Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer problems restarting

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 roekori

roekori

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 04 July 2016 - 01:39 PM

Lately I've been having a problem with computer not wanting to restart or turn on from a cold boot. The fans will turn on and it sounds like everything is running but I get no usb power or monitor connection. Sometimes after it boots it'll hang up and I'll have to turn it off and wait again. The waiting process can take a long time. I've waited ffor 7 hrs for it to turn on after a cold boot. Like I said, the fans are powering on but no display or usb power. My systems specs are Windows 7 62 bit, AMD Phenom quad core, 8gb ddr3 ram, nvidia geforce gtx660, and 600w psu. I have the stock Asustek cm1630 mobo.

One thing about this problem is that once the computer actually boots up, I have no problems until I have to restart it again. So the computer is still definitely fully functional after it gets past the hang on the initial boot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,439 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 04 July 2016 - 01:58 PM

PSU manufacturer and model?

#3 roekori

roekori
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 03:36 PM

I was mistaken about the 600w thing I think. It's a corsair cx500, so it's 500w. I've had problems with 2 psus before this with bsods and etc. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the problem. 

UPDATE: Since you said something about the power supply, I took it upon myself to experiment. I unplugged my cdrom and all my usb devices and my computer fired up immediately after attempting to boot for hours. Definitely going to look into a new psu in the future. It's running fine with no problems at the moment. Will keep you posted on any new problems, if you have any other suggestions other than the psu please let me know.

Edited by roekori, 05 July 2016 - 07:12 PM.

#4 roekori

roekori
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 03:08 PM

Still having the same problems. Was working temporarily. Thinking about ordering a new psu. Any way I can be sure it's the psu before I order one?

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,439 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 03:49 PM

Still having the same problems. Was working temporarily. Thinking about ordering a new psu. Any way I can be sure it's the psu before I order one?

You cannot be sure unless you have surely working spare parts. If you have, you need to test one by one and rule out that PSU is problem.

Problem is probably PSU or motherboard, I expect PSU.

#6 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:51 PM

Cx series psus have known capacitor problems, stay away from them if you plan on replacing.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#7 roekori

roekori
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2016 - 03:19 PM

Ok so I got a 450w psu to test. It started up, but my boot screen was glitched. I reset my CMOS battery and am now posting on the forums from the computer. The boot screen was still glitched and off to the side though. May be fixed by restarting I haven't tried. Anyways, I'm noticing some small hangs in Windows. I'm wondering if this could be the mobo? Or possibly just the low quality integrated gpu.

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,439 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2016 - 03:23 PM

Ok so I got a 450w psu to test. It started up, but my boot screen was glitched. I reset my CMOS battery and am now posting on the forums from the computer. The boot screen was still glitched and off to the side though. May be fixed by restarting I haven't tried. Anyways, I'm noticing some small hangs in Windows. I'm wondering if this could be the mobo? Or possibly just the low quality integrated gpu.

Sounds more like motherboard problem than integrated GPU. If it's GPU, screen should be glitched on Windows also.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users