Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

92 year old Dad clicks on Tech support popup, $250 bucks poorer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Piumartian

Piumartian

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 04 July 2016 - 02:49 PM

Ok, my dad is pretty sharp.  Loves his window's 7, Excel and Word wiz.  Gets on the internet and becomes  a total newbie.  

This time...calls me to say, " I paid a company $250.00 to "fix' my computer which started flashing the screen, and the speaker was making an alarm sound.  I called the number which popped up on the screen, and a kind man helped me stop the flashing, and the alarm, he took over my computer and it all stopped"

He then gave the tech support his credit card and was charged $250.00 for a "annual service subscription".

Step 1 - I called the Credit card company and reported the fraud, had the  charged dismissed, and the account closed, new card issued.

Step 2 - unplugged his desktop from the cable modem, and took the box home with with

Step 3 -  contacted Bleeping computer

Step 4 - contriubuted to the BC defense fund!

Step 5....now what?  Was he infected?  did this company really "take over" his computer?   I'm not   getting great answers from "Dad", because he was so flustered by the whole experience, and pretty embarrassed about getting scammed.

Do these unscrupulous  tech support scammers actually drop a virus on a computer, and if so have others had this experience?

He had AVG running on his machine but no alerts.

I'm running an compete scan, then a malware bytes .   Can you suggest anything else?

Thanks in advance and thanks for saving me over the years.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cybercynic

cybercynic

• Members
  • 557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 04 July 2016 - 04:33 PM

If he had some guy mucking about in the pc, there's no telling what mischief he was trying to get into. 

You could also run Hitman Pro (free copy) and AdwCleaner (free) 

I'm not familiar with the protocol on this forum - check to see if there are some utilities that you are supposed to run to give the experts some inside information.

Don't be too hard on poor old dad - this type of scam is very common. Some people I know have fallen for it.

We are drowning in information - and starving for wisdom.

#3 Piumartian

Piumartian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:38 AM

I just ran AVG total scan and came up with 3 identical PUP's.  All from "TurbomyPC".

Also ran a Malwarebytes and came up with 3 other PUP's.  

Holiday is over, hope all the really really smart folks at Bleeping had a great holiday (assuming all are from the USA and care about July 4th) and are ready to get back to 'work'.

Any help with scouring Dad's computer is totally appreciated.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users