Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sony e series 14p and windows 8.1 installation

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 md92h

md92h

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 06 July 2016 - 05:22 AM

Hi everyone. i have a sony e series 14p laptop to repair. i have to install a fresh copy of windows 8.1 64-bit on the device but obviously i'm having a problem. the laptop originally had a windows 8 installed on it but someone (without creating recovery dvd's) decided there is no need for that and repartiotioned the hdd, deleting all data (no personal data thankfully) in the process. i know that it had gpt partition but he changed it to mbr. he couldn't install windows so now it's my job to do it. i tried with both windows dvd and a usb flash drive i made with rofus, but when in partition selection window i click on any of the 3 partitions it says windows can not install on this device because of mbr. so i changed it to gpt with only 1 partition and again this time an error says the hardware doesn't support booting from this hdd thus windows can not install on it. all this time booting was in legacy mode. so i changed it to uefi and made another flash drive with gpt partition scheme for uefi and tried it. this time however when i choose to boot from usb it says no operating system found! the flash drive i made was according to a guide i found on sony support forum and other forums as well. so what to do? the owner wants it done by friday so i don't have enough time. help is really appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 md92h

md92h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 06 July 2016 - 06:48 AM

SOLVED

OK found it and solved it. now installing windows. in bios i disabled SECURE BOOT and changed to LEGACY .

sorry that i made the topic before going through all the options in bios.

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 08 July 2016 - 05:28 AM

Windows 8 compatible with Secure Boot why don't you delete all partitions if they have no files store in them and install Windows on unallocated space this will convert MBR disk to GPT disk if that wont work open the Command Prompt by pressing Shift + F10 keys and type Diskpart command press Enter key. Type list disk command press Enter key to view list of all attached drives and they assigned disk number. Type Select disk 0 replace the zero (0) number with the HDD assigned disk number where you will convert to GPT disk. Next command will delete all partitions and data store on them so backup all files store on the HDD partitions. Type Clean  press Enter key to delete all partitions and data store in them. The disk must be empty to convert it to a GPT disk. Back up your data, and then delete all partitions or volumes before converting the disk. Type CONVERT GPT press Enter key. Close the Command Prompt and install Windows OS.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users