Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it normal to have both these files recording history?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kurtgillis12

kurtgillis12

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 03 July 2016 - 07:23 PM

C:\ Documents and Settings\ username\ Local Settings\ Temp\ History.IE5\ index.dat

C:\ Documents and Settings\ username\ Local Settings\History.IE5\ index.dat

I have past browsing located in both files, but I didn't think the temp one was normal. Anybody know why this is happening?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 04 July 2016 - 07:30 PM

Those files are Windows files the index.dat is a database file used by the Internet Explorer web browser. It is used to improve performance. Windows also uses to log which files you have opened as again it suppose to improve performance. The CCleaner, can completely remove index.dat files until they are recreated by Windows, though CCleaner, and perhaps the others, does not delete the hidden index.dat file in the Temporary Internet Files directory, which contains a copy of the cookies that were in the Cookies directory. However, if Secure Deletion is enabled in CCleaner then this will effectively wipe the contents of this file although the size will continue to increase with use.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#3 kurtgillis12

kurtgillis12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 07:39 PM

Those files are Windows files the index.dat is a database file used by the Internet Explorer web browser. It is used to improve performance. Windows also uses to log which files you have opened as again it suppose to improve performance. The CCleaner, can completely remove index.dat files until they are recreated by Windows, though CCleaner, and perhaps the others, does not delete the hidden index.dat file in the Temporary Internet Files directory, which contains a copy of the cookies that were in the Cookies directory. However, if Secure Deletion is enabled in CCleaner then this will effectively wipe the contents of this file although the size will continue to increase with use.

Ok yes I understand that. But I want to specifically draw your attention to where the 'Temp' directory is. Why is there an index.dat file recording things in the temp file? Everywhere I've looked did not show index.dat files in any temp directories. Thats the part that is confusing me.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 07:55 PM

Sorry i just notice one of the index.dat file is save into Temp folder which is not correct folder location have you deleted the content of the Temp folder which will delete index.dat file and check to see its again created in Temp folder if its then we need to check the folder Windows paths.

- Dalai Lama

#5 kurtgillis12

kurtgillis12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 08:22 PM

Sorry i just notice one of the index.dat file is save into Temp folder which is not correct folder location have you deleted the content of the Temp folder which will delete index.dat file and check to see its again created in Temp folder if its then we need to check the folder Windows paths.

The computer stopped working and I have to take it to the repair shop to get it looked at, so I can't try to see what happens.

If I did delete it, and it was created again, what would that mean?

Edited by kurtgillis12, 04 July 2016 - 08:22 PM.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 08:53 PM

Well maybe some other software you are using could be saving the index.dat file to Temp folder because Windows is creating the index.dat file within correct folder path which is C:\ Documents and Settings\ username\ Local Settings\ Temp\ History.IE5\ index.dat or maybe i don't know you have try this but this folder path has been changed and the index.dat within this folder is old only way to know this is to delete the C:\ Documents and Settings\ username\ Local Settings\ Temp\ History.IE5\ index.dat file and see it will get created again.

- Dalai Lama

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users