Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 doesn't work boots super slow and then can't click anything

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jlpelham

jlpelham

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 05 July 2016 - 05:21 PM

My daughter upgraded her Windows 7 to 10 and it never worked.  I think it was a "bad upgrade," but I literally can't get it to do anything.  the screen eventually loads but I can't get anywhere.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I got it to a spot where it started in "safe mode" and I did see that one of the choices was to go back to a previous version, but at that time I thought she had a virus and was trying to get to safe mode to run some diagnostics and malware programs.  That never worked either.  Need some help, please!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 05 July 2016 - 05:43 PM

Are you saying the reversion to Windows 7 failed or you have yet to get to the option?

Here is a guide on the steps to revert back to Windows 7. You may need to use your keyboard and the tab key to select your items if clicking a mouse button does not work. Holding the Windows key + I will open Windows 10 settings. After you get to the setting window tapping the tab key should get you to Update and Security. Then press Enter. Tab to Recovery. Enter. Tab to Get Started. You may need to also use your arrow keys. 

http://www.howtogeek.com/220723/how-to-uninstall-windows-10-and-downgrade-to-windows-7-or-8.1/

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 05 July 2016 - 05:58 PM

SFC Command Guide
Run below command from Command Prompt that is open as administrator.

Sfc  /Scannow
You would use DISM command line tool to fix Windows component store corruption when a sfc /scannow command is unable to repair corrupted or modified windows system files because the component store (source) is corrupted.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Boot your computer into Safe Mode if the issue resolves within Safe Mode then one of the startup programs or services causing the issue perform a clean boot to find out which startup program causing the issue.

SFC should be able to repair the files afterwards. Execute below command to make sure corrupted system files repaired.

Sfc  /Scannow

Boot your computer into Safe Mode if the issue resolves within Safe Mode then one of the startup programs or services causing the issue perform a clean boot to find out which startup program causing the issue.

BC has malware remover experts you can ask for assistant read the article at the  Am I Infected? What do I do? How do I get help? Who is helping me? thread for more instructions on how post for assistant.

Tweaking & Optimizing Windows

Edited by FreeBooter, 05 July 2016 - 05:59 PM.

Posted Image

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 06:53 PM

@jlpelham, before trying to revert to Windows 7 please follow FreeBooter's excellent advice.

#5 jlpelham

jlpelham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2016 - 11:19 AM

when you turn on the computer, if literally takes about 10 minutes to boot up and then the mouse moves, but you can't open anything at all.  Nothing.

#6 jlpelham

jlpelham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 12:48 PM

I don't think I was really clear about the problem with my daughter's laptop so let's try again.  When you boot, it takes forever, and then it brings you to a blue colored screen with a windows logo and her name with the option to "sign in."  Then there is a power button on the bottom right corner.  However, even though there is a mouse pointer that moves around, you can click on nothing and bring up nothing.  It is totally frozen on that screen.  Ctrl alt del does nothing windows key + i does nothing.  I literally can't navigate anywhere or do anything whatsoever.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 03:19 PM

If you can recover personal data on the hard drive are you willing to do a factory reset?

The data can be recovered using a bootable disk and then reset back to Windows 7 or do a clean install of Windows 10

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 July 2016 - 08:49 PM.

#8 jlpelham

jlpelham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 10:58 AM

My poor daughter has been doing without her computer for weeks now.  I believe I have a Windows 7 disk.  If so, do I just install it?  Will that clear out the other things on the computer?  I don't think it will, but I know it will probably take hours to do.

#9 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2016 - 02:58 PM

The user guide for that particular computer should say how to reset to factory settings.  If you don't have it, go to the HP web site and download it.  When I boot my HP desktop, I get a message to press a key to do it, but mine's different from your daughter's.  If you just format and reinstall, you'll lose all the drivers that came with that computer, and you'll find things that either don't work or work poorly.

When you've gotten that system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $55 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus Todo Backup Free.  I've seen a lot of folks say they use Macurim Reflect which also has a free version.  That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users