Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unsecure cause for shutdowns

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Barnack

Barnack

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 03 July 2016 - 12:31 PM

Damn it, my struggle with shutdowns continues.

First of all: CPU temperature has been fixed with water cooling. It doesn't get over 60 degrees even playing. It only reaches shutdown-causing temperatures when doing high demanding tasks like video encoding. In theese situations i run BES cpu limiter so that the questioned program will use less cpu even though it takes more time to complete its work.

Second: my case is an homemade tower case made of steel so there may be some air circulation troubles. It has 5 fans on bottom, small openings on the back in the opposite side of motherboard and bigger on the side of motherboard. CPU has water cooling. Since motherboard's dissipator used to be hot as hell i added an inner fan pointig towards it to make air there move better (without that fan air was kinda stuck there, which isn't that much good).

Now let's go to the point: the shutdowns.

Problems identifyed: the mentioned CPU temp, which is fixed or in any case under control.

When it occured in non CPU high temperature (or not that i noticed)

- Playing WarThunder with high settings while recording with Open Broadcast Software.

I'm not sure about cpu temp when the shudown occured, i only know that after 40-50 minutes of recording while playing cpu temp was 53 degrees, nothing to worry about. The shutdown occured after almost 90 minutes. Just waited a little and the computer restarted with no problems.

Hardware situation right when the shutdown occurred:

Touching motherboard's dissipator i felt it was hot as hell. More hell than usual. Around in internet they say it's pretty well made, but i've some doubts since it really was... hot.

But also graphics card was pretty hot, i've never felt it as hot as today.

What i'd ask:

0) Do you think motherboard-graphics card temperature can be the cause?

1) Sould i extend water cooling to motherboard and/or graphics card?

2) Would extending water cooling to other components negatively affect its performance on the cpu? If yes, how much?

3) In case i need to extend water cooling to motherboard there's quite a big problem: the mofset for my model is everywhere out of stock :mellow:  (http://www.frozencpu.com/products/17962/ex-blc-1390/EK_ASUS_Crosshair_V_Formula-Z_Full_Board_Cooling_Block_Kit_-_Acetal_Nickel_CSQ_EK-FB_ASUS_C5F-Z_-_AcetalNickel.html)

4) Would having an additional graphics card reduce the amount of work done by a single card and then reduce card's own heat?

- Watching a video from internet while doing nothing else:

I really can't explain this one. After 2 hours wandering in internet looking for stuff like gameplay videos and tv series it shut down. Boom! No reason. Everything was cold at touch (motherboard, cpu, graphics, ram). I tryed to restart and it shut down again even before loading Windows. Waited 10-15 minutes, tryed to restart and again it shut down before loading Windows. Then i detached energy, waited a couple of minutes, and then it started properly with no problems at all. Then i started wondering... what does change after i detach energy for 2 minutes that doesn't change after 10 minutes of staying off? The only thing i could think is ram. But if a ram block is damged problems should occur in the moment it starts being used. Still sometimes i got over 4 gb of ram under use without problems. Then questions are

5) What can be the cause of this unexplainable chain of shutdowns?

6) Is it possible that just a portion of ram is damged, so that it shuts down only when ram usage is high enough to reach that portion (idk how it works, maybe i'm just saying something absurd)

7) If that's possible how should i test it? Using only one block a time and trying to bring it at 100% usage till computer gets stuck, and if it shuts down i know which block is the cause? How do i fill the ram like that? xD (maybe monitoring it, so high-demanding fullscreen-only games are excluded)

Hardware:
Motherboard:
Asus ROG Crosshair V formula z

Processor:
AMD FX-9590 Eight-Core Processor

Graphics:
Sapphire AMD radeon 2gb GHz 7870

Ram:
2x4,00 GB

Windows 10, 64 bit
Windows XP Professional
Ms Dos <<that one doesn't cause temperature problems neither it reaches half gb of ram usage of course

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 04 July 2016 - 07:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 03 July 2016 - 02:34 PM

1.  Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

2.  Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.  

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Louis

#3 Barnack

Barnack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 04:16 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/INvBLCPBoMzX1VitZTg4uz4

with mini tool box all i get is in italian (errors, lists etcc) (i did no Language choice at all, don't know the reason). Still as i said the problem is definetly non software-related so i don't see the point of all that.

There's just a thing i found out, which makes me quite worryed... quite a lot:

AI Suite reports CPU temperature at 40-42 degrees

hwmonitor 1.29 used to report the same (interrupting ai suite, i know that many temp controls contemporary may not get correct readings)

But Piriform Speecy's CPU reported temperature is going from 47 to 63 o.o

If i interrupt speecy and immediatelly run AI Suite or hwmonitor they both report the same mad high temperature and then cool down till 23 degrees. Is speecy's temperature reading somewhat incorredt and alterating other's reading? I don't think it's a porgram like speecy that brings cpu temperature from 23 to 60 degrees...

========================= Memory info: ===================================

Percentage of memory in use: 38%
Total physical RAM: 8084.92 MB
Available physical RAM: 4935.92 MB
Total Virtual: 9364.92 MB
Available Virtual: 5880.62 MB

========================= Partitions: =====================================

1 Drive c: (Win10-500) (Fixed) (Total:465.21 GB) (Free:89.95 GB) NTFS
2 Drive d: () (Fixed) (Total:1863.01 GB) (Free:1560.47 GB) NTFS

========================= Users: ========================================

Account utente per \\FISSO-MIKY-WIN1

Administrator            DefaultAccount           Guest                   
SephirothBahamut        
Esecuzione comando riuscita.

**** End of log ****

Edited by hamluis, 12 July 2016 - 12:45 PM.

#4 Barnack

Barnack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2016 - 04:21 PM

Also i noticed while running only speecy and internet Explorer (no other programs opened at all, apart file explorer) it's stuck at 50-60 degrees, when doing the same with ai suite it's around 32-36 and lastly hwmonitor reports 16-28 which seems quite awfully low even having water cooling consired air is at 20-23 degrees... Well then... which one should i damn trust? O.o o.o o.O

#5 Barnack

Barnack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 05:25 AM

may i.. up?

#6 Barnack

Barnack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:51 AM

Update:

today it got worse. Now it only starts turning on. Before loading Windows or even before entering bios (canc button does nothing) it just shuts down. No temp problems at all. I tryed removing a Ram bank, then removing the other, and then removing both and putting there another one which i'm sure it works. Still the problem persisted.

Motherboard has a bios updating system from usb which works without computer starting, so i downloaded last bios and installed it. When it finished computer started but again, it turned off before loading either Windows or bios. Shouldn't even be a power supply problem, since till Yesterday it worked fine even doing harder thing than... startup.

Please can someone tell me something?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users