Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

external hard disk fail and become raw

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kaiwen1210

kaiwen1210

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 04 July 2016 - 03:21 PM

i have a buffalo external hard disk, 2TB wd20ears

the disk become a raw partition, i tried all recovering software and it didint work

i also tried chkdsk /f /x /r also wont work, showing an error occurred while reading the file allocation table (fat 1)

currently i am using testdisk which are able to show me the folders inside, and i tried copying them out and it worked, but all files are corrupted. picture cant open and most importantly my work, adobe illustrator files (.AI) can be also recovered but cant be open. look like all the files inside are corrupted or damaged

anyone able to help me please? all works are so important to me. thank you very much for ur time

Edited by kaiwen1210, 04 July 2016 - 03:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 04 July 2016 - 03:42 PM

I think you are not going to recover any files that are not corrupted. You said you tried other software that failed to recover your files. Did any of the software find your files and were they also corrupted? 

I can't say this will work but you can download Partition Wizard here. Install and run the program. Start the partition recovery wizard. Do a Quick Scan. Does it detect any partitions. Highlight any partition found and double click it. Does it show your files? Do this for any partition found on the 2TB if you had more than one partition on it. 

Place a checkmark next to the partitions that showed files when you double clicked them. Press Finish then Apply. This should recover your partition but I cannot guarantee that the files on the recovered partitions will not be corrupted as even TestDisk failed. 

If a Quick Scan does not detect any partitions you can do a Full Scan but this will take a long time on a 2TB drive.

Edit: Depending on how important your data is you may have to use a professional data recovery service which can be expensive. One of the better ones is DriveSavers.

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 July 2016 - 03:44 PM.

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,599 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 04:18 PM

I haven't tried this method myself but check it out. Just make sure you are willing to take that chance before considering it

How to Convert/Change RAW File System to NTFS without Data Loss

http://www.easeus.com/resource/raw-file-system-to-ntfs.htm

The RAW drive can be caused by a number of reasons such as virus infection, format failure, accidentally shut down operating system, power outages, etc.

When you access the RAW drive, you will get an error message like "The disk in drive is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?"

If you click "No", the drive cannot be accessed. If you click "Yes", we will lose all of the files stored on this drive.

What that tells is do not try converting back to NTFS before trying to recover your data.

This isn't free: I didn't go back on-line to check how much it costs.

EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Professional is a powerful data recovery software that can first help get all data out from the RAW drive. Then you can format the RAW drive to NTFS, FAT or other file system. Besides this, EaseUS Data Recovery software can recover deleted files, recover files from raw drive, recover files from formatted drive, recover files from lost or deleted drive, etc.

#4 kaiwen1210

kaiwen1210
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 04 July 2016 - 09:54 PM

I think you are not going to recover any files that are not corrupted. You said you tried other software that failed to recover your files. Did any of the software find your files and were they also corrupted? 

I can't say this will work but you can download Partition Wizard here. Install and run the program. Start the partition recovery wizard. Do a Quick Scan. Does it detect any partitions. Highlight any partition found and double click it. Does it show your files? Do this for any partition found on the 2TB if you had more than one partition on it. 

Place a checkmark next to the partitions that showed files when you double clicked them. Press Finish then Apply. This should recover your partition but I cannot guarantee that the files on the recovered partitions will not be corrupted as even TestDisk failed. 

If a Quick Scan does not detect any partitions you can do a Full Scan but this will take a long time on a 2TB drive.

Edit: Depending on how important your data is you may have to use a professional data recovery service which can be expensive. One of the better ones is DriveSavers.

hello, thanks for ur reply. partition wizard are able to detect my hard disk, just finish the quick scan, the partition is there but it didint show any files inside. after i click finish still no luck, the drive still unable to access.

Edited by kaiwen1210, 04 July 2016 - 11:54 PM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,603 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 06:28 AM

See if you can recover any files using PhotoRec or Easeus as comptrgy suggested but if you tried other recovery software and it failed I don't think you chances are good PhotoRec would also work.

Is it possible to pull the drive from the enclosure and attach it to another computer either using an enclosure or USB adapter? There may be a problem with the USB bridge card. Does the Buffalo external encrypt your files? I noticed it uses a WD drive (wd20ears). If WD made the enclosure for Buffalo it's possible it encrypts the data and the drive cannot be removed and placed in an enclosure. You may want to contact Buffalo to confirm this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users