Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Who/what Are Server.vbs & Tcgmd.exe?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LaFemmeMichele

LaFemmeMichele

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 05:31 AM

:thumbsup: Thank you for your time.

Every time I start the computer my antivirus has stopped these two: server.vbs & tcgmd.exe.

Then it gives me the same options.. dunno how to end this! If you know either of them or how to get rid of them forever please lemme know.

I'm a neophyte. Sony Vaio notebook. WindowsXP Home. I'm leaning toward believing they are Sony spyware... :flowers:

Mod Edit: Moved to more appropriate forum. DT

Edited by D-Trojanator, 12 August 2006 - 07:02 AM.

O how I long for the days when a geek was merely a performer of the grotesque. -M

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 07:10 AM

Hey LaFemmeMichele.

Have you tried to run your antivirus in safe mode? You can boot into safe mode by tapping the F8 key as soon as you start your computer. You will be brought to a menu where you can choose to boot into safe mode. Make sure you choose the option without networking support. If you know the exact location of the files, you should be able to delete them manually in safe mode. By the way, what are the "options" that the antivirus gives you? Does it give you an option to delete the files or send them to quarantine, if so either of those options should remove the files. The server.vbs is related to Sony for sure. but don't know about the second file. According to the file database here at bleeping computer, "server.vbs is part of Sony's Vaio support agent - designed by Support.com. Not required if the user does not wish to use the Vaio support agent and regarded as spyware".

If you have no luck with the antivirus in safe mode, or you cannot delete the file manually, I suggest you try ewido antimalware.
Please download, install, and update Ewido anti-spyware
Load Ewido and then click the Update tab at the top.
Under Manual Update click Start update.

After the update finishes (the status bar at the bottom will display "Update successful")
Then click on the Scanner tab at the top.
Click the "Settings" tab and then change the recommended action to Quarantine.
Click Automatically generate report after every scan.
Click back to the "Scan" tab and then click on Complete System Scan.
This scan can take quite a while to run, so be prepared.
Ewido will list any infections found on the left hand side.

When the scan has finished, it will automatically set the recommended action.
Click the Apply all actions button.
Ewido will display "All actions have been applied" on the right hand side.
Click on "Save Report", then "Save Report As".
This will create a text file. Make sure you know where to find this file again (like on the Desktop).
Close Ewido and reboot!!

Let me know how it goes.
David

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 09:06 AM

tgcmd.exe is a process associated with an online support software from SupportSoft. It is often used for on-line support by large manufacturers like Sony and Toshiba.
It should not be disabled - required for essential support applications to work properly.

server.vbs is also installed by Sony and although some consider it spyware because it allows Sony access to your computer, it is part of Sony's Vaio support agent. If you wish to use Sony's support agent it is necessary - otherwise it isn't.

#4 LaFemmeMichele

LaFemmeMichele
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 07:40 PM

:thumbsup: I want to thank you for your help... I simply removed the program Sony Support Agent! Everything appears to be okay & no more annoying messages everytime I startup... :flowers:
Time will tell how wise this was. --M
O how I long for the days when a geek was merely a performer of the grotesque. -M

#5 LaFemmeMichele

LaFemmeMichele
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 10:10 PM

LQQK what I just accidently found on answersthatwork.com! -M :thumbsup:

This is the sort of software we classify as spyware. It is part of Tioga Software’s remote support and management tools (Tioga.com, Support.com, and SupportSoft.com are one and the same company) and is installed by the setup CD of the @Home ISP (@Home and MediaOne are now part of Comcast, with the ComcastSupport software being the main culprit for introducing T G C M D on a PC). The Tioga/SupportSoft.com software is also included in the Sony Support software that comes with some Sony Vaio’s and HP Pavillion’s, and it is also part of the BellSouth DSL HelpCenter. The original intention of T G C M D is to have your @Home service or systems software automatically updated when you are online, to provide a remote support technician with setup information about your PC, and, in some cases, to allow the remote support technician to connect to your PC and see what you are doing – in short, technical support is indeed the original intention; unfortunately, its features are also very useful to advertisers and so, depending on who supplied it, T G C M D will also collect information from your PC, which web pages you have visited, what you have downloaded, and permission based information about your system, its software, its settings, etc… As if that were not enough for us to recommend disabling it, it has additionally also been known to create a WININIT.INI file in the Windows folder, something which straight away prevents Windows ME users from using the extremely valuable System Restore feature of Windows ME. Finally, many users have also reported : being unable to clear the Internet history files when it is running, Eudora startup problems, SDCSchedulerWindow error messages on shutdown of Windows, and inability to delete video, audio, or graphics files.

Recommendation :
If you are a Comcast customer, uninstall “Comcast Support” through the Add/Remove icon in your Control Panel. Next, look up BJCFD in these Task List pages. If you have a Sony Vaio, de-install the “Vaio Support Agent” through the Add/Remove icon in your Control Panel. If you are a BellSouth DSL customer, uninstall the “BellSouth HelpCenter”. In all cases, if the un‑installation of Comcast Support or Vaio Support Agent or BellSouth HelpCenter does not remove T G C M D after a reboot, then immediately disable T G C M D on the Startups tab of The Ultimate Troubleshooter !

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,109 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 11:28 PM

Thanks for that information LaFemmeMichele and :thumbsup: aboard.

Orange Blossom :flowers:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#7 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 15 August 2006 - 05:53 AM

Glad you were able to fix the problem LaFemmeMichele.
David

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 07:00 AM

I don't know if it is fixed!
Unless a user was fairly competent and could do without support entirely, they may need the support option from the ISP or in this case, Sony.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users