Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sudden grayed-out Login Screen, cannot Navigate in BIOS

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Crimzin

Crimzin

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 04 July 2016 - 08:22 AM

Hi,

I am having a weird problem. The first problem was that I could not remember my password. I kept randomly entering possible passwords, none of which worked. I turned the laptop off for awhile. It is not likely that is related, but the second problem happened when I started up again, and the Login Screen came up, the password box, and all other icons/options are NOW grayed-out. Cannot type in password field, cannot shut down from shutdown icon; have to do manual shutdown. I HAVE mouse function ( using a wireless mouse ) in Login Screen.
This does not change, no matter how many reboots.

I discovered a third problem in BIOS now too: no up/down/right/left key function, so am unable to access anything. This does not change, no matter how many reboots.

Any idea what is going on with all this??  Any thoughts on a remedy or workaround.....I really don't want to lose important files, need to get into this laptop.

( I am using an ASUS Laptop, Windows 10 free upgrade from Windows 8.1. No problems at all until these 3 problems suddenly appeared.
Skilled User/Computer Consultant/System Builder, but this one has me stumped. )

Thanks,
Crimzin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 04 July 2016 - 11:43 AM

Hi,

I am having a weird problem. The first problem was that I could not remember my password. I kept randomly entering possible passwords, none of which worked. I turned the laptop off for awhile. It is not likely that is related, but the second problem happened when I started up again, and the Login Screen came up, the password box, and all other icons/options are NOW grayed-out. Cannot type in password field, cannot shut down from shutdown icon; have to do manual shutdown. I HAVE mouse function ( using a wireless mouse ) in Login Screen.
This does not change, no matter how many reboots.

Hello and :welcome: to Bleeping Computer

When the login screen grays out, do Ctrl + Alt + Delete

It happened to me once, and when I did that hotkey, the login screen suddenly worked

Now, for you password problems, did you use Microsoft Account or a local account when setting up the computer?

PS- We will work on the BIOS issues after fixing the first two issues because we need more information like which BIOS, the BIOS version, or if its UEFI etc

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#3 Crimzin

Crimzin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:19 AM

Hi, thanks for the Welcome CKing,

Here is the report on info in your post:

*I have both MS Account and Local Account set up.  Got new password for MS Account, so have that; unknown what Local Account Password is.
*Here is BIOS info from initial screen, but no Navigational key function, so cannot go past this screen and cannot select anything on this page:

American Megatrends Ver. 513
GOP Ver. 7.1.1005
EC Ver. B0bm010001

Time and Date are displaying correctly

1) Login screen not grayed out, but no keyboard function now, so MS Account PW not possible, nor is Ctrl+Alt+Del.

2) Still have Mouse function ( after Reboots, sometimes grayed-out, sometimes not, but no  keyboard function in any case )

3) Could not get to BIOS no keyboard function
4) Kept trying F12, F2, F8 just to see if I could get in ( nothing )
5) Finally got the Troubleshooting/Restore Screen, and chose to go to BIOS from there
6) Could select screens with Mouse
7) Tried to do a 'Restore to Previous Time', but could not use because could not type Password

8) Manual shutdown via Power Button necessary at all times

9) Numerous Restarts, numerous Shutdowns/Starts, let set for 1 hour, 3 hours, 6 hours, etc. etc.  to see if any changes

This ASUS Laptop is fairly new, but this situation is looking more like a physical problem rather than an OS problem, to me now.

What would you try at this point......besides a sledge hammer.....?

Crimzin

Edited by Crimzin, 07 July 2016 - 09:20 AM.

#4 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:25 AM

Hi

1) Login screen not grayed out, but no keyboard function now, so MS Account PW not possible, nor is Ctrl+Alt+Del.

2) Still have Mouse function ( after Reboots, sometimes grayed-out, sometimes not, but no  keyboard function in any case )

3) Could not get to BIOS no keyboard function
4) Kept trying F12, F2, F8 just to see if I could get in ( nothing )
5) Finally got the Troubleshooting/Restore Screen, and chose to go to BIOS from there
6) Could select screens with Mouse
7) Tried to do a 'Restore to Previous Time', but could not use because could not type Password

8) Manual shutdown via Power Button necessary at all times

9) Numerous Restarts, numerous Shutdowns/Starts, let set for 1 hour, 3 hours, 6 hours, etc. etc.  to see if any changes

This ASUS Laptop is fairly new, but this situation is looking more like a physical problem rather than an OS problem, to me now.

What would you try at this point......besides a sledge hammer.....?

Crimzin

Seems to me your laptop's keyboard is damaged

If your laptop is still under warranty, you should have your keyboard replaced

Or, you can try a USB keyboard

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users