Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux From Scratch

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cybormoron

cybormoron

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 01:06 AM

i really don't know this distro so if anyone does i would love to hear some comments. i thought it would be a good post because it says something about teaching people how a linux system works internally and there's a book that comes with it also. should be fun and educational working with this distro.

quote taken from the distrowatch description;

Linux From Scratch (LFS) is a project that provides you with the steps necessary to build your own custom Linux system. There are a lot of reasons why somebody would want to install an LFS system. The question most people raise is "why go through all the hassle of manually installing a Linux system from scratch when you can just download an existing distribution like Debian or Redhat". That is a valid question which I hope to answer for you. The most important reason for LFS's existence is teaching people how a Linux system works internally. Building an LFS system teaches you about all that makes Linux tick, how things work together, and depend on each other. And most importantly, how to customize it to your own taste and needs.

all pertinent links can be found at distrowatch
http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=03626#0

Posted Image

Edited by cybormoron, 12 August 2006 - 01:13 AM.

I can no longer sit back and allow Microsoft infiltration, Microsoft indoctrination, Microsoft subversion, and the international Microsoft conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious open source GNU/Linux operating systems. General Jack D. Ripper.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 toshibauser

toshibauser

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 04:41 AM

that sounds very interesting, but is this very difficult to do, and how much computer knowledge does it require.

#3 cybormoron

cybormoron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 12:53 AM

i really don't know this distro but the book says there is a "certain level of existing knowledge" required. so i reckon there may be a bit of a learning curve. it has links to prerequisite reading so if you like studying and learning this seems like a good little subject to work on.

i couldn't copy the text from the pdf so i took a snapshot. it's from the linux from scratch-book version6.2.
Posted Image

Edited by cybormoron, 13 August 2006 - 12:54 AM.

I can no longer sit back and allow Microsoft infiltration, Microsoft indoctrination, Microsoft subversion, and the international Microsoft conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious open source GNU/Linux operating systems. General Jack D. Ripper.

#4 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 18 August 2006 - 05:13 AM

I know lots of guys who started linux from scratch. Most got as far as a working Desktop, and were trying to bundle certain apps packages and work out dependencies and keep it stable...bla bla bla bla

Bottom line, It too k them months to get it going Decently. Most quit before ever having finished.
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#5 kbk

kbk

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 12:31 PM

To do linux from scratch you need alot of time on your hands. You also need to know what the hell you're doing when it comes to compiling and installing things. My friend made one that worked pretty well, I will eventually be hosting the iso on my ftp so anyone who wants it can download it.
www.thisisbeyondbelief.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users