Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intel i5 Running pretty hot under load (78C + )

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kotoroshinoto

kotoroshinoto

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 05 July 2016 - 02:53 PM

I reinstalled the OS and re-seated the heatsink for a friend's computer.

the keyboard and mouse input lag they were experiencing is gone after the OS reinstall. (which was probably result of PUPs and malware and what I like to call "data cancer" that windows accumulates over time, and I think this install of windows 7 was 5+ years old)

However, we remotely observed temperature peaks around 72C prior to my receiving the machine (through teamviewer), and after the CPU re-seating with fresh thermal paste (arctic silver), it peaks @ ~80C while running prime95, though it tends to rest on 78 or 79 more. The test conditions are not identical, however I have air conditioning and she does not (thus my room temp is a fair bit lower). I am concerned that on hot days this may become a problem for her. (after closing ARK, a particularly hardware intensive game, i see that core0 was jumping between 81 and 84 according to CPUID HWmonitor)

the CPU in question is: intel Core i5 650

I think to keep temp down she should probably obtain an after-market heatsink ANYWAY, but she isn't suffering from serious performance loss at the moment. Is this an expected stressed temperature range for this cpu?

I'm just curious why its running hotter after I applied the fresh stuff. Maybe it was actually peaking at 80C before but she shut the game off, or alt-tabbing lowered the stress a bit while we watched it.

Or perhaps the intel heatsink clips are looser than I am accustomed to with my AMD cpus and I need to use more paste?

I don't really know. All my heatsinks, even the stock ones, with AMD have always fit very snugly. This intel stock cooler seems to be pretty crappy, but perhaps i'm just doing something wrong.

Maybe it just runs hot?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 05 July 2016 - 05:10 PM

Stated max for that CPU is 72.6 Celsius.  The stated max for my FX8320 is 62 Celsius..  I use the stock cooler because I think it does the job for those who who don't game or otherwise stress the system with their habits.

Earlier this year, I noticed that the temp on my system during some rendering...would be 8-10 degrees higher than the stated max.  I continuded to run the system with no ill effects (I don't call the fan working harder an "ill effect" and I concluded that the stated max could be exceeded by about 10 degrees or so safely...just a personal observation/guess.

After a few months of this, I decided to remove the heatsink/fan and replace the thermal paste.  This reduced temps about 8-10 degrees, with system now idling in the lower-to-mid forties.

I would at least replace the thermal grease, after carefully cleaning the CPU and the heatsink/fan...and probably not worry about it.  I believe that both AMD and Intel build "margins of safety" into these projected/announced  max temp stats.  I would expect some signs of instability to appear...if those numbers were cast in stone and routinely exceeded by a user...but that wasn't the case with me.

Louis

#3 kotoroshinoto

kotoroshinoto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 06 July 2016 - 01:14 AM

had already replaced the grease. swapping out the heatsink resulted in max temps of 62-65. 

Apparently the stock sink was no longer adequate. Its not being overclocked, so maybe it warped from heat or age.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 06 July 2016 - 05:00 AM

:thumbup2: .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users