Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC wont turn on, fans spin for 1 sec

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Reystar

Reystar

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 04 July 2016 - 05:12 PM

Hello there!

previous week i upgraded to

i7 6700k
GB Z170X Gaming 7
16 GB Corsair LPX Ram
MSI GTX 1070 Gaming 8X

and i also used my older stuff:
Corsair AX1200i
Sandisk Extreme Pro SSD
WD 1TB Hard drive

So here is the situation...

First days, everything was working fine, then suddenly my computer wouldn't boot. Fans and Leds would turn on for 1 sec and then it wouldn't boot.

I did memtest, 100% pass 0 errors, i updated the Firmwire, i did Bios Reset, i removed the battery from the Bios etc etc, nothing helped

Steps i done for a temp solution:

1) Swapped, removed etc RAM, didn't boot (fans would spin for 1 sec)
2) Removed ALL cables 1 by 1 leaving only the CPU and Motherboard cable on, it wouldn't boot (fans would spin for 1 sec)
3) Tried to manually boot the PSU when having the CPU cable on the mobo and also when disconnected, manually via a wire didnt boot again fans would spin for 1 sec)
4) Connected an EVGA PSU to CPU and Motherboard, and boom, it booted.
5) Took out the PSU and manually started it via a wire and PSU worked.
6) Connected the Corsair again to Motherboard and CPU and it booted....WTF?!?!

This happened 7 times now almost every day, today it happened twice! Almost actually when i shut down the computer, it doesn't happen all the time

I also noticed that once this happens (fans spin for 1 sec and led turns on but system wont start) the Power On button's LED of the case its turned on all the time (it should turn on since the system doesnt turn on)

I tried replacing my RAM and it didnt help, could it be the AX1200i a faulty PSU? I didnt have any problems like before upgrading

Can somebody please for the love of God help me with that?

Edited by Reystar, 04 July 2016 - 05:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 04 July 2016 - 06:54 PM

Just off the top of my head, test your Power On switch and also the Reset switch (if you have one) one at a time, not both together.

> Power down, unplug the power cord and press the Power On button for a moment (to discharge the capacitors).

> Detach the Power On switch cable where it plugs into the mainboard. This will leave the two small contacts on the mainboard exposed.

> Plug in the computer power cord

> Take a flat-bladed screwdriver and short the two, small contacts. The computer should power up and stay powered up. If you can do this several times and it doesn't shut down, you Power On switch is bad.

> If the computer still shuts down, repeat the above procedure for the reset button.

Post back with the results.  Good hunting!

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 04 July 2016 - 06:58 PM

Just off the top of my head, test your Power On switch and also the Reset switch (if you have one) one at a time, not both together.

> Power down, unplug the power cord and press the Power On button for a moment (to discharge the capacitors).

> Detach the Power On switch cable where it plugs into the mainboard. This will leave the two small contacts on the mainboard exposed.

> Plug in the computer power cord

> Take a flat-bladed screwdriver and short the two, small contacts. The computer should power up and stay powered up. If you can do this several times and it doesn't shut down, you Power On switch is bad.

> If the computer still shuts down, repeat the above procedure for the reset button.

Post back with the results.  Good hunting!

If this does not work, then maybe your CPU or mobo have gone bad, try and replace the CPU, also check the CPU is plugged correctly, if not maybe you're mobo?

Don't even think about it if your not sure

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 09:05 PM

Fans and Leds would turn on for 1 sec and then it wouldn't boot.

It's definitely not the CPU, and probably not the motherboard. When a CPU blows out, all the electrical will power up, fans, power lamp on the mother board, and lights on the front panel will all run indefinitely, etc. BUT there will be no POST screen, no video, monitor will be dark and unresponsive. If the mainboard fails, it could be any of several different problems and can only be accurately diagnosed by process of elimination of the basic other components of the computer.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 Reystar

Reystar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 12:55 AM

Hello,

it stuck again today, while i did 2 normal boots, on the 3rd, it stuck, i tried to use the screw driver and again, fans spin for 1 sec and then stop. In order to boot then i have to remove the power supply for like 5 min and put it back in, then it boots :(

Could it the the PSU?

