Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop with Newly Installed Windows 8.1 with Flash Screen of Death

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chessplayerjames

chessplayerjames

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:41 PM

Good evening everybody,

I have this laptop that actually belongs to somebody else.  One day, it wouldn't load correctly, and to make a long story short, I decided I'd try to install Windows 7 on it (it originally had Windows 8 or 8.1...not sure but I think 8).  After changing UEFI boot to CSM boot, the main monitor of the laptop refused to turn on, and I thought it was a hardware problem.  Months later, I tried connecting to an external monitor and it worked fine (unfortunately it was without operating system).  Consequently, I installed Windows 7, but it was impossible to show anything on the main monitor (even looking in Screen Resolution and detect monitor and all of that, it didn't even recognize that it was there...).  However, if I revert to UEFI boot, the main monitor works, but won't boot into Windows 7 due to the different hard drive structure.  I tried many times, supposedly making Windows 7 boot images able to boot in UEFI boot, but to no avail.

Then I decided to try with Windows 8.1 (not sure how to legally get Windows 8...).  I installed it and everything with UEFI boot, GPT and all of that, and it installed fine, loaded fine and everything.  However, while I was in the process of downloading graphics drivers, the whole screen went black, and now it flashes on and off, occasionally showing just the cursor, and it doesn't show anything else.  Ctrl+ALT+Delete doesn't work, Escape doesn't work, the Windows key doesn't work...nothing does anything, and as I said, it just keeps flashing on and off.  I reformatted it AGAIN and tried installing the driver first thing, but before it could finish, all of this started again, and I don't know if it finished or not.  I waited 20 minutes or so and restarted it, hoping the driver was installed...and it continues flashing...

Now I have no idea what to do...looks like Windows 7 is impossible for me to install...and 8.1 doesn't want to work either...and there's no way I can install any programs for dumps or any drivers or anything like that.

Please help me.

Computer info:

Spoiler

Thanks for any and all help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 06 July 2016 - 08:47 AM

Sounds like hardware to me.  I don't have any suggestions, as there's really no way to test video on a laptop that you haven't tried.

I'd post over in the Internal Hardware forum to see if the experts there have any ideas:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 chessplayerjames

chessplayerjames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 06 July 2016 - 06:54 PM

I'll give it a try, thank you for responding :) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users