Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Ripping Programs?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Lanimilbus

Lanimilbus

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 12:01 AM

A while ago I shipped a few VHS tapes of mine to someone that I paid to transfer them to DVDs and ship them back. I thought I could move the content from the DVDs to my computer as a mpg file that I could view and upload to my website, but apparently I need a DVD ripping program for that. Since I haven't been able to find any free downloadable programs, I'm trying to find a cheap (under $30) program that will transfer all of the video from the DVD to my computer as something like a mpg, preferably something that can transfer it so that the videos (which are around 30 minutes long) will have a fairly small file size while still having relatively the same quality that it would have on the DVD. Can anyone recommend any programs for me? Thanks,

-Alec

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 02:12 AM

Hi Lanimilbus

This site deals with all issues of this nature so you should find something HERE.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 Federer Express

Federer Express

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 02:21 AM

Also www.videohelp.com is a great place for help on playing/ripping/converting multimedia on computers.
What the Bleep are you talking about? Are you Bleepin' kidding me?
You think this is Bleepin' funny?

#4 Lanimilbus

Lanimilbus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2006 - 10:36 PM

Thanks for the links!
I downloaded Xilisoft DVD Ripper 4 and everything worked fine, except by only 1% into the transfer from the DVD to MPEG-2, the file was already 67MB, and that was just 1% out of the first 5 minutes, since the first 5 minutes of the DVD is all that the trial version will transfer. That's 67MB for just 3 seconds of video...if I had let the whole process run, it would have ended up being 6,700MB, or 6.5GB, for only five minutes of video..which definitely doesn't seem right. Before I decide whether or not to buy it, can someone tell me why it's transferring so that it's huge, and if there's anything I can do to change it? I know it's possible to have high-quality mpegs that are 20 or 30 minutes long and around 140MB in file size, so how do I do the same? Thanks again.

#5 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 10:58 PM

Check out these posts and see if they help you: DVD Ripping & Burning.

Also, 140MB of video is a very small amount. Normal 90min movies I have backed up run around 4 - 4.5GB and some DVD9 (dual Layer) ones can be around 7GB so you need a lot of room before you start.

Cheers

Edited by rowal5555, 13 August 2006 - 05:39 AM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#6 forkart

forkart

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 01:22 AM

My favorites is YASA DVD Ripper platinum. I always use it to rip dvd to mpeg avi divx ipod. It never lets me down. Just recommend it here.
http://www.yasasoft.com/dvdripperplatinum/

#7 jbravo

jbravo

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 03:45 AM

Try here too for some video conversion softwares.

good luck.

#8 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 12:29 PM

Hello.
I have been using AnyDVD by Slysoft.It really is very easy to use and there is a 21 day free trial.There is also a Forum which gives very good advice.You will find it under support on their website.
Regards.

#9 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 12:58 PM

Hello again
Here's the link

.http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?threadid=72022

#10 moon_walker1949

moon_walker1949

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 02:40 PM

Burn4Free CD DVD COPY - DVD BURNER. I have used burn4free for quite a while now. This program is freeware.

Burn4Free burn data (CD and DVD) and audio from different files types (WAV, FLAC, WavPack, WMA, M3U (mp3 winamp compilation) , MP3, MP2, MP1 OGG and CDA (normal cd audio tracks) CD-R/CD-RW/DVD-R/DVD+R/DVD-RW/DVD+RW/DVD-RAM drives (SCSI - IDE/EIDE - USB) are supported
4 ways to burn your CD/DVD: you can choose the way you prefer to burn a CD/DVD (fly window, right click from explorer, internal add window, derag & drop. Burn and save .ISO files. Burn MP3 compilation. Free online upgrades. 1900 + COMPATIBLE RECORDERS.

Burn4free
Posted Image

#11 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 04:05 PM

I looked at this site.My Pop Up blocker went absolutely beserk.This makes me very suspicious especially as SiteAdvisor takes a very cautious attitude.

#12 Federer Express

Federer Express

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 06:11 AM

I looked at this site.My Pop Up blocker went absolutely beserk.This makes me very suspicious especially as SiteAdvisor takes a very cautious attitude.

What site are you referring to, Philip?
What the Bleep are you talking about? Are you Bleepin' kidding me?
You think this is Bleepin' funny?

#13 trriangle

trriangle

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2006 - 12:26 AM

Greetings,

I would like to recommend ISO-burner free tool. It works really great and never failed me. Also, it is small and extremely easy to operate. If you wish you might find more on it
http://www.ntfs.com/iso-burning.htm

#14 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2006 - 01:50 AM

www.burn4free.com/ -

Site Advisor advises caution so i did not go any further

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users