Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google account keeps getting compromised.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zone22

zone22

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 05 July 2016 - 11:24 PM

Greetings I hope to get a bit of advice. My Google account keeps getting compromise where I received an email from Google saying that someone has my password. This the second time in two weeks where an unknown device is tried to log into my account. Google stopped these login attempts with the correct password most likely due to geolocation. I'm in possession of all my devices. My Google account password 100 characters long and so is my LastPass master password. Both of which I changed within minutes of the the first email from Google. It seems someone through my background looking at previous places I've lived to try to login with them the correct geolocation area.

I'm perplexed on how someone could be in possession or guessed my password. I use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware premium which hasn't found anything relevant. My best guess is there's Malware on my computer.  Although my pc asymptomatic outside of the instances of  my Google account being compromised. Thoughts of how I should proceed besides two factor authentication as I'm concerned with the source of the leak?

Edited by zone22, 05 July 2016 - 11:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KingDavidlll

KingDavidlll

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 06 July 2016 - 03:15 AM

Check your email/username on this site: https://haveibeenpwned.com/

It gives you information about leaks that you may have been in that contain information about you.

Just be careful where you type in your password, if you use that same password for anything else.  Try ensure that your DNS is clean (not sure what operating system you have to give you instructions if you need) and that you check the address bar before you type in your password anywhere. 

Also make sure your phone doesn't have any unnecessary apps on it as if you use android it may be stealing it from there. 

And feel free to follow the steps at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/ if you believe you have malware. 

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 06 July 2016 - 04:50 AM

Greetings I hope to get a bit of advice. My Google account keeps getting compromise where I received an email from Google saying that someone has my password. This the second time in two weeks where an unknown device is tried to log into my account. Google stopped these login attempts with the correct password most likely due to geolocation. I'm in possession of all my devices. My Google account password 100 characters long and so is my LastPass master password. Both of which I changed within minutes of the the first email from Google. It seems someone through my background looking at previous places I've lived to try to login with them the correct geolocation area.

I'm perplexed on how someone could be in possession or guessed my password. I use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware premium which hasn't found anything relevant. My best guess is there's Malware on my computer.  Although my pc asymptomatic outside of the instances of  my Google account being compromised. Thoughts of how I should proceed besides two factor authentication as I'm concerned with the source of the leak?

It could be a phishing attempt by a Google spoofer.

#4 zone22

zone22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2016 - 09:20 AM

It could be a phishing attempt by a Google spoofer.

That would be unlikely as I checked the hyperlinks in the email address.

#5 zone22

zone22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2016 - 09:42 AM

Check your email/username on this site: https://haveibeenpwned.com/

It gives you information about leaks that you may have been in that contain information about you.

Just be careful where you type in your password, if you use that same password for anything else.  Try ensure that your DNS is clean (not sure what operating system you have to give you instructions if you need) and that you check the address bar before you type in your password anywhere. 

Also make sure your phone doesn't have any unnecessary apps on it as if you use android it may be stealing it from there. 

And feel free to follow the steps at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/ if you believe you have malware. 

I checked https://haveibeenpwned.com/ which did have some accounts compromised. Although because I don't use the same password for any important accounts such as Gmail it's irrelevant. Thanks for pointing out the resources.

I verified that I am indeed using Google's DNS.

My phone is only using my email app which is open source. Otherwise there's no other apps utilizing my Google account.

I suppose I should start a new post in the appropriate section for malware?

Edited by zone22, 06 July 2016 - 11:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users