Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 cannot find ext HD with image bkup

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jim-Bo

Jim-Bo

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 05 July 2016 - 04:02 PM

Image created using windows back-Up cannot be found when trying to restore windows 10 Home. I have done this before with no problems.  Image is on ext and looks ok. I have tried two different HD`s. Refresh does not help either...Any ideas/advice will be much appreciated. ...Thanks...Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,015 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 06 July 2016 - 02:26 PM

Can you use a Windows 10 install disk to do it manually. When you get to the screen that shows Troubleshoot click it and then Advanced Options > System Image Recovery. When you pick the target OS it should give an option to select your image.

#3 Jim-Bo

Jim-Bo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2016 - 04:29 PM

Can you use a Windows 10 install disk to do it manually. When you get to the screen that shows Troubleshoot click it and then Advanced Options > System Image Recovery. When you pick the target OS it should give an option to select your image.

Thanks for your reply.....I do not have a Windows Install Disk. My windows 10 was downloaded via the Microsoft free upgrade. I do have a rescue disk tho. Probably no help here for an image restore. I had restored on at least two other occasions. Wonder if last Microsoft updates might have changed something. I am not dead set on using Windows update tool. Last I tried Aoemi and  Macrium the imaging took around 4 & 1/2 hours. Windows took way less....Thanks again...Jim

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,015 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2016 - 06:10 PM

I'm surprised Macrium and Aoemi took that long. Usually Macrium will offer to include USB 3 drivers which will increase the speed of the backup. How much data were you backing up where it took 4 1/2 hours. I backed up about 28GB in 20 minutes using Macrium on a Windows 8.1 computer.

You can create a Windows 10 install disk using the media creation tool but the rescue disk should give the same option. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

#5 Jim-Bo

Jim-Bo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2016 - 06:39 PM

I'm surprised Macrium and Aoemi took that long. Usually Macrium will offer to include USB 3 drivers which will increase the speed of the backup. How much data were you backing up where it took 4 1/2 hours. I backed up about 28GB in 20 minutes using Macrium on a Windows 8.1 computer.

You can create a Windows 10 install disk using the media creation tool but the rescue disk should give the same option. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

I might add,  I did use refresh this pc which I thought would have corrected any errors were found, no change. The backup was quite large (17.3 GB free of 149 GB drive) Something looks amuck,,since I have a lot of pictures saved of149GBabies. My PC has only 2.0 usb & is about 4 ys old.  Just cannot figure what broke windows 10 restore. I am going to look all the info your link provides and maybe remove pictures and try AOEMI again. My Backup devices are..1 T Seagate ext HD and other is an old pc HD enclosed in a adapter.   Thanks again, I will return with results later....Thanks...jim

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,015 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2016 - 07:35 PM

It may be a better option to copy over your personal data to the external drive and then do a clean install using the media creation tool.

#7 Jim-Bo

Jim-Bo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2016 - 08:15 PM

It may be a better option to copy over your personal data to the external drive and then do a clean install using the media creation tool.

Mind sharing instructions (Link) for "do a clean install using the media creation tool." will do as you suggest, remove personal data to another HD. I will google using media creation tool also.  I am self taught and very lacking in some areas....Thank you...Jim

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,015 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2016 - 08:30 PM

Post #4 has the link to the Microsoft page that will let you create a DVD or USB flash drive installer. 

This link provides for a clean install of Windows 8 but the steps are identical to Windows 10 including the section on deleting existing partitions.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/ss/windows-8-clean-install-part-1.htm

Just in case you can pull your Windows 10 key using produkey

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

You may need to install additional drivers but Windows 10 is has a big list of native drivers. You can go to your computer's support site and download any Windows 10 specific drivers

Edit: Because your computer has already been activated when you get to the Window asking for a product key you can simply click the I don't have a product key at the bottom of the window. Windows 10 will automatically activate when you are online.

Edit Edit: Besides your personal data don't overlook items like your browser bookmarks and any email if using a email client.

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 July 2016 - 08:43 PM.

#9 Jim-Bo

Jim-Bo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 06:11 PM

Post #4 has the link to the Microsoft page that will let you create a DVD or USB flash drive installer. 

This link provides for a clean install of Windows 8 but the steps are identical to Windows 10 including the section on deleting existing partitions.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/ss/windows-8-clean-install-part-1.htm

Just in case you can pull your Windows 10 key using produkey

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

You may need to install additional drivers but Windows 10 is has a big list of native drivers. You can go to your computer's support site and download any Windows 10 specific drivers

Edit: Because your computer has already been activated when you get to the Window asking for a product key you can simply click the I don't have a product key at the bottom of the window. Windows 10 will automatically activate when you are online.

Edit Edit: Besides your personal data don't overlook items like your browser bookmarks and any email if using a email client.

Mr: John C...I went as far as resetting pc , saving no settings at all. I think I read that this was the same as a clean install.  (Not at all sure that is true tho)I just must admit I am very Leary of my capabilities as far as going any farther. I saved all my personal data and went through the whole reset. When I installed the two updates that were available,, I think that might have been what is causing this.,,Still does not find backup Ext HD. Everything else on pc seems to work just fine, No errors. AOEMI maybe the out for me....I do very much appreciate your expert advice and kindness.....Thanks again...Jim

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,015 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 06:23 PM

No problem. I would use Aomei over the Windows 10 backup utility. You are correct,a Windows 10 reset is basically a clean install. A refresh will keep your personal data but you would need to reinstall your programs but not apps downloaded from the store.

#11 Jim-Bo

Jim-Bo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 06:36 PM

No problem. I would use Aomei over the Windows 10 backup utility. You are correct,a Windows 10 reset is basically a clean install. A refresh will keep your personal data but you would need to reinstall your programs but not apps downloaded from the store.

Thank you,,,I am a bit embarrassed after all the trouble you went to and I dropped the ball,,,so to speak....Have a great evening....Jim

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,015 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 06:47 PM

No trouble. That's what BC is here for, to help people with there computer problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users