Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help upgrading Alienware X51

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Crowgaming

Crowgaming

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 03 July 2016 - 07:46 PM

Hello everyone! First off I want to apologize because I do not know all too much about computers, but I do love gaming on them. I am in the Army and finally had enough saved up to get a new computer. I bought an Alienware X51 desktop about a year ago and I want to begin upgrading it some. I am worried because the X51 has a very small case and I don't know what will fit or if I can even trade it out for a bigger case. I was thinking of getting the GeForce 1070, but not sure if it'll fit or even work with my computer without overheating it too bad. I am not sure about what PSU is needed or cooling. I am very new to all of this.

specs are

CPU : Intel Core i7 4790k @ 4.00Ghz

Ram : 16gb dual-channel DDR3 @ 800MHz

Motherboard : Alienware 0PGRP5 (SOCKET 0)

GPU : GeForce GTX 960 2047MB

I used piriform speccy to get this information. I apologize again for asking. I just don't want to waste a lot of money and mess up my system.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LiamP5

LiamP5

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 03 July 2016 - 08:38 PM

If GTX 960 is fit then probably GTX 1070 will also be fit. Post the specs of your psu also then it will easier to identity whether to upgrade your psu or not for GTX 1070
To achieve something first try
to get the knowledge about it.
Be happy, always try
for it
.......................Lets do it and learn from bleepingcomputer.com Never feel alone

#3 Crowgaming

Crowgaming
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 08:53 PM

I believe it is a 330W PSU

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 04 July 2016 - 05:53 AM

What monitor you are using?

#5 LiamP5

LiamP5

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 04 July 2016 - 07:37 AM

I believe it is a 330W PSU

It will not enough to run GTX 1070 try to get minimum 600watts. :whistle:

Edited by LiamP5, 04 July 2016 - 07:38 AM.

To achieve something first try
to get the knowledge about it.
Be happy, always try
for it
.......................Lets do it and learn from bleepingcomputer.com Never feel alone

#6 Crowgaming

Crowgaming
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 10:54 AM

What monitor you are using?

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=15241&gclid=CjwKEAjwkui7BRCf64DNtfDupgoSJAA_0LOoNNjt91-2FPF66LLw58wqLRm3Ovk40HANS5P3cYIdyRoCI2Dw_wcB 

something similar to that.

#7 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,455 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 01:04 PM

60Hz fullHD and quite slow response time then. Buying new graphic card (like GTX1070) is mostly waste as GTX960 is near perfect fit for your monitor.

Edited by hamluis, 04 July 2016 - 04:00 PM.

#8 Crowgaming

Crowgaming
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 01:35 PM

I plan on doing a upgrade to my monitor, PSU, GPU and case + whatever else is needed to upgrade to the 1070. I have about 1.5k I am trying to put into this, but spending less than that is acceptable. 

Edited by hamluis, 04 July 2016 - 03:59 PM.

#9 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,455 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 01:58 PM

For 1500K budget 4K display is possible. But you also need good video card and there are currently not good enough cards for 4K. You'll have to wait HBM2 cards if you want 4K gaming.

It also might be easier (wiser?) just sell your current machine and build another from scratch. As on upgrade you lose at least case+PSU that probably goes to waste, very hard to sell them because that's heavily customized machine.

Edited by hamluis, 04 July 2016 - 03:59 PM.

#10 Crowgaming

Crowgaming
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 02:40 PM

I thought about that, but my computer is like 1k new right now and I wouldn't get nearly that much. Selling it would take time and to buy everything over seems like a little much for me. Like I said before I am new to all this, so building computers isn't something I have experience with. I figure just taking components and shifting to a new case wouldn't be nearly as hard.

Edited by hamluis, 04 July 2016 - 03:58 PM.

#11 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,455 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 07:58 AM

I thought about that, but my computer is like 1k new right now and I wouldn't get nearly that much. Selling it would take time and to buy everything over seems like a little much for me. Like I said before I am new to all this, so building computers isn't something I have experience with. I figure just taking components and shifting to a new case wouldn't be nearly as hard.

Computers lose value in time, you just have to accept it. You also lose money if you practically throw away case and PSU. Switching components to new case is essentially like building new computer. Few steps less but not many.

So from two options (swap case and upgrade/sell machine and buy new one) I consider selling current and buying new to be better choice.

For big upgrade, you have to wait for new video cards though.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 05 July 2016 - 07:58 AM.

#12 Crowgaming

Crowgaming
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:10 AM

Computers lose value in time, you just have to accept it. You also lose money if you practically throw away case and PSU. Switching components to new case is essentially like building new computer. Few steps less but not many.

So from two options (swap case and upgrade/sell machine and buy new one) I consider selling current and buying new to be better choice.

I was planning to give my older parts to a friend trying to build a cheaper pc. It'd save him quite a bit to get a free geforce 960 plus the PSU and old monitor, but if I end up getting a new pc how do I go about keeping everything I already have on this computer? I have never had to upgrade or switch computers, so I don't want everything I already downloaded to be lost :/

#13 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,455 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 01:54 PM

I was planning to give my older parts to a friend trying to build a cheaper pc. It'd save him quite a bit to get a free geforce 960 plus the PSU and old monitor, but if I end up getting a new pc how do I go about keeping everything I already have on this computer? I have never had to upgrade or switch computers, so I don't want everything I already downloaded to be lost :/

Now it sounds like "upgrade" might be OK option as those parts are not going waste. So now upgrade is good option. If you want to keep your data files, then you keep all hard disks and SSD's and put them on your new machine. That way you retain your files.

For $1500 budget I still recommend high end GPU, but HBM2 video cards are at least few months away.

#14 Crowgaming

Crowgaming
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 03:07 PM

I was planning on 1070 because it's not super expensive and is a huge upgrade from my current. Just really want to make sure I don't buy anything and it not work with the setup.

#15 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,455 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2016 - 10:12 AM

I was planning on 1070 because it's not super expensive and is a huge upgrade from my current. Just really want to make sure I don't buy anything and it not work with the setup.

That's not huge upgrade IMO. Preferably future HBM2 cards. You also pretty much need better monitor in case you buy 1070.

But otherwise your system has no problem running 1070 if case and PSU are OK.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users