Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

https://www.trash-mail.com/en/

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 06 July 2016 - 06:17 AM

This little critter has found its way onto my browser...Firefox....

It occupies a very small space at the beginning of the tab bar....directly under the "back" arrow...

fwhxsm.jpg

It does not show as an add on in Firefox

When I disable all add ons and start in Firefox's safe mode......it stays there.

It is not showing if I type its name into the menu....

What am I missing ...???/

I do have a recollection of searching for a temporary email thing to use....but i definitely did not install anything.....

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 66Batmobile

66Batmobile

• Members
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 06 July 2016 - 07:19 PM

It occupies a very small space at the beginning of the tab bar....directly under the "back" arrow...

The globe looking thingy?

Whatever it was...I didn't do it!

#3 Lipper

Lipper

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 06 July 2016 - 09:33 PM

Could it simply be a link/bookmark to trash-mail.com? Can you right click and delete? Trash-mail seems to be legit so I don't think it's anything malicious.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 04:59 AM

@ Bat....yes.....when I click on that 'globe' it takes me to the web address in my topics title

@ Lipper....I just right clicked and closed it....it is a tab. Definitely not a book mark.  (i do not keep bookmarks at all)

...so seeing it is a tab....doesnt that suggest that it would be in amongst my home page url's...?....I looked...and it is not there. It is not amongst my add ons either

I have had a major crash as well this afternoon....cinnamon was crashing consistently...could not type more than three woirds on a page....would not restore to a previously backed up image, etc etc

Used this to rectify that ::    

export DISPLAY=:0.0 && cinnamon --replace

However....I digress...

I will open and close..... and keep on opening and closing firefox for a while to see if it returns

Can anyone tell me if Linux has items that are "given life" at startup...similar to windows....

If so....where and how do I access those items ??

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 Lipper

Lipper

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:09 AM

Should the link return, the simplest solution might be to create a new profile in Firefox and delete the old one. You could also try the refresh Firefox link on the same page:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-firefox-profiles

Regarding startup: Yes, there is. In Mint, it's at Menu > Preferences > Startup Applications. WARNING: Use caution what you disable.

#6 66Batmobile

66Batmobile

• Members
  • 344 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 12:04 PM

After doing a little experimenting, it appears you wound up with a "pinned tab" from the site in question.  The globe is the default favicon firefox uses if a site doesn't provide one (i.e. Bleeping Computer's favicon is the little blue computer screen next to the word "posting" in your screenshot). 

Maybe an accidental right-click and select happened when you checked out the site?  That's the best guess I came up with...

#7 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 12:21 PM

The globe is the default favicon firefox uses if a site doesn't provide one

Good catch. I notice I have exactly the same image on my "Getting Started" link in Firefox.

firefox_favicon_zpsbnlavlme.png

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:05 PM

That was a long night. The crashing took precedence....simply becasue linux wuld not stay open long enough to 'play' with firefox and trash-mail.

After some exhaustive testing it turned out to be hardware.....a pcie card which I bought to plug my ssd into and increase its speed etc etc etc...

I did a restore to one of the dates on which trashmail could not exist....and the restore failed....because it could not find the ssd

Basically....it died. permanently.

I took the ssd card out and hooked up the ssd in normal fashion....and the crashes have gone.

back on topic : I have opened and shut firefox numerous times and the 'tab' does not reappear.....and yes, Bat66, you are quite correct it was a 'pinned tab'....I will have to be a damn site more diligent in future......not sure what i clicked on to bring that about.

Lipper....i took a peek in startup applications and there is nothing there worthy of mention. I disabled one which is no longer on my pc.

The problem is gone.

ps...I have a new motherboard and cpu etc coming...mebbe today...mebbe early next week......my ssd will finally achieve what it is meant to achieve, and the "weirdness" that I have experienced with this motherboard will forever disappear !

T

GcnI1aH.jpg

#9 66Batmobile

66Batmobile

• Members
  • 344 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 10:10 PM

I will have to be a damn site more diligent in future

Ha-one time I was reading the description for an add-on, sneezed (I'm serious), and installed it without knowing...and for extra kicks, it was one of the ones that doesn't have a button automatically appear at the top of the browser, so I didn't know it was there for a few days :hysterical:

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,384 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 02:26 AM

The globe is the default favicon firefox uses if a site doesn't provide one

You will find the same icon is used in bookmarks.  Its normal nothing to worry about.

#11 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 03:46 AM

When it inserts itself with no known input on my part.....I regard its presence as intrusive.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,384 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 03:51 AM

Its the default icon its there when firefox is installed.

Firefox complaints

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/firefox

#13 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 04:52 AM

You fail to get my point.

As far as I can remember, I clicked nothing on the Trash-Mail site to bring about a default icon being added to the tab array.

Therefore, if in fact the icon has been utilised by trash mail in order to foist their program to an attention seeking position on my pc....then I consider that to be intrusive.

If trash mail had any means of contact I would have contacted them and voiced my displeasure. Sadly they have none that i could find.

As it turns out, no one else on BC has encountered this "program". Also , as it turns out, it appears to not be malicious. But that was not immediately apparent.

It almost satisfies the definition of a PUP....except that right clicking and closing that tab causes it to not return at all.

All's well that ends well.

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users