Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't run Memtest 86

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 StillXPRro

StillXPRro

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 04 July 2016 - 02:48 AM

I'm still on XP Pro, and yes, I know.

I keep my computer squeaky clean, don't run unnecessary programs in background, throw out garbage regularly, etc. I'm a veteran of 20 years at our computer club, so I know when something's not right.

Opening or deleting a file or using the context menu is agonizing. Firefox locks up a few time a day with "Not responding."  There's definitely a memory issue.  I extracted Memtest86.zip onto a USB stick, changed the boot order in the BIOS, but the comp won't boot with it. Tried the same with a CD, and it goes right into Windows.  I've never used it before on this comp., but I've used it with success on others, back in the floppy disk days. What might be blocking it?  Should I try a different program?

Edited by StillXPRro, 04 July 2016 - 02:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 04 July 2016 - 04:35 AM

Hi,

Can you access the CD from inside Windows XP? What files do you see on the disk?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 04 July 2016 - 12:02 PM

Memtest86 is the older/obsolete version...Memtest86+ is the more recent version which is considered much more reliable than the outdated Memtest86.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memtest86

Louis

#4 StillXPRro

StillXPRro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 12:31 PM

Hi,

Can you access the CD from inside Windows XP? What files do you see on the disk?

folders:

[BOOT]

EFI

ISOLINUX

Files:

EFIBOOT.img

GUIDE.pdf

LICENSE.rtf

SRC.tgz

Edited by StillXPRro, 04 July 2016 - 12:34 PM.

#5 StillXPRro

StillXPRro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 12:35 PM

Memtest86 is the older/obsolete version...Memtest86+ is the more recent version which is considered much more reliable than the outdated Memtest86.

Louis

Would that matter on such an old system?  I think I might just be doing something wrong.  I've used Mtest only once in 20 years.

Do I D/L the binary or the ISO? 

http://www.memtest.org/

Edited by StillXPRro, 04 July 2016 - 12:47 PM.

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,128 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 01:55 PM

Hi,

folders:

[BOOT]

EFI

ISOLINUX

Files:

EFIBOOT.img

GUIDE.pdf

LICENSE.rtf

SRC.tgz

Ok that should work. Did you try to insert the CD, power off the machine and then on?

If you burn the CD on another newer machine make sure you use a lower speed like 8x if possible.

By the way I prefer to use the PassMark Memtest86 free its updated for newer systems and also includes the older version for older machines.

Edited by SleepyDude, 04 July 2016 - 01:55 PM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#7 StillXPRro

StillXPRro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 02:37 PM

1--Ok that should work. Did you try to insert the CD, power off the machine and then on?

2--If you burn the CD on another newer machine make sure you use a lower speed like 8x if possible.

3--By the way I prefer to use the PassMark Memtest86 free its updated for newer systems and also includes the older version for older machines.

1-Yes, but it doesn't work.   I know flash drives sometimes have boot issues, so I intentionally used a CD.

2- I burned it on this one.  My other one is maybe only 2 years newer. Financial issues.

3--Passmark un-updated, is actually what I used. Passmark owns the old one.

Is there maybe another  reliable program for doing this if my machine is allergic to Memtest?? 

Edited by StillXPRro, 04 July 2016 - 02:37 PM.

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,128 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 02:54 PM

1-Yes, but it doesn't work.   I know flash drives sometimes have boot issues, so I intentionally used a CD.

Do you have any another bootable CD that works on the machine?

___
Rui

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 04 July 2016 - 08:11 PM

Louis

Would that matter on such an old system?  I think I might just be doing something wrong.  I've used Mtest only once in 20 years.

Do I D/L the binary or the ISO? 
http://www.memtest.org/

Yes it does matter the Memtest86+ has patched Memtest86 bugs it has new enhancements you should check out the Memtest86+ website.

Based on the well-known original memtest86 written by Chris Brady, memtest86+ is a port by some members of the x86-secret team, now working at www.canardpc.com. Our goal is to provide an up-to-date and completly reliable version of this software tool aimed at memory failures detection.