Im 100% its not the CPU, i did stress tests, AIDA64 and x264 codec test, it wouldn't pass them

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 05 July 2016 - 04:48 AM

Since it is modular PSU you should pull it out and inspect all of the cables and connectors for any damage. Also, be sure to go through the manual and use the proper cables with the proper ports. Some will look identical, but others may differ by color (gray versus black). The color coding is so that you don't use a cable that is not thick enough wire to handle the main 12volt rail with high amperage. They may even say right on them not to be used with such and such port #. Those ports are typically reserved for high powered video cards that draw a lot of current amperage. You don't want to get those wires and ports for the video card mixed with the motherboards 4/6/8 pin power connector. Take it slow connecting everything up. If you're still having issues then try another PSU. If you still got problems then it's probably safe to say that the new PSU is DOA.

#7 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 05 July 2016 - 06:57 AM

"4) Connected an EVGA PSU to CPU and Motherboard, and boom, it booted."

I'd put the EVGA PSU back in the PC and leave it for a few days.  If it works OK, you've got a faulty (albeit flakey) PSU.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#8 Reystar

Reystar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 07:51 AM

I got my motherboard replaced, so far it works good did 3-4 reboots no problem..lets see

could it be a PSU compatibility issue? The guy tested the PSU with a PSU tester and it was fine

#9 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 07:58 AM

If I understand your initial post, you upgraded & replaced the CPU. If you did upgrade the CPU there is a chance that too much thermal grease was applied when installing the new one and it is shorting out the wafer contacts if it overflowed. This is a long shot, but worth a question. Other than that, I agree that it would seem that your power supply is flakey. Unfortunately, it seems that you do not have a PS tester, but if the unit works fine with the alternate PS and starts giving problems with your present one it would indicate that is the problem.

#10 Reystar

Reystar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 08:00 AM

I upgrade my Motherboard, my CPU, my RAM and my GPU yes...the corsair has been tested with a PSU tester and the voltages were good (at the pc store). I really don't know, could it be a compatiblity issue with the powersupply and the motherboard?

#11 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 846 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 08:47 AM

Every PSU uses feedback circuitry to sense the voltages it is supplying excepting the 5V standby voltage which is generally on 24/7/365.  When the 5V standby gets gescrewdefay, the normal reaction is the device won't turn on, at all.  The feedback sensing circuitry and anything short of a very expensive PSU tester ($500+?) won't; however, be able to sense a high frequency noise condition so if, for example, the 3.3 volts is actually producing ac from 2.1 volts to 4.5 volts at 100Khz, both the tester and the PSU itself would read the average of 3.3 volts and say things were OK; but, that could easily cause the ram or other parts of the system board to completely freak out.

#12 Reystar

Reystar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 08:49 AM

Every PSU uses feedback circuitry to sense the voltages it is supplying excepting the 5V standby voltage which is generally on 24/7/365.  When the 5V standby gets gescrewdefay, the normal reaction is the device won't turn on, at all.  The feedback sensing circuitry and anything short of a very expensive PSU tester ($500+?) won't; however, be able to sense a high frequency noise condition so if, for example, the 3.3 volts is actually producing ac from 2.1 volts to 4.5 volts at 100Khz, both the tester and the PSU itself would read the average of 3.3 volts and say things were OK; but, that could easily cause the ram or other parts of the system board to completely freak out.

So you think its the Power Supply? It can't be the Motherboard or maybe the CPU, but then if it was the CPU, how would it be able to pass AIDA64 and x264 stress tests for 3-4 hours, wouldn't it fail there?

Edited by Reystar, 05 July 2016 - 08:50 AM.

#13 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 846 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 08:56 AM

I suggested the PSU because you said it worked with the EVGA PSU and if that fixed it, its just like testing a bad light bulb.
You said, too, that it is now working OK so I'd suggest you be hypervigilant; but, swap that PSU if it reccurs.

#14 Reystar

Reystar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 08:59 AM

I suggested the PSU because you said it worked with the EVGA PSU and if that fixed it, its just like testing a bad light bulb.
You said, too, that it is now working OK so I'd suggest you be hypervigilant; but, swap that PSU if it reccurs.

Alright, i will keep the old PSU, the AX1200i for now, since i replaced the motherboard to see if it happens again, and if it happens again, i will swap to the EVGA to test it further more...

Edited by Reystar, 05 July 2016 - 08:59 AM.

#15 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 01:41 PM

Please let us know what happens, this is how we all learn. And....don't forget to check your CPU for the thermal grease issue if the power supply situation doesn't work out. Just FYI...I have one of these and use it all the time. If you do much of this, it may be worth investing in one. It really saves a lot of guesswork.

Edited by ranchhand_, 05 July 2016 - 01:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users