Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

3D Printer Can't Connect

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Diplomatti

Diplomatti

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 06 July 2016 - 06:43 AM

Hello, First of all, i have very very limited knowledge of programming/coding etc and i am unsure if this is the correct forum to ask this.

I am doing the part works www.3dprinter-collection.com.

I am up to a stage where i can print things out, however, i cannot get the printer to connect to my PC(Win10). It connects to my friends laptop(Win10) fine, but i can't rely on borrowing that all the time, and as the printer works while connected to the laptop, my conclusion is that my PC has a driver issue.

The printer uses the "Sangunio W/ ATmega1284p 16mhz"

Each time i plug it into my computer, windows says "USB Device not recognised" and under device manager it lists it under the name of "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)"

As far as i know, it is a driver problem because, as i said it works fine with a friends laptop.

so i was wondering and hoping that i could find some decent help in this forum, as Eaglemoss support "helpfully" suggested i uninstall the reinstall the printer software, which didn't work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Diplomatti

Diplomatti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:12 AM

Nobody have any ideas?

Well, i had a look at the drivers on the laptop, copy and pasted all the driver files onto my computer but i think there is more to installing drivers than c/p some files.

#3 Diplomatti

Diplomatti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 01:33 PM

Anybody got ideas?

#4 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 03:08 PM

I have no idea about 3D printers. I read up on it a little

http://reprap.org/wiki/Microcontroller_firmware_installation

https://www.safaribooksonline.com/library/view/3d-printing-with/9781782169888/apas02.html  <--- this link sounds like it would help you and says you can sign up for 10 days free, no idea if its legitimate or not

Did this thing come with a set of drivers? I would uninstall anything related to it on your PC then re install the drivers. Copy/paste doesn't work.

#5 Diplomatti

Diplomatti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 12:51 PM

i've tried uninstalling everything and plugging it back and it the same old "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" happens

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,016 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:05 PM

The good news is that you need no knowledge of coding or programming to install a printer, the bad news is that you do at least need to read the quick start guide !

First go to the manufacturer's web-site and download the latest drivers for your model of printer for Win 10 and save them to somewhere you can find them again. Then go into 'Control panel - Programs and features' and uninstall everything you can find relating to the printer and the printer drivers. There is no need to uninstall any of the software you use for generating designs.

Then go to the quick install guide. If you don't have a copy, download it from the manufacturer's site. Then check the installation sequence and follow it. I don't have any personal experience of 3D printers but there are two or three members in an electronics group I am a member of who do, but printers are notoriously fussy about the sequence in which they are connected and installed. As I have said elsewhere, it is one of few areas where I always read the manual first !

Chris Cosgrove

#7 Diplomatti

Diplomatti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:07 AM

I built the thing, week by week, part by part, i've read every word in every issue, and followed every intstruction. Still get "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)"

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,016 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:13 PM

It has just occurred to me. This post is #8 in this topic and you still haven't told us the make and model of this printer !

If you provide this information it is possible we can look at the manual ourselves and see if there is some little fact you have overlooked.

Chris Cosgrove

#9 Diplomatti

Diplomatti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 07:44 AM

Perhaps you could read better?

I am doing the part works www.3dprinter-collection.com.

#10 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:06 AM

When a problem comes along... you must Wiki. Wiki-t it good!"

Can't connect to the Melzi (FTDI driver problem)

There has been an issue where a FTDI driver update, pushed out through Microsoft update, disables Melzi controllers that have a non-genuine FTDI chip. This chip is used for USB communication, so the board may look like it's working (LED flashing) but doesn't show up correctly, and Arduino IDE/Pronterface can't connect to it.

This thread describes the problem in detail: http://hackaday.com/2014/10/24/ftdi-screws-up-backs-down/

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,016 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 06:42 PM

Diplomatti, you must try living up to your name and be more diplomatic. I asked for the make and model of this printer not the name of the magazine you are subscribing to, of which I was well aware. I am willing to google a known printer type to find its manual, I am not willing to buy a subscription to this magazine.

There is a considerable number of 3-D printers on the market ranging in price from £UK 100+ to £UK 100K+. which one is yours ?

Chris Cosgrove

#12 Diplomatti

Diplomatti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 08:38 AM

Its the "Vector 3" Designed by "Sebastian Conran" Specifically for the part works magazine.

#13 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,016 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 05:35 PM

Thank you for that. I have had a look at the manual for this printer and it seems that the USB port needs to be specified, p19 refers, and para 2 on p40. I assume you have a copy of the manual, but this is the URL in case you don't.

http://3dprinter-collection.com/downloads/STRING_UK_FULL_MANUAL.pdf

Chris Cosgrove

#14 Diplomatti

Diplomatti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 10:53 AM

Can't specify ports when my computer doesn't recognize the printer. This is what happens https://youtu.be/YMR2gjKX0SI. I don't get near the stage to use the software.

#15 Alfy12D

Alfy12D

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 11 August 2016 - 04:03 AM

Didn't the shopper where you bought the printer give you the video?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users