Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display PC screen on TV Wirelessly

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Mhauldom

Mhauldom

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 04 July 2016 - 04:51 PM

I want to connect a desktop PC to a TV sitting across the room wirelessly. I thought this would be an easy enough task, but am running into all sorts of different paths to go about this and am overwhelmed by the requirements. There is WiDi technology which I'm not familiar with, then HDMI transmitters that are a pretty penny. I'm stuck in the VGA days, so I'm unsure how to tackle the task of wireless display.

I really don't want a cable running across the room, so it is a requirement to transmit the screen wirelessly. Also, I would want the sound to transmit as well, being output by the TV speakers. I don't know if this is possible. I plan to control the screen with a mobile phone using Unified Remote. I'm not really sure where to start, especially because I keep hearing of this WiDi technology which I don't think is present on my computer. Any help and first steps for me to take would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 09 July 2016 - 03:29 AM

That is definitely very easy to do. Since video has a very high bandwidth you just need need a good 802.11ac compliant router connected to your computer on the one end and a good 802.11ac complaint receiver and computer connected to your TV on the other end. It should be very easy to hook the system up and it would be totally wireless.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,596 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 04:14 PM

You can use a Raspberry Pi in this project in place of a PC. This project could be built as a DIY project on the cheap, for under $300. I have been working out some plans for fun.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 04:37 PM

Do you only have PC's? If you have a android phone then you can get a chromecast and then a chromecast audio if you need a separate audio stream. It might be easier to use any audio output on your TV though. If you have iOS, then there is AppleTV. What model TV do you have? Does it JUST have VGA?

#5 Mhauldom

Mhauldom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 08:10 PM

That is definitely very easy to do. Since video has a very high bandwidth you just need need a good 802.11ac compliant router connected to your computer on the one end and a good 802.11ac complaint receiver and computer connected to your TV on the other end. It should be very easy to hook the system up and it would be totally wireless.

You can use a Raspberry Pi in this project in place of a PC. This project could be built as a DIY project on the cheap, for under $300. I have been working out some plans for fun.

I already have a router, but it isn't 802.11ac compatible. The raspberry pi idea is interesting, but probably a little too much for what I need it seems.

Do you only have PC's? If you have a android phone then you can get a chromecast and then a chromecast audio if you need a separate audio stream. It might be easier to use any audio output on your TV though. If you have iOS, then there is AppleTV. What model TV do you have? Does it JUST have VGA?

Well, I looked into Chromecast. I would need to use the experimental feature as I want to display more than web browsers. I need the display the entire desktop. Excel, word docs, explorer, as well as web browser pages. My TV is a basic HDTV. It's an Element ELEFW40C. I'm currently using its VGA port and the 3.5 audio jack. The cable running across the room is what I need to eliminate. There is an HDMI port, but I'm not sure how HDMI works and whether it can go wireless with a transmitter without software. And yes, I intend to use the TV speakers for audio output.

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 09:37 PM

The fact that you have HDMI, VGA and Composite gives you a lot of options. Did you have a price point in mind? That will help narrow down the options. Wireless HDMI is one option, but you might be able to go HDMI over ethernet and then ethernet over power, however how effective this is will greatly depend on the type of electrical wiring you have in your house.

#7 Mhauldom

Mhauldom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2016 - 02:13 PM

I don't have a price point in mind, but I want to be able to go with the cheapest option without sacrificing functionality. I'm in an apartment right now so I couldn't make any modifications to anything electrical or run wires. And since I'm only living here for a couple years, it would need to be a fairly easy, clean setup.

#8 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2016 - 02:26 PM

What is the brand & model of your computer? Do you have any other type of video out ports such as HDMI or DVI?

I ask because there are way more options for wireless HDMI adapters. Plus, HDMI has the advantage of also dealing with audio without a separate cable. On the down side, many of the HDMI options seem to be expensive.

In general, my suggestion would be to go to Amazon and search for "wireless VGA". FWIW, this was the first item that shows up on the list:

https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Multimedia-WPCTVPRO-VStream-Wireless/dp/B00AKYVMG2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468610313&sr=8-1&keywords=wireless+vga

It seems to get mixed reviews, so I cannot say how well it will work.

#9 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2016 - 02:52 PM

I hear good things about this kit. Here is a video on it.

#10 Mhauldom

Mhauldom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2016 - 01:51 PM

I hear good things about this kit. Here is a video on it.

I just got this kit in the mail, installed it and the kit itself works great, I'm getting video and audio from the TV. Thanks for the recommendation Trikein. However, the bads news is that there is some extra steps to take if you want to DUPLICATE a PC screen rather than extend the desktop. It looses signal (or at least that's what I observe) once you set the display on the PC to duplicate/clone mode. This is not a problem with the kit, but windows or the video card. I will have to do some more research on the topic and find a solution to this issue. It seems lots of people have trouble with duplicating a screen. I do recommend the IOGEAR Wireless HD kit though. A quick note is that it only comes with one HDMI cable.

#11 AllenSteve

AllenSteve

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:52 AM

Can Chromecast work for you?

I mean the stick that can be plugged in the HDMI.

#12 Mhauldom

Mhauldom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 04:34 PM

I considered Chromecast, it is one the cheapest options. From what I understand, it specializes in browser casting and casting the desktop is just an experimental feature. I'm just a little bit cautious with experimental things. I don't want to spend time constantly configuring and fixing problems. Experimental things are often buggy.

#13 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,596 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 04:39 PM

Here is some more info;

http://www.howtogeek.com/199565/mirror-anything-from-your-computer-to-your-tv-using-google-chromecast/

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users