Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to connect a router to an integrated router/modem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AnonDCX

AnonDCX

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 05 July 2016 - 08:54 PM

I have a technicolor router/modem given to me by my ISP but I want to be able to use a OpenWRT router for advanced customization. Am I able to connect my standalone router inplace of the router which is integrated with the modem?

The modem/router I have is a technicolor TC7210

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 05 July 2016 - 10:07 PM

Who is your ISP? To use your own router without getting double NAT, the Technicolor gateway(modem/router) needs to be put in bridge mode. From the manual it seems to be controlled by the configuration file the ISP loads on the device:

"Your gateway can be configured to provide connectivity between your cable company and your home LAN in any one of three Networking Modes: CM, RG, and CH. This mode setting is under the control of your cable company, who can select the mode to match the level of home networking support for which you have subscribed" ... "With CM Mode, your cable company must provide one IP address...each PC you connect from their pool of available addresses.". 

IMO it would probably be easier to swap to a phone modem, AKA eMTA. 

#3 AnonDCX

AnonDCX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 05 July 2016 - 10:33 PM

Who is your ISP? To use your own router without getting double NAT, the Technicolor gateway(modem/router) needs to be put in bridge mode. From the manual it seems to be controlled by the configuration file the ISP loads on the device:

"Your gateway can be configured to provide connectivity between your cable company and your home LAN in any one of three Networking Modes: CM, RG, and CH. This mode setting is under the control of your cable company, who can select the mode to match the level of home networking support for which you have subscribed" ... "With CM Mode, your cable company must provide one IP address...each PC you connect from their pool of available addresses.". 

IMO it would probably be easier to swap to a phone modem, AKA eMTA. 

My ISP is Vodafone and am on a cable plan 100/10 - I just dont want to waste money on a single router if I cant use it with the router/modem my ISP keeps giving me

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 05 July 2016 - 10:56 PM

I googled around and looks like there was plans on offering the bridge mode in the firmware update but it wasn't included. I looked around but couldn't find a list of supported modems for their network. Looks like they are picky... probably to reduce the amount of firmware they have to test. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users