Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet connection fluctuating?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jessibell22892

jessibell22892

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 05 July 2016 - 02:57 PM

I have a Dell All in One computer and I bought it new 10 months ago. I have had no prior issues with internet connection until recently and I am using wireless internet, not wired. The internet bars will go from 4 (full) to 1, then after a few seconds to a minute it will go back up to 4, multiple times a day, sometimes as frequently as every few minutes. I have not had any issues with my other desk top or the laptop or any of the smart phones. I have unplugged everything around the computer that could interfere with the wireless signal, I have updated all the drives, removed my AdBlocker program and restarted the computer numerous times. It is really hard to get anything done on it because it is so frustrating, please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 03:18 PM

Try inSSIDer to scan the networks around you and make sure your router is broadcasting on the channel with the least networks on it. For specifics, what model gateway or router do you have?

#3 jessibell22892

jessibell22892
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 03:27 PM

I will try the inSSIDer to check the networks, I need to find a free version. I am using an Arris DG1670A, its the basic modem that my internet provider gave me.

#4 jessibell22892

jessibell22892
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 03:39 PM

InSSIDer says that my link score would improve by moving to channel 6. Its currently give me a LINK SCORE between 78-83, I am sharing channel 1 with 3 other neighbors and my signal is -43. I am trying to figure out these numbers and how to move to channel 6. I'll get back to you, thank you.

#5 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 03:59 PM

I didn't post a direct link because I wasn't sure how this forum feels about EOL software, and looks like you found it, but FYI to anyone else; google inSSIDer 3 or try Netspot. Wifi Analyzer is also a good option if you have a android device to test with. 

Could you post a screenshot of the channel map you are getting those numbers from?  That would make it easier to make suggestions on what your wireless settings should optimally be. It also helps to know the specific wireless settings. To find them, go to 192.168.0.1 in a browser, and sign in with user: admin password: password and then the 2.4Ghz tab and Advanced. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users