Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

learning more about computers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fozzer2016

fozzer2016

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 04 July 2016 - 06:28 PM

hi not sure where to post my question i recently built my own computer first one and i really enjoyed it and now i am really intersetd in learning more about them i have been using computers for years i have learnt a few things, I would lile to be able to repair my own computer and my family if we have a hardware/software problems. Where does one start to acquire this knowledge thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 04 July 2016 - 06:43 PM

Hello Fozzer and welcome to BC.

You have just taken the first major step-you have built your own computer. The best teacher is experience. Try to find someone who is buying a new computer and ask if you could have his old one (hopefully for free). If the person is having some problems with his old one, all the better; you can then figure out and fix the problem. Fixing old computers is almost as good as building your own, after analyzing what a problem is you will learn quickly. As far as getting advice, this forum is the best you can do. There are many experienced geeks here that hang out, and we love to help people wanting to learn more. Also, there are many videos on Youtube that can give you help in doing certain things. Generally, I have found that books are not much help; technology is advancing so quickly that books get outdated fast.

Hope this helps.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,226 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 07:18 PM

I second Ranchhand - welcome to BC !

Once you have built one computer - as you have - you realise (a) that it is not terribly difficult so long as you approach it logically and read the manual as you go along, and (B) you get exactly what you wanted (or can afford) without all the bloatware junk that pre-built computers come with.

There is only one drawback to Ranchhand's suggestion about second hand computers - if you have a Significant Other it is a good idea to get their agreement before filling the house with computer components. My wife doesn't object so long as I keep it either to the spare bedroom - my office and workshop, which she has more or less written off - or the cupboard under the stairs. Beyond that she starts getting a strop on !

Chris Cosgrove

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 04 July 2016 - 08:57 PM

it is a good idea to get their agreement before filling the house with computer components. My wife doesn't object so long as I keep it either to the spare bedroom - my office and workshop, which she has more or less written off -

Attached File  aalaughingsmiley.gif   8.88KB   0 downloads

Yes indeed....my wife does not enter my shop in the basement...it's anathema to her!

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 bharvey1107

bharvey1107

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2016 - 02:19 AM

Great response, i am also new to this forum and looking to get involved in the IT/Engineer side of things but am at the "where do i start" stage just looking for any help to get me on my way i feel i have a good foundation to build on 

i am currently 30 and not wanting any more time to go past, working in the security/fire industry for 8 years and do some small minor maintenance on the company control room pc's although don't have an certifications 

any help/ info would be great.

I second Ranchhand - welcome to BC !

Once you have built one computer - as you have - you realise (a) that it is not terribly difficult so long as you approach it logically and read the manual as you go along, and ( B) you get exactly what you wanted (or can afford) without all the bloatware junk that pre-built computers come with.

There is only one drawback to Ranchhand's suggestion about second hand computers - if you have a Significant Other it is a good idea to get their agreement before filling the house with computer components. My wife doesn't object so long as I keep it either to the spare bedroom - my office and workshop, which she has more or less written off - or the cupboard under the stairs. Beyond that she starts getting a strop on !

Chris Cosgrove

Hello Fozzer and welcome to BC.

You have just taken the first major step-you have built your own computer. The best teacher is experience. Try to find someone who is buying a new computer and ask if you could have his old one (hopefully for free). If the person is having some problems with his old one, all the better; you can then figure out and fix the problem. Fixing old computers is almost as good as building your own, after analyzing what a problem is you will learn quickly. As far as getting advice, this forum is the best you can do. There are many experienced geeks here that hang out, and we love to help people wanting to learn more. Also, there are many videos on Youtube that can give you help in doing certain things. Generally, I have found that books are not much help; technology is advancing so quickly that books get outdated fast.

Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users