Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to diagnose charging issue?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 04 July 2016 - 03:04 PM

My wife thinks one of the kids threw out a bag of her stuff that had her laptop charger in it.  :/    So, she bought some universal ones.  They were working for a while but now...  that computer wont turn on.  We believe it's just a dead battery... however, the universal charger wont work.  We have two and we tried both.  The light comes on, on the charger itself(power cord) but no lights show up on the laptop.  It's not getting anything.

I am worried that someone messed with the settings on the universal, maybe set the voltage wrong or something, and something got fried.

Any thoughts on this?  And if so...  how am I supposed to figure out what to do next?  Is there a way to troubleshoot the issue?  Did the jack get fried? the MB?  anything?

Anyone have any cheap or free indestructible laptops by the way?  HA.  My family does not seem to know how to treat these things.  I try to get them not to use them on the couch and leave them plugged in there unattended but, it still happens. 
We have one Dell that has been to hell and back... the case is not attached in one corner where the hinge is so when it is open there's a big gap there.  It's our oldest laptop and in the worst condition and it still works.  ha. 
Anyway... 

I have to figure something out with my wife's laptop because she's not to happy not having one right now.  So please help.  :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 05 July 2016 - 04:21 AM

Hi,

Yes, using a universal adapter can blow out the components of the motherboard applying to much voltage. You need to get a original replacement adapter if you want to troubleshoot it yourself. However, be warned, the motherboard can be blown. Some proprietary adapters also have a center pin that is a sensor wire. This tells the bios that the proper voltage, amperage, wattage is being applied & it will power/charge correctly. If that pin is not making contact via (universal adapter) broken in the adapter end, or on the computers power port it will also not power/charge correctly. Another issue, is that the adapters brick gets knocked around on the floor and it can get damaged inside causing the same issues. If you still get no power or voltage from a new adapter, then it needs to go to the repair shop to determine the extent of the damage. Laptops also need a fresh battery installed in order to work and power on. All of these things will vary on different laptop models.

Edited by technonymous, 05 July 2016 - 04:22 AM.

#3 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 732 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 05 July 2016 - 07:02 AM

Genuine <manufacturer> (i.e. Dell, HP, Sony, Acer, etc) ac adapters are $12 to $30 on EBay.  What is the make and model of the laptop?

You might also want to check the jack to see if it is broken.  Set the laptop so you can easily inspect it and use a toothpick or small screwdriver to see if it is loose (wiggles).  I also see them where the plastic part of the jack has broken loose and is missing.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users