Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Jump Drive Crystal Location/Replacement

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 killnme

killnme

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 05 July 2016 - 06:24 PM

First off, this is my first POST, but I have found tons of valuable info searching the forums over the years and really appreciate every one who contributes to help solve issues with these freakin computers!

My Lexar S70 16GB jump drive has failed - red light constantly on, multiple computers don't recognize drive. Win7 gives a tone when drive is installed but Disk Management does not list it in the volumes displayed. It is listed in the lower pane as disk J  "no Media". 

I saw a post on here from March 2014 in my search and saw where someone stated the crystal could be broken and they gave a link to help people identify the crystal (http://infar.be/index.php?/archives/1002-My-experiences-with-USB-FLASH-drive-drive-repair.html#extended)

I opened my drive up but it does not look quite the same as the picture in the link. Can someone look at the pic of mine and let me know which component i should replace and maybe where I could purchase one. If all these drives have the same component specs it would probably be cheaper to go to Big Lots and buy a new drive and rob the part! Attached File  Lexar S70 16GB.jpg   66.68KB   1 downloads

Thanks in advance for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,649 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 06:46 PM

I don't see any crystal in that photo. All I see are surface mounted components.  Can you post an image of the other side?

Some crystals look like the one in this image.

101.jpg

http://www.bestelectronicarticles.com/computers/usb/how-to-repair-usb-flash-drive.html

x3fake.jpg?t=1282586496

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 July 2016 - 06:47 PM.

#3 killnme

killnme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 08:09 PM

Thanks for your help, I don't see anything on either side that resembles the oscillator in the diagram. Here's the pic from the other side of the drive. 

Attached Files

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,649 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 08:16 PM

Yes, I don't see an oscillator either. Maybe somebody else on the forum can post an answer. Is the data you are trying to recover irreplaceable? Is so you may want to consider a professional data recovery service though they are expensive but they should give a free quote. DriveSavers is one of the better ones.

http://www.drivesaversdatarecovery.com/

Edit: I did some googling and came across this thread though it is 3 years old. It seems ocillators are not being added to keep costs down.

The trouble you have is it's optional to use an oscillator or crystal in a pen drive and most manufactures need to keep costs down so op not to use either and stick with the silicon circuit instead. 
I suggest you purchase several older designed pen drives , if you can find old stock from 5 years or older you will have a better chance of finding what you want.
The only pen drive I could find here with an oscillator was a legend 512mb thats 6 years old.   
We also have all the current pen drive PCB's  and none have the option of a crystal or oscillator.
So to get what you are looking for you would need  to have a run made using old PCB's and for 10 that would be at least $100.00 each.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 July 2016 - 08:26 PM.

#5 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 955 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:10 AM

The normal identifier for a crystal is X (R is resistor, D is diode, C is capacitor)
In the lower right corner of your first pic is a part listed as X12. That is probably it.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#6 killnme

killnme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 03:33 PM

Thanks Davis McCarn but my original picture doesn't quite show the whole number you're referring to. it's actually J5R12 whatever that is. I've taken another pic of it. Attached File  J5R12 pic.jpg   48.96KB   0 downloads

Hit another dead end also  :angry: after going to Big Lots and buying another drive.... PCB layout is completely different that original and some of the components aren't even identified on the new one.

Attached File  Old vs New A.jpg   74.93KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Old vs new B.jpg   89.41KB   0 downloads

Just asking, but is it possible to remove memory IC from old one and install on new one? Is that how these data retrieval companies do it? My old eyes couldn't possibly desolder that IC but maybe someone could.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,649 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 03:55 PM

If you need data off the flash drive I would at least get a quote from DriveSavers. I did find out that some ICs include the oscillator.

#8 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 955 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 07:03 AM

For your flash drive, the recommended method is to remove the memory chip and access it directly which is a hardware procedure requiring special equipment.  I cannot vouch for these guys; but, they say its a flat $179 to do it: http://www.sertdatarecovery.com/usb-flash-drive-data-recovery

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users