Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchased laptop without HDD-what and where to get for HP 8540W

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ValentinoGuido

ValentinoGuido

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 05 July 2016 - 05:04 PM

I just  bought an HP Elitebook 8540W Laptop i7 2.67GHz Quad Core 8GB DDR3 and it has not hard drives.  Where can I get a Win7 or 8 preloaded SATA 500GB for it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 05 July 2016 - 05:41 PM

You can't. The only (legal) alternative you have is to purchase a new 500gig HD (or SSD) and purchase a retail version of Windows and install it.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 05 July 2016 - 05:42 PM

Welcome to BC....

This is a used computer...right? This computer is 5 to 6 years old...right?

I don't think you will find a pre-loaded hdd with Windows OS. The only sure way that would work is if it were from another computer

with the exact same hardware. But then it would be illegal to use.

If you don't need a program that only works on Windows.....then you can always install a FREE Linux OS such as Ubuntu. If that interests

you and you want to know more....there is a BC Linux Forum with several experienced Linux users monitoring it and would be eager to assist you.

EDIT: Actually, if you haven't seen this computer running it would be a good idea to test it using a Linux Live OS installed in a Flash drive or on a DVD

before spending any more for a hdd and a Windows OS. You don't need a hdd to do that. The Live OS would let you test the hardware and run online, too.

Edited by buddy215, 05 July 2016 - 05:47 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 05 July 2016 - 05:58 PM

Follow-up: the problem you will encounter if you should ever get a HDD with Windows installed on it, is that Windows is tied in to the motherboard for recognition. It will detect a different motherboard and shut you down (eventually).

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users