Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen Freezes Constantly- Issue w/ Intel HD Graphics 530 Driver on Win10 Laptop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 04 July 2016 - 11:27 AM

My Computer: HP Envy  - 15t Slim Quad Laptop

Problem: Intel HD Graphics 530 driver causing my laptop to freeze (when on internet)

Full Story:  I have been having problems with my brand new HP Envy  - 15t Slim Quad Laptop that I bought preloaded with Windows 10.   About 3 months ago, I bought an HP Envy  - 15t Slim Quad Laptop  from HP's web-site.  I had problems with this laptop right away.  The Bang & Olufsen speakers let out a crackling static noise from the upper right hand speaker.  Then, my laptop screen kept freezing for a second and I'd get a pop-up message about the display driver.  When I went to Problem Reports it said that it was a hardware error (this happened over 10 times in a couple days).  When I contacted HP, the gentlemen that I spoke with said that I received a lemon and so he exchanged my laptop for a new one.

Over a month later, I received a new laptop from HP in the mail.  This is the laptop that I am currently using.  The speaker still makes the crackling static noise, but not as much.  What is really annoying me is this ongoing issue with my display driver.  I have now had at least 40 to 50 (maybe more) times where my screen has frozen and I got a pop-up message about the display driver (Problem Reports calls it a hardware error).  IIRC, these issues occur when I am on the internet (no matter what program I use to get on the internet).  This is what happens:

• I am on the internet and my screen freezes
  • I get a pop-up message in the bottom right-hand corner that says, "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered.  Display driver Intel HD Graphics Drivers for Windows 8® stopped responding and has successfully recovered."  FYI, I have a Intel HD Graphics 530 driver.
  • If you go to the Problem Reports section it says:

Description

A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature

Problem Event Name:                      LiveKernelEvent

Code:  141

Parameter 1:                                      ffffe002015324c0

Parameter 2:                                      fffff8018de76710

Parameter 3:                                      0

Parameter 4:                                      25f8

OS version:                                        10_0_10586

Service Pack:                                     0_0

Product:                                             768_1

OS Version:                                        10.0.10586.2.0.0.768.101

Locale ID:                                           1033

Extra information about the problem

Bucket ID:                                          LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_igdkmd64.sys_GEN9_0_BBHANG

I've tried to look up this problem on-line and it seems like a lot of people with Windows 10 have experienced problems with their Intel HD Graphics 530 driver.  It isn't just HP laptops: there are people with many different brand laptops that are experiencing this issue.  Some complain that their screen is flickering: mine is not flickering, it is only freezing. 

If you go to the Intel forum on-line it seems like the people at Intel don't seem to have a solution that has been working for people.  And, my computer says that I have the latest Driver. 

What do I do?  I would rather find a permanent solution other than getting a new computer or buying a new graphics card.  This has been very frustrating to deal with.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 948 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 04 July 2016 - 02:29 PM

The HD Graphics 530 is part of your CPU chip and it is soldered on to the system board.

Try these drivers: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26078/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-?product=80939

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 09:15 PM

The HD Graphics 530 is part of your CPU chip and it is soldered on to the system board.

Try these drivers: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26078/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-?product=80939

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. Let me restate (and I'm no computer expert), I have a Intel HD Graphics 530 graphics card.

I ran an Intel Driver Update Utility and got this message:

Intel%20Driver%20Update%20Utility_zpslum

The drive in mentioned in the Intel Driver Update Utility seems to be the same one as your link. 

And this is what the System Information section of my computer said:

System%20Information_zpsvt0ett6j.jpg

What do you think?  Should I still download the driver that you showed me?  I also found this on Intel's web-site and it seems to show an even more recent driver, assuming it would work on my computer (will it?).  By the way, what are the long-term ramifications of my screen always freezing / always getting these hardware errors?

Edited by Ro_Laren, 04 July 2016 - 09:52 PM.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 04 July 2016 - 09:39 PM

Don't worry about Windows telling you drivers are up to date Windows uses Microsoft servers to check if drivers up to date and drivers at Microsoft servers are most often old drivers.

This beta version driver is provided to confirm pending driver code changes that resolves an OS flicker issue seen when playing games or content due to changes between 1080p and 1080i.

Intel® Beta Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 and Windows 7*/8.1* [15.40]

Posted Image

#5 Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 10:08 PM

Don't worry about Windows telling you drivers are up to date Windows uses Microsoft servers to check if drivers up to date and drivers at Microsoft servers are most often old drivers.

This beta version driver is provided to confirm pending driver code changes that resolves an OS flicker issue seen when playing games or content due to changes between 1080p and 1080i.

Intel® Beta Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 and Windows 7*/8.1* [15.40]

My laptop is not experiencing any sort of flickering.  My screen literally freezes when I am on-line and I can't do anything (it lasts less than a minute IIRC).  Do you still recommend the same driver?

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 04 July 2016 - 10:52 PM

Yes install the beta driver to see issue resolves. 

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.
Checkmark the following checkboxes:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
  • List Restore Points

Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Posted Image

#7 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 948 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 05 July 2016 - 06:20 AM

I searched for your freezing and crashing problem. What appeared as a fix was a December, 2015, beta driver that also said it was not being updated by Microsoft because it was not WHQL (Windows Hardware Quality Labs) certified. Thinking that was a little old led me to the one I posted.
Normally, I would only point you to the manufacturer; but, with two laptops experiencing the same problems, we need to address it quickly. I, BTW, personally saw a brand new Dell XPS 13 with one of the same problems (audio crackling) less than a month ago and warned the owner she needed to keep an eye out for problems.
It is either a driver issue, a timing issue that would hopefully be fixed with a BIOS update, or a hardware defect. Try the June 2016 driver (not the beta), OK?
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users