Posted Image

#10 StillXPRro

StillXPRro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 08:12 PM

I'll try that and get back to you.  should I D/L the ISO or the binary?

Edited by StillXPRro, 04 July 2016 - 08:13 PM.

#11 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 08:27 PM

Issue you have describe more likely cause by HDD not RAM as if RAM was failing Windows will have Blue Screen Of Death ( BSOD) my Firefox freeze all the time its do to either installed add-ons or Firefox has bug which i have read lots of people complaining about Firefox freezing issue so it must have bug.

I'm not saying you should not check RAM for errors i'm saying execute Chkdsk C: /r command and use the HDD Diagnostic Tool for your brand of HDD to check the SMART health report you can even repair any surface errors by doing Extended Test (or Long Test).  Check out the instructions at below website link. The third party antivirus could be causing the issue uninstall all third party antivirus programs to check issue gets resolves.

Hard Drive Diagnostics

http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html

Posted Image

#12 StillXPRro

StillXPRro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 09:04 PM

Issue you have describe more likely cause by HDD not RAM as if RAM was failing Windows will have Blue Screen Of Death ( BSOD) my Firefox freeze all the time its do to either installed add-ons or Firefox has bug which i have read lots of people complaining about Firefox freezing issue so it must have bug.

I'm not saying you should not check RAM for errors i'm saying execute Chkdsk C: /r command and use the HDD Diagnostic Tool for your brand of HDD to check the SMART health report you can even repair any surface errors by doing Extended Test (or Long Test).  Check out the instructions at below website link. The third party antivirus could be causing the issue uninstall all third party antivirus programs to check issue gets resolves.

Hard Drive Diagnostics

http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html

It's not exactly a freeze. F F says "Not responding" but If I wait a while, it picks up where I left off. But opening or deleting  a file or using the context menu on the desktop takes a long time.

OK, I've gone to Carrona, and gone to the WD page. I have the model #, D/L the diagnostic.

It's late, tomorrow I'll check the mem, HD and the checkdisk. 

Edited by StillXPRro, 04 July 2016 - 09:09 PM.

#13 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 09:19 PM

My Firefox also says "Not responding" when it freeze and if given time to recover my Firefox session will resumes most of the time.

You can download Data LifeGuard Diagnostics for Windows or Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS from below link select your HDD brand name from the drop down list.

Software & Downloads

http://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?DL

Posted Image

#14 StillXPRro

StillXPRro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 04:04 PM

My Firefox also says "Not responding" when it freeze and if given time to recover my Firefox session will resumes most of the time.

You can download Data LifeGuard Diagnostics for Windows or Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS from below link select your HDD brand name from the drop down list.

Software & Downloads

http://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?DL

I tested C and D with Ckdsk, and they're both fine.

I extracted MemTest86+ ISO to a new CD, and it looks like this:

[BOOT]  (folder)

BOOT    (folder)

readme.txt

The readme says:

" -e There is nothing to do here. Memtest86+ is located on the bootsector of this CD

-e Just boot from this CD and Memtest86+ will launch"

Last week I said it wouldn't boot from the flash drive. Changed the BIOS, and it won't boot from the CD either.  This comp has been trouble-free, and I don't think I ever tried changing the boot order before :-(

Edited by StillXPRro, 08 July 2016 - 04:04 PM.

#15 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:55 PM

Make sure to turn off Secure Boot and enable Legacy BIOS (Compatibility Support Module (CSM) ) as i think Memtest86+ not compatible with UEFI firmware i just notice your computer using Windows XP if i'm not wrong i just wake up.

You don't extract Memtest86+ ISO image content you need to burn the Memtest86+ ISO image on to CD you can use free ImgBurn program to burn the Memtest86+ ISO image on to CD .

Make sure to configure BIOS boot order to boot from the DVD/CD drive.

How to write an image file to a disc using ImgBurn

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users