Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Facebook problem (please redirect if this is not the right place)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 04 July 2016 - 05:21 PM

I have a minimal and minimally active Facebook account.  Over the past couple of weeks I have been getting two or three notifications per day, telling me that Soandso (a person of whom I have never heard) has accepted my "friend" request.  I have NEVER issued a "friend" request on Facebook.  I have maybe a couple of dozen "friends" - all people I have known in person for years - based on their requests, never the other way round.  I have no particular reason to consider any of the recent "new friends" to be dangerous or sinister persons, but they are from circles to which I have no particular connection - I am not a fitness trainer, nor a member of the Navajo tribe, nor a resident of Tamil Nadu, nor a Chinese business person, etc. etc. etc.

I DO speak several languages and have a fairly wide range of international contacts.  I AM an academic scientist (biologist), naturalist, hunter, falconer with some ties to the Arab world, SCUBA diving instructor, sailor, dog breeder (and geneticist), photographer, and have some contact with the world of Arabian horses.  My most recent occupation is as General Manager of a small water district in California.  None of my "new friends" seem to fit that pattern.

I repeat, I sometimes receive "friend" requests from people with some connection to what I am and/or what I do, and I sometimes accept those, but I have never issued a "friend" request on Facebook.  I have had the account there for quite some time - nearly two years I think - but this is the first time this kind of thing has shown up.

I have spent some time browsing the Facebook "help" options without finding any obvious way to ask the Facebook staff how to deal with this situation.  I am asking here just in case there is someone who knows an easy answer - including how to navigate the Facebook reporting system.

Thanks to anyone who can enlighten me,

John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 04 July 2016 - 05:52 PM

I don't use Facebook. I use Twitter. But one of the things they both do is recommend accounts you can follow or in the case of Facebook, unsolicited friend requests. When I get these from Twitter, I just ignore them. You can ignore the Facebook friend requests or as this thread will show, you can turn them off in the privacy tab. Everyone on Facebook gets these unsolicited friend requests. As I said, I get them on Twitter and they don't annoy me enough to do anything about them. I just ignore them.

https://www.facebook.com/help/community/question/?id=517940428267500

#3 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 06 July 2016 - 11:29 PM

I don't pay attention to friend requests from people I don't already know (I have hundreds of real friends all over the world) unless (as happens from time to time) they concern things that interest me (I am a moderately public figure in several different fields).  This problem is however the opposite: people confirming friend requests I have not issued.  I am not very active on Facebook (don't have time, i am a VERY busy professional with many other interests outside my present professional sphere of activity, and I pursue those interests actively in arenas other than Facebook).  I have lived at one time or another on 5 continents (North America, Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia) and have been actively engaged with various communities/interest groups in all those places.  Biology, ecology, evolution, genetics, natural history, photography, reptiles, insects, hunting, falconry, horses, music, dance, diving and diving medicine, oceanography, archaeology, languages, art, gastronomy, oenology, that's only scratching the surface.  I have the misfortune to be interested in everything, and of course that brings one into contact with all sorts of people.  I'm as much at  home with illiterate (but highly intelligent and knowledgeable) desert nomads as with academic elites in wherever.  OK, I HATE to toot my horn but what I'm really saying is that Facebook and similar "social" media are fairly low on my priority scale.  Until they invent the 96 hour day that will have to remain so - there just isn't enough time.  And of course now at age 84 1/2 I am more aware of time limitations than in my heedless youth <G>.

OK, again, I ignore unsolicited friend requests, that's no problem (learned to do that long before Facebook was invented <G>).  The problem is that people I never heard of are confirming friend requests I never issued.  I am not bashful but I do consider that a form of invasion of privacy.  OK, if someone I don't know wants to send me a friend request, and explains it in a reasonable way, I'm listening.  But having completely unknown people confirming "my" friend requests I never issued, that bothers me.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 04:48 AM

They aren't sending friend requests. Facebook is doing it without their knowledge. Yes, it's an invasion of privacy. But when you sign up for Facebook, you agree to their terms of service. And this includes this kind of nonsense for which Facebook gets well deserved criticism in the media. But you can get rid of them as I posted previously. But if you're looking for a logical explanation for this, forget it. Facebook does this because they can. And they will continue to do it and they don't care if it bothers you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users