Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not enough space to update? Ubuntu 15.10

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 04 July 2016 - 10:22 AM

Hi all,

I am running Ubuntu 15.10 on a 120GB ssd as my boot device. When I went to update today, here is what it told me.

screenshot-from-2016-07-04-11-19-01.png Not enough free space? I should have 92GB of free space? Why won't it update?

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 04 July 2016 - 12:08 PM

Do you have a separate /boot partition?

#3 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 01:00 PM

I'll second Al.  Looks like you have a separate /boot, which is a good thing.  You probably have a bunch of extra kernels you don't need.  I recently ran into this on a different distribution (you should regularly run "df -h", anything over about 90% full you should look at reclaiming space), I had about 9 versions of kernels.

Unless you are doing kernel development, you should probably keep only 2 kernels around:  the one you are currently booted into and the one previous to that (assumption is that everything worked fine with both of them).  Then you update the kernel, run the latest for a while, get rid of the oldest if the latest works fine.

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#4 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,366 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 01:11 PM

Df -h results

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev            7.8G     0  7.8G   0% /dev
tmpfs           1.6G  9.8M  1.6G   1% /run
/dev/dm-0        94G  8.5G   81G  10% /
tmpfs           7.8G  232K  7.8G   1% /dev/shm
tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs           7.8G     0  7.8G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/sda2       237M  157M   68M  70% /boot
/dev/sda1       511M  3.4M  508M   1% /boot/efi
cgmfs           100K     0  100K   0% /run/cgmanager/fs
tmpfs           1.6G  8.0K  1.6G   1% /run/user/119
tmpfs           1.6G   28K  1.6G   1% /run/user/1000

How should I delete the extra kernels?

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#5 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 01:41 PM

I use:
sudo apt-get autoremove
..to get rid of old kernels.

(If you haven't run that command before, it takes a while, and if you have lots of old kernels you will find grub updates itself several times before the command is finished running. It can also produce ominous looking messages about uninstalling video drivers, but they are harmless).

#6 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,366 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 06:11 PM

Thanks!

sudo apt-get autoclean worked. 

Now I have some updating to do. 

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#7 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 05 July 2016 - 04:11 AM

Now THAT was interesting ... shame I didn't get my hands on it earlier.

Congrats, Captain, for problem solved.

You may want to revisit http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/605768/hoovering-linux-housekeeping-benefits/  in which if I am not mistaken you had some input?

Linux needs far less housekeeping than other OSes, and has virtually NO defragmentation, but it still needs a sweep from time to time, lol

Cheers

:wizardball: Wiz

#8 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,366 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 08:43 PM

Thanks for the link. I had some input there. I just stayed away from it after running bleachbit at recommendation of another user trashed my OS. 

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#9 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 11:32 PM

I understand. Nick has been known to say on more than one occasion that it trashed his system once. I am not sure why we get such diametrically different inputs on it, but I'm not going near it to find out.

Only solution I recommend are ones which I have trialled on a number of the 33 Linux Distros I run currently, that way I'll take a caning before anyone else does.

Off Topic, so won't go further but glad to hear you are up and running again.

Cheers

:wizardball: Wiz

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2016 - 05:35 AM

Thanks for the link. I had some input there. I just stayed away from it after running bleachbit at recommendation of another user trashed my OS. 

That's for sure, over 7 years back, BleachBit or Computer Janitor trashed my XP install, while WUBI (Ubuntu) was running as an installed software within Windows. :P

The odd thing was that I could boot into Ubuntu, yet not the OS it was running inside of. Today, I'd know how to fix that with a partition tool or OS media, back then I didn't. Back in those days, WUBI was heavily pushed to get new Ubuntu users to try their OS w/out giving up their installed one, or setting up a dual boot, and like any other software, could be uninstalled. 

Though there's one catch. The HDD must be defragmented well, at least two full passes, as it turned out, mine ended up 55% fragmented & couldn't get it reduced any lower. After that fiasco. that taught me to image my drives regularly. It wasn't like I had no backup drive, had a brand new 500GiB Seagate one & an early version of Macrium Reflect on my computer, plus Seagate Disk Wizard. Just thought like many others, that the bad things only happens to others, didn't realize that I should had imaged before installing WUBI. 

Yes these tools are very powerful, not only can torch the Linux install, also any that's on the physical computer. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#11 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 03:57 PM

Looking at the differences between autoclean and autoremove, the kernel(s) you removed must have been old ones that are no longer in the repositories.

From man apt-get:

autoclean
Like clean, autoclean clears out the local repository of retrieved package files. The difference is
that it only removes package files that can no longer be downloaded, and are largely useless. This
allows a cache to be maintained over a long period without it growing out of control. The
configuration option APT::Clean-Installed will prevent installed packages from being erased if it
is set to off.

autoremove
autoremove is used to remove packages that were automatically installed to satisfy dependencies for
other packages and are now no longer needed.

So you may be able to clear more space in your /boot partition, if you find you need it, by running sudo apt-get autoremove.

Edited by Al1000, 13 July 2016 - 03:58 PM.

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 04:00 PM

Ubuntu 15 end of support is this month, isnt it?

Edited by NickAu, 13 July 2016 - 04:01 PM.

#13 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 04:05 PM

Yep.

Ubuntu 15.10 reached its end-of-life on 28 July 2016

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ubuntu_releases#Ubuntu_15.10_.28Wily_Werewolf.29

#14 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,366 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 05:49 PM

Yep. Upgrading to 16.04 now.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#15 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 06:00 PM

Good luck (you shouldn't need it) - I have both The Unity and the MATE running and they seem quite good.

You could do me a favour (if you had your firewall running previously) and when fully installed, go to Terminal and report the output of

sudo ufw status

... so I can add the info to my Knowledge Base. I haven't upgraded through the inbuilt upgrader before.

Cheers

:wizardball: Wizard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users