Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow! Computer hangs and says unresponsive

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 trimad22

trimad22

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 03 July 2016 - 06:35 PM

I am trying to load a page but everything just sort of hangs. Bottom of the screen (Chrome) trying to load this forum just says waiting for cache.... And every now and then I get the option to wait or kill and unresponsive shows on the top.

Happens both in IE10 and Chrome also shockwaves crashes!

Typing on my phone now because pages just aren't loading.

Could it be a virus or something? Not sure where to even start!

It is a Lenovo laptop running Windows 8.
Even trying to open control panel takes much longer then it should, blue wheel just spins :/

Edited to add -- I tried to do a system restore and got a disk error - said it has to run a disk check or fix something before it could restore and now this recovery screen pops up.

Have I for sure lost everything? Or is there still a way to get my stuff of the hard drive?

Attached Files

Edited by trimad22, 03 July 2016 - 11:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 axe0

axe0

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 04 July 2016 - 06:10 AM

Hi trimad22,

You may not have lost everything, you could try to use Linux or Ubuntu or other operating systems to recover your files.

You could run Linux from a USB so you do not have to install anything, it runs completely from the RAM (and as such it is sometimes also used to test the RAM in certain situations), this way you may be able to backup all your data that you do not want to loose.

Link: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Kind regards,
Axe0

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 06:19 AM

I agree with axe0 - the very first step here is to recover your files.

If (as I suspect) the hard drive is dying - you may only have a very limited time to save the files.

Each use of the hard drive increases the likelyhood that the drive will die - so only turn it on if you're going to try and recover the data.

Once the hard drive completely dies, data recovery becomes very, very expensive.

Post back once you've saved your data and we'll start with some diagnostics.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 trimad22

trimad22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 07:18 AM

Thanks. I got to the troubleshooting screen before heading to bed (and before I saw this) and started a refresh.
It has been running for about 7 hours now and at 23%.

I am sure I am ruining it now as its been going so long and I can't stop it :( I will try the suggestion above if given the opportunity once it's done.

#5 axe0

axe0

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 04 July 2016 - 07:23 AM

If any problem occurs causing the refresh to cancel, please do not try it again but first backup your stuff :)

Kind regards,
Axe0

#6 trimad22

trimad22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 03:02 PM

It was at 27% when I left this morning but when I got home it was just a black screen.
Not sure if I should just shut it down at this point or what :/

#7 trimad22

trimad22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 07:25 PM

Made it this far :

Attached Files

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 07:31 PM

What is the screenshot?  The last I knew, you were trying to Refresh the system.

STOP what you are doing.  Each use of the hard drive increases the chance that it's going to die in the middle of whatever you're doing (and it may have already died).

If the hard drive has died, it can cost up to $2,000.00 (US) to recover it - if it's recoverable.

If you don't backup your data, you may not be able to later on.

If a backup isn't important to you, then post back and we'll start with some hardware diagnostics.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 trimad22

trimad22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 07:33 PM

The screenshot is what happened when I booted from USB with Linux -- what you posted above.

Edited to add -- so I am an idiot and booted from a blank USB :( Turns out there was an SD card in this computer and the files went to that instead.

Waiting for your approval before I boot from the correct one this time :)

Edited by trimad22, 04 July 2016 - 07:45 PM.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2016 - 07:44 PM

Ahh, I see!

I don't do Linux - axe0 does.

Let's wait for him to return.

If he doesn't come back soon, try the Ultimate Boot CD. http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Boot to it and use it's file explorer options to copy the files over.

#11 trimad22

trimad22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 12:20 AM

Ahh, I see!

I don't do Linux - axe0 does.

Let's wait for him to return.

If he doesn't come back soon, try the Ultimate Boot CD. http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Boot to it and use it's file explorer options to copy the files over.

Well I tried to download the Ultimate Boot CD -- took about 5 hours but I did it!! Once I downloaded it I put it through Universal USB Installer so I could install from my USB but that file gave me errors too :/

Something tells me it wasn't meant to be. Not sure what I am doing wrong but here is a screenshot of the errors I got:

Attached Files

#12 trimad22

trimad22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 11:24 AM

Ok got Ultimate Boot CD to work and am at the main screen but not sure where or what to do next!! 

#13 trimad22

trimad22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 07:33 PM

I really hope it is ok to post here as I have been getting help on another part of the forum up until now.

This is the original thread so if this needs to deleted or moved I totally understand....http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/618886/slow-computer-hangs-and-says-unresponsive/

I want to try and get my photos and files if I can... I am sitting on the main UBCD menu and from reading other forums I think I need to selected Parted Magic but want to be sure.

So looking for some help/experience with trying to recover my files.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,244 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 07:59 PM

Yes, go to Parted Magic. You will need an external drive to copy the files to. Copy, do not Move. Your hard drives will be labeled differently in Parted Magic. They will be listed as sda, sdb, sdc etc. 

See this guide.Once your disks are mounted you can copy and paste your files/folders.

http://fixit.litten.com/linuxfilecopy.html

#15 trimad22

trimad22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 08:28 PM

Thank you!!

Please bare with me -- I have no idea what drive is what!
I do know the last one is my external where I want the files to go but not sure what the rest is.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users