 - Reset may fix everything, but it depends on how you do it (and the condition of the reset partition)

4 - It depends on which reset you use.  If you reset through W10 (using the reset tiles), then you'll get W10.  If you reset using the laptop's original recovery software, then you'll likely get W8.  There's no telling about the activation until you try it.

Here's the suggested recovery options (in this order):

- System Restore to a point before this started happening.

- DISM/SFC repair (DISM doesn't work with W7, although SFC does)

Then please run the following DISM commands to see if there's any problems with the system (from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt).  Press Enter after each one:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

FYI - I have repaired systems using the last command even though problems weren't found with the first 2 - so I suggest running them all.

From this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

You can also run sfc.exe /scannow from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt to check for further corruption.

- RESET using the "Keep My Files" option (W8 calls this a REFRESH; W7 and earlier doesn't have this function)

- Repair install of the OS (Thanks to FreeBooter!):

"How To Perform a Repair Installation For Windows 8, 8.1 and 10"
    https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-8-and-8-1.html

"How to Do a Repair Install to Fix Windows 7"
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

"How To Perform a Repair Installation For Vista"
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html

"Non-destructive reinstall of Windows XP"
    https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-xp.html

- RESET using the "Remove Everything" option (W8 calls this a RESET; W7 and earlier doesn't have this function)

If using W7 or earlier, this can be accomplished by resetting the system by use of the recovery partition/recovery disks/recovery drive.
If you don't have them, you can usually order them from the OEM manufacturer of your system ( US points of contact here:  http://www.carrona.org/recdisc.html )

- Wipe and reinstall from the Recovery Partition (if so equipped)

- Wipe and reinstall from Recovery Media - to include deleting all partitions.
If you don't have them, you can usually order them from the OEM manufacturer of your system ( US points of contact here:  http://www.carrona.org/recdisc.html )

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 dicky84

dicky84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2016 - 11:17 AM

"If you reset through W10 (using the reset tiles), then you'll get W10.  If you reset using the laptop's original recovery software, then you'll likely get W8."

So if shes resetting (keep files) from the recover option in settings on windows 10 is that effectively (using reset tiles)?

And if that's windows 10 reset where usually is the laptop original recovery software ?

Edited by dicky84, 06 July 2016 - 11:19 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 05:01 AM

There's differences between the Keep My Files option and the Remove Everything option.

Basically, the Keep My Files copies over the files that are deemed necessary - the Remove Everything removes everything and puts down new files.

There's several places where the original recovery software is kept.

What's the make of the laptop?

Often you'll find it in the Start Menu, by pressing certain keys at boot, or even in the Startup Repair tiles

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,059 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:25 PM

If you act quickly there should be options within windows 10 to revert to the previous windows 8.1 configuration, these generally remain viable for 30 days after the date of upgrade. If these don't work your best hope might be to see if the computer's owner has access to any recovery media that can be used to revert the system to brand new condition. After reverting it is essential that the computer user sets windows update to "check for updates automatically but ask me whether to download and install", and then rejects any update which is not a security update, this will ensure the system does not get upgraded again. Before attempting to use recovery media or use windows 10's options to revert to the previous OS make sure to get the computer user to back up all their files on external removable media, as any files on the computer might be lost while trying to unupgrade or use recovery media.

At a guess I would say your problems are not due to activation issues but due to the laptop in question not being well suited to run windows 10, perhaps because it requires drivers that do not exist as versions windows 10 can run, or perhaps because windows 10 is trying to update it's drivers to more modern versions of the same drivers but ones which are not compatible with the hardware. I could be wrong about this though.

At a guess I would think there shouldn't be activation problems if you go back to the previous OS. The licence key for the windows 10 installation should still be valid for using to reinstall the older OS, but it'll work at any given time for one or the other, it won't let both operating systems be installed simultaneously.

For future use, once the system is working ok, get the user to make some system images, these will speed up recovery in future.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-system-image-in-windows-7-8/#manual

http://www.howtogeek.com/220723/how-to-uninstall-windows-10-and-downgrade-to-windows-7-or-8.1/

Edited by rp88, 07 July 2016 - 01:28 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 dicky84

dicky84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 05:00 PM

RP88

Sorry for the delayed response. 

My worry is she can't find the license key for her original OS (W8). Its not on sticker on laptop or on power pack and she doesnt remember getting a disc with Laptop. It was bought from PC World though so 100% legit.

I read somewhere about getting the licence from Cmd Prompt, which i tested on my com here and it worked but came up with error on hers. 

Basically there's no key on her windows 10 as unavailable due to activation issue and no sign of her old W8 key on com.

I think id like to roll back to 8. so i think the how to geek link above seems to have a lot of good advice. 

So if she goes into recovery on WIndows 10 and clicks reset keep files while it just try to reinstall 10 again and i assume it will have same activation issues?

USASMA:

There's several places where the original recovery software is kept.

What's the make of the laptop? Its a toshiba satelitte c50 b14d

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 06:11 AM

I recall 2 places on Toshiba's w/W8

- the first is by holding down the 0 (zero) key when you boot ( http://support.toshiba.com/sscontent?docId=98082971 )

- the other is from the Reset menu (there could be a Restore to Factory Settings entry).  This is not the RESET one.

You could also contact Toshiba for recovery media for the system - and that would restore it to W8 without problems (but these cost some money to do)

FYI - here's a link on how to retrieve the Product Key from the BIOS/UEFI (in your case, this should be the W8 product key):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/618886/slow-computer-hangs-and-says-unresponsive/page-3#entry4035650

#8 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,059 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 20 July 2016 - 02:45 PM

Potentially you could use a little program called belarc adviser to look up the key, some years back someone on this forum pointed me to it when I wanted to make sure I knew what my key was before I rolled a system back to an image for the first time (turned out I didn't actually need the key but better to be prepared) however you shouldn't need to. On hardware that comes with windows 8/8.1 the key is generally stored in the BIOS/UEFI, it should detect it automatically without you needing to enter it, or has this function somehow failed for you?
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 20 July 2016 - 04:11 PM

Make sure Windows Firewall service enabled type below command.

Press Windows key + X
Click Command Prompt (admin)
Enter the following command:

Sc config MpsSvc start= auto

Sc Start MpsSvc

cscript C:\Windows\System32\slmgr.vbs /ato

Above commands enables Windows Firewall service and try to activate Windows.

If above commands wont work you’ll need to use a valid product key to activate Windows. Your product key should be in the confirmation email you received after buying Windows, in the box Windows came in, included with the packaging your PC came in, or on the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) attached to the back or bottom of your PC.
If you’re activating Windows 10 (Version 1511 or higher), you can use a valid Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10 product key.

If you have a valid product key, use it to activate Windows:

Select the Start Menu button, then select Settings > Update & security > Activation.
    Select Change product key, and then enter the 25-character product key.

Windows 8.0, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 came preinstalled on my computer, you can find the product key?

Press Windows key + X keys
Click Command Prompt (admin)
Enter the following command:

wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey

Hit Enter key.

The product key will be revealed, copy the product key then enter it.

Click Start > Settings > Update & security > Activation > Change the product key then enter the new product key then click Next to Activate

If you are unable to activate Windows 10 after all the above and you are certain you have the correct edition installed, then please attempt phone activation:

Activate Your Windows 10 License via Microsoft Chat Support

Make  sure computer in not infected with malware infection.

Follow my instruction at below tutorial link to boost speed of Windows OS.

Tweaking & Optimizing Windows

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users