Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chrome opens many connections from the same 'local address'

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Thelps

Thelps

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 04 July 2016 - 05:05 AM

I'm very new to networking and had a question that hopefully has a very simple answer.

I use a VPN which means all my internet traffic should hop to the VPN server meaning I'll only see one operating IP in all my network monitoring software.

However, when I run netstat -ano I see Google Chrome has opened many connections to 172.20.0.1 which is not associated with my VPN.

What is causing Chrome to bypass the VPN? Is it intentional or the cause of some malware/trojan software specifically defined to thwart the VPNs anonymity?

I have tried multiple different VPN protocols and ports always with the same result of certain system processes and Google Chrome accessing the internet via ports other than the VPN's encrypted tunnel.

Edited by Thelps, 04 July 2016 - 05:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 06:29 PM

Hi

In networking, 172.20.0.1 connections basically does not go lan, but not over the internet

-CKing

Edited by CKing123, 07 July 2016 - 06:34 PM.

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users