Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to label USB drives?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 WouldBePolymath

WouldBePolymath

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 04 July 2016 - 10:20 PM

This isn't really a computer question, BUT -

Is there any way to effectively and neatly, but non-permanently, label USB drives?

Yeah, kind of a dumb question maybe, but humor me...?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Brianvoges

Brianvoges

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 05 July 2016 - 12:52 AM

How should I know which is the best label of USB drives.

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 05 July 2016 - 02:11 AM

I don't know this is what you are asking for but Autorun.inf file can be use to make Windows display icon of you liking and name for the USB drive.

Below is a example of the Autorun.inf file content you can create your own Autorun.inf file and store it in root of USB drive.

[Autorun]
Icon=Windows.ico
Label=MultiBoot

Posted Image

#4 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 04:22 AM

As Freebooter noted, your question is a bit vague.  You didn't specify an OS.

In my system (Windows XP) it's as easy as opening Windows explorer, right click on the drive and there should be an option to rename it.

If you want to change the drive letter open the disk management console, right click on the drive and there should be an option to change the drive letter.

Both of these changes are semi-permanent.  They will persist until you change them again.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,998 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 06:04 AM

I think the OP may be inquiring on labeling a USB similar to labeling a CD/DVD for identification purposes but I could be wrong.

https://tinkertry.com/label-your-usb-drives

Maybe some Removable Labels.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 July 2016 - 06:09 AM.

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 05 July 2016 - 07:04 AM

In my case

I change the name: for example Win10 RD

--- RD means Recovery Drive

--- Then I label a small envelope with the owners name & computer make/model along with the USB;s name: insert the USB and personally seal the envelope.

--- In addition I tell the owner to safe-keep it: if it's ever need for whatever reason and cannot be found, don't call me.

--- I never thought of looking into the white tags but I am going to now

The reason I do all of that is because I'm always checking out computers for family, friends and where I volunteer

What I mentioned might be overkill for you or anyone who has only a couple of USB;s to keep track of but know that you did not ask a stupid question.

Apply what suits you from the recommendations that have been posted.

Edited by cmptrgy, 05 July 2016 - 07:10 AM.

#7 WouldBePolymath

WouldBePolymath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:23 AM

OK, I completely screwed that up and didn't make myself at all clear.  My bad.

Here is what I REALLY meant:

A USB drive - the PHYSICAL drive - the tangible object that you can hold in your hand - What is a good way to WRITE ON IT what you have on it or what you use it for, so that it's labeled neatly and what you wrote won't wear off BUT you can later REMOVE what is written on it so you can relabel it, should you desire to do so?

#8 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 382 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 12:58 PM

I use self adhesive labels from a tape labelling machine (such as Dymo or Brother)

#9 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 05 July 2016 - 01:05 PM

What you are asking about is a USB external hard drive

What I've used where I volunteer is an index card with proper identification taped onto the unit

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,317 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 01:55 PM

I use self adhesive labels from a tape labelling machine (such as Dymo or Brother)

+1 for the Brother P Touch. I also use the P Touch for labeling each end of cords and cables for easy tracing. I also use it for CD's and DVD labeling. All sorts of other uses as well. So it's not a single use device.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 05 July 2016 - 02:30 PM

I use a sharpie on my white-bodied Lexar usb sticks; not the best idea, 'cause it takes GooGone to remove and change label.  Of course, I have to use labels such as: "ifw" for Image for Windows, "mtpdr" for MiniTool Power Data Recovery, etc.

Edited by RolandJS, 05 July 2016 - 02:30 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#12 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 05:52 PM

OK I misinterpreted what you meant for an external hard drive.

To add what else I do for labeling a USB flash drive is to attach a small rectangular Avery sticky label on each side of the flash drive.

They look like they are about 1/2 x 1" in size.

I write the description in pen before attaching it to the flash drive.

Once the label is attached to the flash drive I use scotch tape to keep the label in place so they don't peel off or slide out of position.

I have 5 of them in my hand right now and they are easily identified and ready for use.

I still put them in envelopes as I mentioned for people I help out so it's easy for them to store them at least in my experience

#13 WouldBePolymath

WouldBePolymath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2016 - 05:44 PM

OK, thanks for your input everybody. I went with self adhesive paper labels covered with Scotch tape.

#14 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:21 AM

Thanks for letting us know your solution

#15 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:24 AM

WouldBePolymath, your sense of orderliness for smooth operations is very good!  In addition to paper and tape labels, I also label them "software-wise," to make sure that my "c-partition" or "d-partition" copyNpaste or move indeed involves the correct usb stick [because I often have two or more sticks and ext HDs plugged].  In a related vein, if you use a usb stick very often, if you place in the same usb slot over and over, you can Share that usb stick across your home network.  I do that in order for my three computers around the house read/write said stick which is stuck in PC-1.  I think the logical labels can only be eight letters/numbers.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users