Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Formating the hard disk

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 gurkle

gurkle

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:09 AM

How do I format the disk of my Lenovo laptop? It originally ran XP and was upgraded to Windows 7 then in a flash of stupidity I upgraded it to Windows 10. Win 10 did not run my email program (Even though it will run under Win 10) so I went back to Win 7 but now the email program won't run on Win 7 either with same fault, it starts loading then freezes.

This email program does not require installing it simply requires a copy and paste of the folder it lives in and the tree under that folder, yes I have tried that too.
Because the email is the near the only program I use on that laptop I would rather nuke the disk and replace it with XP or Win 7 again.
Thank you for any help in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheJokerz

TheJokerz

• Members
  • 287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:18 AM

You can format it when you go to install windows 7 again.

pa9d6f-4.png

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:20 AM

Do you have valid Win 7 installation disk and valid license for Win 7?

Louis

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:21 AM

What email client are you running?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,778 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 01:49 PM

Just a thought in addition to the others: many folks forget that it is essential to install the motherboard drivers for the operating system you are installing; IOW go to the manufacturer's website, and hopefully they will have the drivers for Windows 7 for your computer. This is especially essential for laptops, because everything from video to sound is affected by the system drivers. You might get away with the generic drivers provided by Windows, but you will never be able to get the full performance and tweaking options unless you have those driver installed. That might be affecting your email client.

Edited by ranchhand_, 05 July 2016 - 01:50 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 gurkle

gurkle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 07:50 PM

Do you have valid Win 7 installation disk and valid license for Win 7?

Louis

Yes Louis I have win 7 and XP disks, actually I would rather go back to XP if possible.

#7 gurkle

gurkle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 07:54 PM

What email client are you running?

I use a program called Forte Agent that is actually a newsgroups program but it has built in email as well. I like it because it has very powerful filtering and searching abilities plus I have used it since way back in the days of Windows 3.1 running under DOS. Yes it has been upgraded to run under that later flavors of Windows.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,571 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2016 - 04:52 AM

Re installing XP:

a.  If you have a genuine XP install disk (not recovery disks), then any install of XP is easily accomplished.  Since this is a laptop, it's unlikely that you have anything other than the Lenovo disks which would have enabled you to restore the system to factory defaults.  These disks may be of no value if the hard drive issued with the system has been replaced or been wiped by a more recent install of an O/S.

b.  Since I continue to use my XP install on one of my systems, I won't rail against such :).  But I will remind you of the significant risks that go with using an O/S that is unsupported and highly vulnerable to malware in 2016.  IE 8 is not acceptable at many websites because of the known security vulnerabilities which IE 8 does not address (no critical updates since more than 2 years ago), while the amount/types of malware continues to increase (seemingly exponentially).  AV support for XP has been pulled by some of the major players/developers.  Even with AV support, the lack of critical updates for the O/S itself...justifies nof even considering installing such in 2016.

c.  Windows Update/Microsoft Update appears to still provide the old critical updates available thru 2014 for XP...for users who have not previously installed such on new/current installs of XP.

d.  I just looked at my 2016 update history for XP.  There are 2 types:

a.  Those for MS.NET.  I believe that these originate from the Microsoft Update site and will not apply to users who either do not have NET installed or have not automaticlaly been shuttled to Microsoft Update because they have other Microsoft apps on the system.

b.  Those for the Malicious Software Removal Tool (Windows Update is the origin).

e.  If the media used for the XP install does not reflect SP3, you will have a large number of critical updates that will need to be installed.  Even if it reflects SP3, there are at least 200 (by my last count) of critical updates that would need to be installed to take any user to the Apr 2014 end of life for XP.  After that, there were maybe 5-10 critical updates released for XP which are not the Malicious Software Tool.

Bottom line:  I would not recommend anyone seriously consider installing XP as a primary O/S in 2016.  History does not support such an idea/decision.

Louis

#9 gurkle

gurkle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2016 - 05:19 AM

You can format it when you go to install windows 7 again.

Re installing XP:

a.  If you have a genuine XP install disk (not recovery disks), then any install of XP is easily accomplished.  Since this is a laptop, it's unlikely that you have anything other than the Lenovo disks which would have enabled you to restore the system to factory defaults.  These disks may be of no value if the hard drive issued with the system has been replaced or been wiped by a more recent install of an O/S.

b.  Since I continue to use my XP install on one of my systems, I won't rail against such :).  But I will remind you of the significant risks that go with using an O/S that is unsupported and highly vulnerable to malware in 2016.  IE 8 is not acceptable at many websites because of the known security vulnerabilities which IE 8 does not address (no critical updates since more than 2 years ago), while the amount/types of malware continues to increase (seemingly exponentially).  AV support for XP has been pulled by some of the major players/developers.  Even with AV support, the lack of critical updates for the O/S itself...justifies nof even considering installing such in 2016.

c.  Windows Update/Microsoft Update appears to still provide the old critical updates available thru 2014 for XP...for users who have not previously installed such on new/current installs of XP.

d.  I just looked at my 2016 update history for XP.  There are 2 types:

a.  Those for MS.NET.  I believe that these originate from the Microsoft Update site and will not apply to users who either do not have NET installed or have not automaticlaly been shuttled to Microsoft Update because they have other Microsoft apps on the system.

b.  Those for the Malicious Software Removal Tool (Windows Update is the origin).

e.  If the media used for the XP install does not reflect SP3, you will have a large number of critical updates that will need to be installed.  Even if it reflects SP3, there are at least 200 (by my last count) of critical updates that would need to be installed to take any user to the Apr 2014 end of life for XP.  After that, there were maybe 5-10 critical updates released for XP which are not the Malicious Software Tool.

Bottom line:  I would not recommend anyone seriously consider installing XP as a primary O/S in 2016.  History does not support such an idea/decision.

Louis

Smile, I expected  to get my ass chewed  for wanting XP but it's my all time favorite operating system and I love the way the file explorer works in XP. plus that laptop is only used for email and perhaps a bit of YouTube for my grandchildren, Firefox of course, never IE.

The XP dis k I have is a genuine original disk from one of my old dead desktops. However I also have genuine Win 7 so if you insist I will go for Win 7 again.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,571 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2016 - 07:34 AM

I seldom "insist" on anything here in the forums....beyond compliance/respect for BC Forum Rules :).

I just try to provide informative, honest responses to the queries or situations raised.

It's your system and/or home network (possibly).  You decide what you do with it :).

Louis

#11 gurkle

gurkle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:49 AM

Thanks Louis and I appreciate your input.

But back to the original question, how do I format the HD?

When I upgraded from XP to Win 7 I just put the CD in the drive and it did its magic, Win 7 appeared and everything worked. Now whne I put the Win 7 CD in and boot it boots from the HD.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,571 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:54 AM

Same points...I previously made, subparagraph a. of my previous post..

A genuine Win 7 DVD sold by Microsoft...acts in the same manner as a Genuine XP disk...it looks at the drive or drives, provides the option to delete or format partitions, then installs the O/S on the chosen drive/partition.

Anything other than a Genuine Win 7 DVD...it's anybody's guess as to what may be preventing it from installing the O/S.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users